Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cylinder heads

Hi everyone.
    im completely new to 4x4's and im going to look at a 2.4 surf(import) tomoz but having done some research the only real problem i seem to keep finding is the weak cylinder head problem is it as bad has im making out or is it a real problem to be wary of, last bit im buying it so ive a good tow car for a caravan will this be a problem are they good tow cars and would this put undue pressure on a already weak head, thanks for your patience.
    Dave
    if a politition is talking its lying

Welcome to the madhouse mate
    one of the techy guys will fill you in on the head
    check this link out for towing stuff http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/showthread.php?t=2931
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

FIREFLY check this link out mate
      http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/Forums/sea...searchid=25184
      (\__/)
      (")_(")

Comment

Thanks Marky
        been reading the posts on the head, and well im ****ed off now looks like its a bigger problem than i thought, will go and look at it anyway and see how it pans out, wil be interesting to see if dealer says anything obout the head when i ask him.
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
          Thanks Marky
          been reading the posts on the head, and well im ****ed off now looks like its a bigger problem than i thought, will go and look at it anyway and see how it pans out, wil be interesting to see if dealer says anything obout the head when i ask him.
          Dave

No denying the heads can be a problem on the 2.4, design fault. So if you can find one that has a new redesigned fitted then you should be OK. If the dealer claims it has see the receipts to prove it, a stitched or repaired head ain't no good. It sound or reads bad as this is what people talk about the most, the bad things that happen or go wrong. We seem to talk about these for ever and the good things get a glancing mention.
          There are plenty of people on here who have had there Surfs for a few years with no problems but these ones don't get mentioned that much.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Just read on another forum that the Landover 90 2.5 Turbo also suffers from this and they put it down to poor servicing and thrashing up and down motorways for long periods. Don't right off the 2.4 they are a good strong motor, just make sure you have warranty that covers the head, if not then walk away !

Andy

Comment

Ive had my 2.4 for nearly a year & i love it. i just service on a regular basis check fluids etc every weekend my head might be a new design but i dont know. i would buy another 2.4 as its great.
              there are also head problems on mibsutishis.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                Ive had my 2.4 for nearly a year & i love it. i just service on a regular basis check fluids etc every weekend my head might be a new design but i dont know. i would buy another 2.4 as its great.
                there are also head problems on mibsutishis.
                As Marky points the Mitsubishi Shogun/Pajero also has similar affliction. Also try an internet search on the Freelander- many owners get through 3-4 engines and are just happy to get rid......

Comment

I know what your saying as to many people still liking their motors, like i say wil go and test the water, also got a chance of a izusu trooper 3.1td will have a good long hard look and let me head rule for once not me heart.
                  Dave

Comment

I know what your saying as to many people still liking their motors, like i say wil go and test the water, also got a chance of a izusu trooper 3.1td will have a good long hard look and let me head rule for once not me heart.
                    Dave
                    dont just look youve got to drive the surf to really appreciate it
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Hi everyone.
                      im completely new to 4x4's and im going to look at a 2.4 surf(import) tomoz but having done some research the only real problem i seem to keep finding is the weak cylinder head problem is it as bad has im making out or is it a real problem to be wary of, last bit im buying it so ive a good tow car for a caravan will this be a problem are they good tow cars and would this put undue pressure on a already weak head, thanks for your patience.
                      Dave
                      If you're worried m8 - go for a 3.0... check out the forum ads etc... alternatively make sure the dealer gives you a warranty that covers the head.
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

After 18 months of trouble free motoring the head has gone on my 2.4.
                        It's currently in at the moment having the neccessary replacement done.
                        As soon as I accuired the car the reccomended flush/thermostat/rad cap replacement was done and I thought I was away scott free.
                        However, it all went pear shaped.I think that it is a barganing issue if you are purchasing a fresh into the UK import (my bill will be around the £1000 for parts and labour) if you can get one with the work already done all the better.I agree with the comments that after the head is replaced you've got a pretty much indestructable motor.
                        It sounds pretty offputting I know,but once youre behind the wheel you'll be hooked forever.

Regards,Ian.

Comment

Dave
                          With the Trooper, it depends what you want to use it for. It's a fine strong utility truck and drives like one. Even with all the toys on them in Bighorn trim, they are still a big strong tough truck that generally drives like one on the road. However if you want something that will go on forever whilst using and abusing it on the farm, offroading it (not so much on really narrow lanes) and treating it abismally, the the Trooper will not let you down, it is built like a Sherman Tank (somewhat like an old BJ Landcruiser and the engine is bullet proof.

The Surf drives better on road and is a bit smaller for wheeling around the smaller lanes, while still being an amazing tool off road. OK so there is a bit of an issue with some of the 2.4 Heads however if you budget for a replacement when you buy and knock the price down accordingly, then you will end up with a truck that drives like a car and goes off road like the strongest of them.

As has been said, you need to drive the Surf to fully appreciate it.

Cheers

Comment

Hi
                            Had a look at the surf today to be honest it was as you all said i would have only got what i paid for, and to be honest it was crap,,, he did also have a 4 runner 30L was better but im thinking of upping my outlay to say 7k, i know that i should be able to get a 30l for this, question is has the 30L got the same rep for heads blowing and which model is it best looking at any thought much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by koi
                              There are plenty of people on here who have had there Surfs for a few years with no problems but these ones don't get mentioned that much.
                              I have had a 2.4 for about 6 months and can report no problems. I tow an 18' caravan too. I have it in writing from Toyota that this motor is not one with a faulty head but that apparently means nothing. Will be towing to France this summer so if I get through that without any problems i'll be sure to let you all know.
                              Ian
                              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Working...
                              X