whats the damage? : fuel leak from veg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the damage? : fuel leak from veg

o well it happened. after fitting my new rad i was checking for least and noticed drip drip of clear oil.... veg oil it must be.
    so from what ive read earlier some people get a leek and some others a leak (lol) from their fuel pump itself?
    so do i need to source new seals (is it viton seals) and get someone to take the pump apart, fit, and then re-fit to the car?
    just wondering how much im looking at for the work? and also where can i get the seals so i can supply them to whoever will do the work.

im guessing its fuel pump out, strip down and rebuild?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by dieselboy
    o well it happened. after fitting my new rad i was checking for least and noticed drip drip of clear oil.... veg oil it must be.
    so from what ive read earlier some people get a leek and some others a leak (lol) from their fuel pump itself?
    so do i need to source new seals (is it viton seals) and get someone to take the pump apart, fit, and then re-fit to the car?
    just wondering how much im looking at for the work? and also where can i get the seals so i can supply them to whoever will do the work.

im guessing its fuel pump out, strip down and rebuild?
    Seal kit is £7.80+p&p from milners ..........If it's just the top seal 'It can be done insitu .....If it's on of the others it's a pump out job .......Thats a cambelt out

http://forums.bauchan.org/toyota/viewtopic.php?id=232

http://forums.bauchan.org/toyota/viewtopic.php?id=269

Check all the pipes going to the pump and the return pipes ontop......also give it a good clean around the pump to trace the leak
    Last edited by Woodzie; 28 July 2007, 17:29.
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

great. i dont even have £50 let alone £800
      will try putting diesel back in see if it fixes it.

i read that its most common on the top seal and thats a non pump out job. but i dont even know what im looking at to be honest..

TONYN?!?!

this must have only happened this week, because i remember last week looking back at where i always park, and being content that there is no substances left on the floor when i leave.

also if i let it drip on my hand and smell it there is not any noticable smell of diesel. now im being optimistic that may be the veg/diesel didnt really mix that well this time, and if i go and stick a 10ers worth in it will solve my issues.
      Pleeeeasssseee lol
      Last edited by dieselboy; 28 July 2007, 18:04.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Just had same prob when i fitted my 2 tank system, top seal and switch o-ring cheap fix and works well. i did mine in situ,1 remove airbox, 2. undo lardge central nut in middle of pump lid (unplug it of course), cos this has to drop into pump, not come off with lid. 3. undo the 4 alan key bolts on top, firstly take off two pipes on top and plug them. 5. Take off lid, thouroghly clean it and remove old seals from lid and sensor, 6. replace seals clean the area where it sits again and check for any grit. 7. Replace blots evenly, replace pipes, plug in and wait a few turns of engine for it to start. Takes about hour and a half

Got my kit from milners £7 = vat and shipping £14 all in.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Also back to diesel will solve it slowly, as you have to wait for seal to swell again. But dont leave out the veggie idea, change the seal and let the town smell your fryer
          Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Really stuck, give us a shout 07876196790
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

thanks a lot veggie surfer!. ill be doing this next weekend then. i feel drained today now, ive just had a pilava with the rad replacement. looked at the time and it was 4pm a min ago! took me like 4 hours to replace it then i did some other stuff. hope i have the common fault! lol

cheers for the offer as well.

just another thing: this new seal, will it eventually leak again or will it be good for years now?

with 24 mpg, veggy oil is about all i can afford hehe
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                great. i dont even have £50 let alone £800
                will try putting diesel back in see if it fixes it.

i read that its most common on the top seal and thats a non pump out job. but i dont even know what im looking at to be honest..

TONYN?!?!

this must have only happened this week, because i remember last week looking back at where i always park, and being content that there is no substances left on the floor when i leave.

also if i let it drip on my hand and smell it there is not any noticable smell of diesel. now im being optimistic that may be the veg/diesel didnt really mix that well this time, and if i go and stick a 10ers worth in it will solve my issues.
                Pleeeeasssseee lol
                Try some atf oil in with the diesel /veg mix it might help to soften the seals...........The seals are 14 years old and do go hard after time .........

Plumb bob's £800 was for a non efi pump ......tony is doing mine in august , about five hours labour plus a seal kit . I have already replaced the top one .....then another one went

NOTE the o ring for the sensor is not included in the kit , and do not drop the sensor into the pump when you undo the retaining nut
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Should last as long as the truck, when you get new seal youll see its about twice as thick as the old one. It is very likely to be the top seals, very very likely. Even if its coming from elsewhere aswell, it will be vastly improved. Also make sure rapeseed oil is what you use, its the most effective. and if you drop in a bit of unleaded 5% or so, it will help cos the leaner it is the less pressure the pump builds to. get some unleaded in a can and mix it before putting it in. Helps alot. I have a heated twin tank system for 100% veg. But un converted, no reason why you cant do 40% diesel 55% veg oil 5% ish unleaded. Equals the equivalent of 73p litre for fuel.

No probs mate, remember there is always a solution
                  Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Is yours the EFI pump?
                    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Scratch that it will be EFI, in which case dont worry, alot easier to work on.
                      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie Surfer
                        Should last as long as the truck, when you get new seal youll see its about twice as thick as the old one. It is very likely to be the top seals, very very likely. Even if its coming from elsewhere aswell, it will be vastly improved. Also make sure rapeseed oil is what you use, its the most effective. and if you drop in a bit of unleaded 5% or so, it will help cos the leaner it is the less pressure the pump builds to. get some unleaded in a can and mix it before putting it in. Helps alot. I have a heated twin tank system for 100% veg. But un converted, no reason why you cant do 40% diesel 55% veg oil 5% ish unleaded. Equals the equivalent of 73p litre for fuel.

No probs mate, remember there is always a solution
                        im not too keen on the idea of putting petrol in the fuel tank. i once got carb cleaner too close to the air intake. i wont be doing that again.
                        thanks again for the info, looks like i will need to do more reading so i dont break anything while im in there
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

easy peasy..... i ordered the parts! now just got to work out how to do it without breaking anything
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie

NOTE the o ring for the sensor is not included in the kit , and do not drop the sensor into the pump when you undo the retaining nut
                            how do i stop this from happening, and what size O ring do i need? take it i can get from b&Q or wickes or a hardware shop? do i need just a standard width ring or is it thicker or more like a doughnut?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Any vehicle local main dealer or mechanic should have a selection of sizes in stack anyway, i got mine for free, just askin him for a few. I went for a reasonably thick one. Just make sure you have another vehicle handy and when you get old one off, take it with you and marry em up. Very difficult to break anything, just make sure you dont round off heads of the alan key bolts on lid. Take your time and it should be fine. If you look through the threads youll see a photo list of what to do, or ask bushwhaker for it, its pics of the job bein done with pump off, but you can see more clearly what needs done, and compare it.

It is quite and easy job. And if you stick to 50/50 with your veg it should help.
                              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Working...
                              X