Gearbox Oil Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Oil Change

I`ve just been quoted £130 for an oil change,seems abit steep to me.
    Am I right or is that ok?

are they supplying new gearbox ???
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Do it yourself for about £8.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Or ask STEVO
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Rich
          I`ve just been quoted £130 for an oil change,seems abit steep to me.
          Am I right or is that ok?

Get yourself a haynes manual, and it's quite simple, should take about 1/2 hr, and cost of materials.

Is it a manual or auto box??

The fluid changes at the garages are generally very expensive for what you get.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Its an auto,think I`ll have a go myself.

Comment

It's a little harder and the ATF (auto transmission fluid ) costs more but it's really only like changing the engine oil, but without the hassle of the filter.

A word of advice, check that the fill plug will come out BEFORE you drain the oil if it is stguck tight, you can abandon until a replacement is found.

Having said that, does the auto have a fill plug, or is it filled via the dipsick??

Any of you auto guys know, mines a manual, so not totally sure.
              Rob

Comment

done mine the other day its easy enough even for me
                if you drain from gb sump you will need to replace about 5 litres,
                put sump plug back then refill from dipstick

Comment

The auto can be filled via the dipstick or i think if you take the hoses of that go into the bottom of the rad and put the atf in a bucket and start the engine and the other pipe in to a empty bucket so you can refill and empty at the same time,you can do it like that but someone will let you know for sure
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                    It's a little harder and the ATF (auto transmission fluid ) costs more but it's really only like changing the engine oil, but without the hassle of the filter.

A word of advice, check that the fill plug will come out BEFORE you drain the oil if it is stguck tight, you can abandon until a replacement is found.

Having said that, does the auto have a fill plug, or is it filled via the dipsick??

Any of you auto guys know, mines a manual, so not totally sure.
                    dipstick lol no not you bob

about £20 from halfrauds for 5 litres

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                      done mine the other day its easy enough even for me
                      if you drain from gb sump you will need to replace about 5 litres,
                      put sump plug back then refill from dipstick
                      Just checked haynes manual, and it would appear that there is a filter to be changed, although this requires the removal of the transmission pan and filler tube, and will need new gaskit too.

How many of you guys do the filter when changing the fluid?

If you need a write up let me know, I can copy out the procedure from the manual.
                      Rob

Comment

The filter is just a metal mesh/screen - it just needs cleaning in degreaser along with the inside of the sump. The seal between the sump and the gearbox is just red silicone RTF sealant aka instant gasket. I've done it once on my 3rd gen - it wasn't too difficult. Someone told me that it was a little more awkward on a 2nd gen though due to clearance of the exhaust or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          The filter is just a metal mesh/screen - it just needs cleaning in degreaser along with the inside of the sump. The seal between the sump and the gearbox is just red silicone RTF sealant aka instant gasket. I've done it once on my 3rd gen - it wasn't too difficult. Someone told me that it was a little more awkward on a 2nd gen though due to clearance of the exhaust or something like that.

Glad I got a manual then.
                          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob

It's the front propshaft, the sump can't be removed unless it's out of the way.
                            Only need to drop one end though.

Comment

Working...
                            X