Where's Murphy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's Murphy?

Just don't know when I'll be able to get my hands on my Surf!! Murphy is at his best I tell you....

Have just got the shipping date from Japan which puts it into the UK on the 6th April - give or take a day or two. Add to that a couple of days to clear customs and we're into the Easter Break - and then I'm away for a week.

So Pick the car up when I get back - do the mods for the MOT and then have to wait for the registration - one car down - while I service and polish it I guess.

(Talking of mods - fog light - I have an A bar (with lights) that will be coming off. Not knowing how they are wired yet but could I use their existing switch / relay to run to the rear fog?)

So we're looking at the back end of April before I can become free. Aahhhhhhh.

Anyone know how to conjure up favorable winds from the East so the ship gets in early??

In the mean time I'll just stare lovingly at my pictures. Not a substitute at all.
    Hoops

The difference between stupidity and genius.... is that genius has its limits!!

Fog Light

Just to let you know that if you do a search on fog lights you will find stacks of useful info. Including the wiring advice.

There are a few rules on them for the MOT. In short, mount it on the right side of the bumper, and ensure that you have an illuminated switch.

I bought a cheapo job from Halfords, plumbed it into the wiring behind the cigarette light (as I figured that this would have a hefty fuse), and bought a bog standard switch and holding plate.

It was even possible to run the wiring behind the dash without taking it all apart using a straightened coathanger!

Just to let you know that if you take all of the paperwork to the local DVLA they will retain it for 3 days before issuing the reg number.

If you need any more info try www.HitEnter.Co.Uk and select the motoring link. Click on the animated sports car. Full run down on importing plus links to MOT sites.

Cheers

Rob G
    Last edited by wibblywobbly; 18 February 2004, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops
      Have just got the shipping date from Japan which puts it into the UK on the 6th April - give or take a day or two. Add to that a couple of days to clear customs and we're into the Easter Break - and then I'm away for a week.

So Pick the car up when I get back - do the mods for the MOT and then have to wait for the registration - one car down - while I service and polish it I guess.
      Hoop's

Are you aware that you will have to pay storage charges if you leave it at the port for that long.

Comment

Thanks Andy - just to make me feel even better!! You don't know what the storage charges are?

Oops, 'by becoming actually free' - I mean't being on the road with my Surf - that elusive thought of driving pleasure....

Not knowing about these things - are the ships on time? It's supposed to arrive on the 6th but the latest I can pick it up is the 10th before i'm off - do you think thats enough time given that the 9th is a bank holiday? (easter weekend) After that, I can pick it up on the 20th.... unless I can send someone else...

hoops
        Hoops

Comment

Hoops

The storage is only about £10 per day max after 5 days in port,but have you looked at the web site of the shipping company,it will show when it's due into Southampton.

I get a delivery company to do my surfs,it's only £45 + any fuel that they need,done on trade plates and you either pay the driver or they send you an invoice,saves me getting on the train or getting a lift down there.

Comment

Thats a thought - if I can't make it, it sounds like a damn fine idea. I'll look into it - think there may be some posts on here about delivery too - will have a look.

Ship is due to leave on the 25/2 and dock on the 6/4 so I will know if it will be late - just hope everything goes smoothly. The master plan being I can pick it up on the 8th - prepare for the MOT on the 9th - MOT on the 10th and send away to the DVLA ready for when I get back to do the rest.... please

hoop
            Hoops

Comment

Working...
            X