Rewiring the stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewiring the stereo

I am about to take on the task of rewiring my stereo, 'cos the previous owner has hacked it to bits and stuck in a cheap and nasty stereo. At the minute the only speakers working are the two front speakers (the ones by your knees) and 2 little JBLs he has plonked on the dash.

I can see there is a host of speakers in the back, and can see from threads in the electrical section that there should be an amp somwhere in the back also.

Before I start ripping my car interior out trying to find the original wires (or traces of), can anyone tell me the route that the wires would have originally taken? There is no trace of them at the back of the stereo, and I would rather just ask than start pulling carpets up and panels off.

If worst comes to worst, how easy is it to get in to the rear speakers?

I would rather use the original speakers or at least thier housing as I don't want to be losing boot space.

Originally posted by Andy353
    I am about to take on the task of rewiring my stereo, 'cos the previous owner has hacked it to bits and stuck in a cheap and nasty stereo. At the minute the only speakers working are the two front speakers (the ones by your knees) and 2 little JBLs he has plonked on the dash.

I can see there is a host of speakers in the back, and can see from threads in the electrical section that there should be an amp somwhere in the back also.

Before I start ripping my car interior out trying to find the original wires (or traces of), can anyone tell me the route that the wires would have originally taken? There is no trace of them at the back of the stereo, and I would rather just ask than start pulling carpets up and panels off.

If worst comes to worst, how easy is it to get in to the rear speakers?

I would rather use the original speakers or at least thier housing as I don't want to be losing boot space.

I replaced the Toyota standard stereo in my truck and it was dead easy, I just bought an ISO connection off ebay and it plugged straight in.

Check out this site: http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/ which is brilliant, lots of piccies and clear explanations. If you can't find what you're looking for there then post up the gaps and someone on here will help!
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Working...
    X