viscous fan, how 'hard' should it be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viscous fan, how 'hard' should it be

basically as the title says, on magnums surf the fan coupling will give about 3 blades turn on a spin by hand. and seems to give a good airflow. but not having mine outside to play with, how hard are yours. need to get to the bottom of his over heating, need to see a video of him attacking stanage edge at the weekend
    TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Originally posted by andrewlee31
    basically as the title says, on magnums surf the fan coupling will give about 3 blades turn on a spin by hand. and seems to give a good airflow. but not having mine outside to play with, how hard are yours. need to get to the bottom of his over heating, need to see a video of him attacking stanage edge at the weekend
    Stiff when stone cold as Phil's is, and free-wheelin' with a hot engine.

Comment

thought it was ok, cheers for that though vince.
      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Stiff when stone cold as Phil's is, and free-wheelin' with a hot engine.
        Shouldn't that be the opposite way around Vince?

Comment

wonder if kenlowe do a fan to fit the surf rad? viscous fans rob the power anyway.
          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

wonder if kenlowe do a fan to fit the surf rad? viscous fans rob the power anyway.
            Don't. The Kenlowe fans can't cope with the Surf except under standard driving conditions. Throw any towing or lots of hills into the mix and it'll not be a happy chappy. Plus, what you gain from losing the deadweight on the waterpump, you get robbed from the alternator by the electric fan. The freeing horsepower thing is bunkum.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
              Shouldn't that be the opposite way around Vince?

You would have thought so, but reading this thread....http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...t=viscous+fans
              apparently not.

p.s. I don't want to correct Nifty Nev, as he's never wrong!

p.p.s. My fan spins all the time you know, even when submerged in a river!

Comment

noticed when i've been playing with landys (i know, dont pick on me im simple) that the kenlowes that are wired in properly to a stat are off a damm sight more than they are on, and actually doing the job properly. probably 80 percent of them are just wired into the ignitions though, and then an utter waste of time.
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

have i missed something, you been out in the mud vince??? knew we'd convert you, throw away that bucket and sponge, the paint can and the autoglym stuff and come and play
                  TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

have i missed something, you been out in the mud vince??? knew we'd convert you, throw away that bucket and sponge, the paint can and the autoglym stuff and come and play

See the RTTH photos!

Comment

Best thread on viscous fans is here. (Old Blue's on there, btw). Terry did a lot of experimenting with a spare fan, and did an indepth writeup on its operation.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ht=viscous+fan

Comment

well then, whens the next one???? would love to see you up the chase, especially with all the mud about in this glorious 'summer' we are having
                        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

noticed when i've been playing with landys (i know, dont pick on me im simple) that the kenlowes that are wired in properly to a stat are off a damm sight more than they are on, and actually doing the job properly. probably 80 percent of them are just wired into the ignitions though, and then an utter waste of time.
                          Wired into a thermostatic switch as they should be, they will be off except under stop/start driving and when you're pushing it a bit. Main problem seems to be with the Kenlowe's themselves. If you check the archives, I can't honestly recall one person who has fitted a Kenlowe on a Surf and still has it on. Making a fan setup from donor vehicles, yes, that should work, but the Kenlowe I would avoid like the plague, personally.

I've got an electric setup on mine, and it's made sod all difference to fuel economy or anything else that I've been able to tell.

Comment

just trying to think of a better way to keep his rad cooled, can't give him any more power, he's flat out phil already!! im pretty sure his gas test will come back negative, then its back to square one..

personally i hate bars leaks with a passion, but im sure he must have a pinhole leak somewhere if its not the head.
                            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

just trying to think of a better way to keep his rad cooled, can't give him any more power, he's flat out phil already!! im pretty sure his gas test will come back negative, then its back to square one..

personally i hate bars leaks with a passion, but im sure he must have a pinhole leak somewhere if its not the head.
                              If anyone from your end is out this way at all anytime soon, I have a dual fan Jag shroud and fans that you can have if you want to experiment with an electric setup. It will need some modifiying to fit, but if you want to give it a shot and see?

With regards to a possible leak, that really could be any of the hoses. Rad cap and rad are obviously out of the equation, so that only really leaves hoses or matrixes.

Comment

Working...
                              X