legal help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by max6674
    What if he has ragged it about over the weekend or is trying it on... ?

Sold as seen.. tough titty for the buyer if it was me who sold it

would get it checked myself ,if it was fubarred would give buyer a couple of hundred ,
    dont think this thread is showing prospective buyers of surfs that buying a surf of here would be wise,
    what happens if new buyer turns up on this site ???
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
      would get it checked myself ,if it was fubarred would give buyer a couple of hundred ,
      dont think this thread is showing prospective buyers of surfs that buying a surf of here would be wise,
      Guess he can read this thread and see where he stands.

My head cracked about 300miles after I bought it from a dealer ( it did take 4 months or so to do the milage though) and when the head came off it was obvious that it had been cracked ( across all 4 valve ports) for a long time, and the fact that the air con was empty, sugesting the head had been removed, inspected and refitted and sold on, would lead me to believe that someone knew it was a lemon.

Still, I took it on the chin and got it fixed without whining at the seller, maybe I'm a mug, but sh1t happens and you just gotta deal with it, not expect everybody else to bail you out.
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Did you record the mileage of the vehicle when you sold it? If so, and you then find that he's put a load of miles on it since bought, then you have no reason to help him out. However, if he's only done sufficient to get home and a run into town then you would morally have some liability as there must have been a fault at the time you sold it, even if you didn't know.

I think you really need more info and don't take anything at face value. He could be trying to scam you.
        Mike G

Comment

thats what i was thinking.

isnt there the possibility of a mis-diagnosis?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

There's always the probability that someone here is selling their Surf in good faith, and actually needs the money.

If they pay for repairs, without knowing whether the guy who bought it has caned it stupidly, and leaving themselves out of pocket, they're a fool.

You buy a car from a dealer, pay a bit more and are protected by consumer law. You buy private, you get a cheaper deal and no protection if things go pear-shaped. You pays your money, you takes your choice. Tough break.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy

There's always that possibility, but it'll cost money to find out one way or the other, and who you gonna trust?
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                Guess he can read this thread and see where he stands.

My head cracked about 300miles after I bought it from a dealer ( it did take 4 months or so to do the milage though) and when the head came off it was obvious that it had been cracked ( across all 4 valve ports) for a long time, and the fact that the air con was empty, sugesting the head had been removed, inspected and refitted and sold on, would lead me to believe that someone knew it was a lemon.

Still, I took it on the chin and got it fixed without whining at the seller, maybe I'm a mug, but sh1t happens and you just gotta deal with it, not expect everybody else to bail you out.
                4 months bob this was 3 days !! ok im not gonna get in a arguement over this thread ,
                all of you saying tough luck i cant believe
                im leaving it at that

Comment

4 months bob this was 3 days !! ok im not gonna get in a arguement over this thread ,
                  im leaving it at that
                  My next Surf is coming from Joker...

And I'll be back in a week for a full metallic black respray cos it was scratched when you sold it to me!!!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy

As plumb Bob states there is always that possibility, the only sure-fire way is to take the head off.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but if the head is cracked you will lose water, possibly blow water hoses and suffer cracked header tanks, i've not known a cracked head to cause a vehicle to stop unless somthing else has gone as well,

For example, I bought the missus 2.4 as a non runner, the symptoms were not starting and smoke coming from under the bonnet. Closer inspection showed 2 blown hoses, what had happened is that the pressure from the cracked head had burst the hoses and the vehicle had been driven until the head gasket gave out. When I stripped hers down the gasket had clearly blown at No4, and also the head was cracked.

When my head went it manifested itself as a cracked header tank (4 times) but the vehicle kept running.

Really he has no comeback, if you want to put your mind at rest offer to foot some of the bill, but I would be very wary of a garage who can claim the head is gone by simply teasting it at the roadside
                    Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      My next Surf is coming from Joker...

And I'll be back in a week for a full metallic black respray cos it was scratched when you sold it to me!!!

if you look at the small [very small] writing it states it was for s$$$$ only

Comment

im leaving it at that

Yes but that's only 3 days milage in 4 months, it sat on the drive most of the time, and sitting on the drive don't crack the head, and as said, you just don't know what has been done to it in the short time he had it, some people buy their first 4wd and the rally it off road to within an inch of its life, I know a guy whos idea of offroading is something close to the dakar rally, and no standard vehicle can cope with that.

Once the vehicle is out of your sight and control, it is also out of your responsibilty.

None of us know this guy or his style of driving or his ethics, so it's all conjecture at this point.
                        Rob

Comment

legally, you can just walk away from the whole thing and say 'phew' that was lucky.

buyer beware on second hand private sales, thats why traders sell the lemons they buy in the autotrader as private sales.
                          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                            Who was it on here that the same thing happened to when he sold his truck and the head went but he said to the buyer if you get any probs then get back to me and he ended up paying some of the bill
                            That was me. Im well aware thats it " buyer beware" but I sold my truck for a good price and after two years of trouble free ownership had every faith in it. I told the buyer that I was not a dealer, and was not offering guarantees, but that if he had a major problem to give me a shout and we would see. If nothing else I could give him advice after Id sought it from the good folks on here.

As it was the head went. To cut a long story short I advised him where to get his head and when the job was completed I paid part of his costs as a goodwill measure. I thought it was the decent thing to do and still think that I was right. Maybe Im a mug, and I dont suppose Id get a similar courtesy if the same happened to me but I feel I did the right thing.

How mad would you be if you paid a decent price for a motor and a few days later found yourself facing a £1000 bill. ( less than delighted I expect).

Had I been selling a " banger" at banger prices it would have been different. I treated him the way Id like to be treated and to be honest, even though it cost me I feel pretty good about it. I feel I did the decent thing, so just for clarity I didnt "end up" paying some of the bill because of any legal issues or statements made. I paid some of because I wanted to.

Bogus
                            Last edited by Bogus; 14 August 2007, 08:11. Reason: clarity
                            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                              That was me. Im well aware thats it " buyer beware" but I sold my truck for a good price and after two years of trouble free ownership had every faith in it. I told the buyer that I was not a dealer, and was not offering guarantees, but that if he had a major problem to give me a shout and we would see. If nothing else I could give him advice after Id sought it from the good folks on here.

As it was the head went. To cut a long story short I advised him where to get his head and when the job was completed I paid part of his costs as a goodwill measure. I thought it was the decent thing to do and still think that I was right. Maybe Im a mug, and I dont suppose Id get a similar courtesy if the same happened to me but I feel I did the right thing.

How mad would you be if you paid a decent price for a motor and a few days later found yourself facing a £1000 bill. ( less than delighted I expect).

Had I been selling a " banger" at banger prices it would have been different. I treated him the way Id like to be treated and to be honest, even though it cost me I feel pretty good about it. I feel I did the decent thing, so just for clarity I didnt "end up" paying some of the bill because of any legal issues or statements made. I paid some of because I wanted to.

Bogus
                              thanks for all your imput will offer to pay part of repair bill

Comment

Good on you. I think you know if youre dealing with a chancer or not or if hes thrashed it round a muddy field for 3 days. Its not nice counting the dosh from the sale and then returning some of it but I think youre probably doing the right thing. Much respect

Bogus
                                Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                                X