whats the damage? : fuel leak from veg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veggie Surfer
    It is quite and easy job. And if you stick to 50/50 with your veg it should help.
    cheers mate ill keep lookin.
    i want to run 100% veg. im ni france/italy in a couple of weeks so the hot weather should be fine to run it without any heaters.
    i bought the gasket kit from milners, thats the one i needed wasnt it.
    do you think i wont be ok if i run 100%, at 100% of the time? ive been told to flush with only derv every now and then to help it out.
    what do they mean when they say dont drop that round nut in the pump? what do you do since it dont come out with the lid?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Well when I took lid off after undoing the centre sensor nut first, then the 4 bolts I lifted the lid up as there is spare wire flex inside the pump, then pushed it out wiv ma thumb, and it dropped into diesel pump, so i picked it out and left it hangin over the side, no big deal! Its only if pump is moving i think you'd have a problem. Obviously try to keep it out, but no drama either way.

I hear alot from people who say they run 100% Veg all the time, but I dont agree with it personally, Too Risky, especially from morning start. If I where you I would do a simple two tank system costing relatively little. If you want I could send you some plans, and instructions? with photos, of the necessary parts on the car.

Let me know and ill draw up some and send them to you in an e-mail. If your prepared to change top seal on your pump then this will be a doddle, and the only safe way to run 100% svo
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Well when I took lid off after undoing the centre sensor nut first, then the 4 bolts I lifted the lid up as there is spare wire flex inside the pump, then pushed it out wiv ma thumb, and it dropped into diesel pump, so i picked it out and left it hangin over the side, no big deal! Its only if pump is moving i think you'd have a problem. Obviously try to keep it out, but no drama either way.

I hear alot from people who say they run 100% Veg all the time, but I dont agree with it personally, Too Risky, especially from morning start. If I where you I would do a simple two tank system costing relatively little. If you want I could send you some plans, and instructions? with photos, of the necessary parts on the car.

Let me know and ill draw up some and send them to you in an e-mail. If your prepared to change top seal on your pump then this will be a doddle, and the only safe way to run 100% svo

is the top seal the one that is visible once you un-do the 4 alan key bolts? i have the kit on order so might as well when im in there.

i tried to take a quick look where its leaking from on saturday. seems like its the corner closest to the engine on the bulkhead side.
        i agree with you though, the only thing is i dont think your allowed to take fuel onto the ferry. so will have to buy it there OR half fill or mix with some veg oil in the 20litre botboxes.

to clarify, the seals that i will be replacing is just two? the o ring, and the top cover seal? is this the only ones that go normally with efi? and is it the only ones i can do with the pump still bolted to the engine?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yep, the top 2 are about the only ones you can do in situ. I did the one under the cover plate(4 alan bolts( and the one on the sensor. Mines now leaking from underneath the pump. It's eased off a lot since I wound back the pump screw. I'm gonna lob in 5L of ATF on Thurs, when I'm off.

Comment

thanks for the help you lot.
            hope mine isnt leaking underneath
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Yeah thats right, even if it dont cure it completely, it will make it manageable, ATF oil is a good idea if it still leaks, but sounds like it will cure it. Oh and veg oil is a food stuff, not a fuel therefore different laws. Have a look at item number:170135664906 on ebay, very easy fit and perfect for your holiday, although 80% is all i would put in.
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Incidentally Hornet, where is the the screww you wound back, and which way/ how far did you turn it? Only thinkin about leanin mine down a bit
                Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

really? only 80%? ill take that advice then and not go so much like i just have.

also, the centre screw on the top of the fuel pump, now u just posted that, is this the one that regulates the amount of fuel that goes in? when i take the top plate off how am i going to get it back how it was??
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No you dont need to adjust anything when changing the seals, this is just something that i want to do that hornet mentioned, as it lessens the pressure in the pump, reducing risk of leak, its not in the lid, thats just a sensor with a big nut.

Did you have a look at that ebay item? What did you think? Also the reason why 80% max is because in the morning there will be fuel between the ebay unit and pump and injectors, this is unheated and creates more pressure in the pump on start up, creating a higher risk of failure.
                    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

saw in wickes today a box of 400 assorted o-ring seals for £8 almost bought it and then thought i'd probably only ever use half a dozen of them at the most
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

No you dont need to adjust anything when changing the seals, this is just something that i want to do that hornet mentioned, as it lessens the pressure in the pump, reducing risk of leak, its not in the lid, thats just a sensor with a big nut.

Did you have a look at that ebay item? What did you think? Also the reason why 80% max is because in the morning there will be fuel between the ebay unit and pump and injectors, this is unheated and creates more pressure in the pump on start up, creating a higher risk of failure.
                        ok i see the ebay thing.
                        not got the dosh.. and wouldnt have the time or tools to do it anyway. but thanks.

think my fuel pump has already been turned down, cos previous owner posted on here that he had fiddled. whats that big sensor for?
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Its the actuator, it responds to the crank shaft sensor to tell the pump to let the fuel through when engine turns over. Simple as that.

Have a good time mate, Lidl do veg oil at 49p litre.
                          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Incidentally Hornet, where is the the screww you wound back, and which way/ how far did you turn it? Only thinkin about leanin mine down a bit
                            It's on the top to the rear of the fuel pump and underneath a thimble sized cap. Widing anti clockwise lessens the fuel delivery.

Comment

have to agree with previous posts on veg/diesel mix, I've been using this method for a while, 50/50 mix with 1/2 a litre of unleaded or (if you can get it) RedX for diesel engines(more expensive but it's full of additives that clean and improve running) every other tankfull. My pump seal went too and it was the top seal and the o-ring in the pump, got them from Milner off road and fitted n situ in the car, garage charged me abnhours labour to fit them as i didn't have time, don't dispair, it's not so bad

Best of luck

Comment

Working...
                              X