Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• satnav NOooooooo!

Hi,

A friend of mine thought they would bring their satnav to put in my Surf when we were going to Aberdeen. NEVER AGAIN. I drove through a red light on a roundabout whilst listening to it, narrowly missing two cars and straight across a junction without checking if the road was clear. I am normally a not too bad driver (honest!) and my friend was gobsmacked that I had driven so badly. Anyone else driven like a prat on satnav?

Jacqueline

Originally posted by jax
    Hi,

A friend of mine thought they would bring their satnav to put in my Surf when we were going to Aberdeen. NEVER AGAIN. I drove through a red light on a roundabout whilst listening to it, narrowly missing two cars and straight across a junction without checking if the road was clear. I am normally a not too bad driver (honest!) and my friend was gobsmacked that I had driven so badly. Anyone else driven like a prat on satnav?

Jacqueline

Although satnav provides directions, you are still required to steer and brake!

Comment

SatNAV in a private car is in my opinion a total waste of space. Its fine for delivery drivers/couriers but who else needs it? I reckon you could get from Fife to Aberdeen without one. Its just another consumer gizmo. Another way of getting you to spend money on $$$$ you dont need

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

Normally program the route on mine then turn the radio up and ignore it til i'm within about 5 mile of where i wanna go. I never had any problems other than with celebrity voices that are just sh1te and you get so much carp before they give the direction to identify the celebrity it's supposed to be that it's normally too late.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
          SatNAV in a private car is in my opinion a total waste of space. Its fine for delivery drivers/couriers but who else needs it? I reckon you could get from Fife to Aberdeen without one. Its just another consumer gizmo. Another way of getting you to spend money on $$$$ you dont need

Bogus
          I kind of agree, in my opinion all they do is take cars down country back roads and drown them in fords or fill up narrow single track roads with commercial vehicles!!

You can tell when the M3 is fawked up, you can't get up our road for cars and vans with their drivers staring at a little screen.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            I kind of agree, in my opinion all they do is take cars down country back roads and drown them in fords
            damn it why does tomtom never do that???

You can tell when the M3 is fawked up, you can't get up our road for cars and vans with their drivers staring at a little screen.
            Yeah see your point with that, I'm normally pretty patient and just sit in the traffic, but on occasions....
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Can't see the point of them at all, personally. It takes hardly anytime to just pull over and look at a map.

Comment

i guy i work with got one a few weeks back and when it said to take the third exit on the roundabout he drove the wrong way around it
                I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

I kind of agree, in my opinion all they do is take cars down country back roads and drown them in fords or fill up narrow single track roads with commercial vehicles!!

Got to agree too [Quote] drivers staring at a little screen !!!!
                  WHEN THEY SHOULD BE PAYING ATTENTION TO THEIR DRIVING NOT A Ucking TV SCREEN ....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just won't see or hear em Comin !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

I was a Sat Nav anti, until I got one. I'm now on my second piece of hardware, and four Tom Tom software. Not because of trouble but because I find it so help full when in areas I don't know.
                    Stoping and looking at a map is fine if you know where you are to start with, if your lost, then quite simply your lost and a map is only any good when you find out where you are, and in that case your not lost.

I know some people who can't get on with them at all, I also know people who rely on them completely, horses for courses really.

If you're ever sitting on the North Yorshire Moors, type in your destination and select shortest route.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by jax
                      Hi,

Jacqueline
                      I thought you LADIES could MULTI-TASK its not a tv.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick
                        If you're ever sitting on the North Yorshire Moors, type in your destination and select shortest route.
                        Err, did that once, it ended up trying to take me down a bridle-way. Surf coped admirably.

Bar that, I love my Sat-Nav. If I'm going anywhere I don't know, it always gets me there straight away. However, I do manage to maintain a degree of 'intelligence', and look before I blindly follow directions. It could be something to with being a software engineer. I am well aware that computers are only as good as the instructions the programmers gave them, and I've met some of the programmers.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                          I thought you LADIES could MULTI-TASK its not a tv.
                          He he - the worrying thing is I drove like that when I was just LISTENING to it!! Oh dear............ I think I'll stick to maps and asking passersby.

Jacqueline

Comment

Used a tom tom when doing the three peaks. Worked quite well, although now and then it picked a few interesting routes. It also didn't understand that now and then you want to pull off a road to get fuel, stop for food or toilet. It got rather angry when that happened as it kept re-calculating a route or saying turn around.
                            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

I agree that they are best used for finding addresses. When you're buying something out of the local papers etc it's much easier to just ask the address and postcode than let someone ramble on for five minutes giving you totally useless directions!
                              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Working...
                              X