Winch Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Device

Are these any good to anyone? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000lb-12v-BOA...QQcmdZViewItem

Ideal trailer or ATV winch or disability attachment
    whats a disability attachment then?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
      nope - 2000lb = 900kg, spose it might pull a caravan off a field, might even pull a little one out of mud if it's used with a snatchblock. Boats, dunno, what they weigh so not gonna make too much comment, but consider that you're normally gonna be pulling on a slipway of sorts (ie ramp) so you're introducing an angle, plus breaking the surface tension of the water plus it's the wet weight of the boat not the dry weight i don't reckon it'd be upto much.

Also consider 2000lbs is the rating for the first layer on the spool, the 2nd layer will be about 1400lbs the 3rd about 1000lbs and the 4th around 800lbs, so to actually achieve a 2000lbs pull you've got to pay out the majority of the cable. So the winch has got to be say 8.5 metres from what you're pulling to get the full use out of it. How often is that gonna be the case.

Better off with something like this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TIRFOR-30-CWT_...QQcmdZViewItem much more portable much more versatile, only ever need to exert 27kg of force on the handle to move whatever the rating is, and it will always work to that rating. Or a bigger electric winch or hand winch
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

You seem to know your stuff. If I wanted one I wouldn't get one after reading your prognosis.

Comment

Honestly i don't reckon it's worth buying an underpowered winch, the tirfor style handwinches as in the link are great, just read the instructions and make sure you know how to use it, it's not difficult, but where i used to work we hired them out and they'd invariably come back f**ked and in need of a strip down and repair through misuse. Doesn't matter what size one you buy you only ever need 27kg of force on the handle to pull it's maximum rating, and as long as you use it right and keep it oiled it'll last forever, you honestly can't over oil them, they're quite happy to be stored submerged in oil. The bigger ones can be used for offroad recovery aswell, and they're so versatile. Ok they're not the lightest bit of kit but....

....jeeezz i sound like a salesman, i just seen too many cheap electric winches and hoist that just ain't up to the job. If you can't afford to pay out for a decent hoist, buy a chainblock for lifting. If you can't afford a decent winch buy a Tirfor for pulling.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Working...
          X