Heeeellpp!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heeeellpp!!!!!

I'm really sorry to do this to you guys, as I know this is probably the most common question on here, but........

4wd, how do I do it?

I got myself a '92 Hilux surf Auto, and haven't got a clue what I am doing.

I have a normal shifter with overdrive button, and a smaller shifter with a big 4wd button on the side. I also have a little red button.

The reason I am re-asking this question is because all of the threads I have read are mentioning 2H, 4H and 4L settings on this stick, whereas mine is only H, 4L and Neutral.

Does the big 4wd button put it into 4wd, or is this just a diff lock (someone said thats what it could be).

To make things more complicated the 4wd light on the dash is not working, however I can hear the relay picking and dropping when pressing the 4wd button. I don't know which is on and which is off (should the button be in or out to turn on the light?) as the drive feels the same.

I have been out on a gravel car park to see if wheels drag when turning, and to be honest I didn't really see anything. The only time you notice any difference is the 4L setting, and even the it doesn't matter wether 4wd button is in or out

The guy I got it off is being less than helpful (we've had the screaming abdabs at each other on the phone), and I am feeling like i've landed a lemon.

Please can someone put me out of my misery???

Apart from that, cool car!!

Big 4WD button in = 4WD engaged

4-Hi is normal position
    4-Lo is low ratio

Do NOT engage 4WD on regular roads, there is no centre diff, so you'll wind the car up and break it.....

Red button allows you to move the gearshift without the brake on
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Cheers bud thats pretty much what I thought.

But would the car not still drag a wheel on gravel if it were in 4wd and Hi though? There seems to be no obvious difference between the Hi's wether the 4wd button is in or out. Like I say, the 4wd light doesn't work which doesn't help, but even if the light were working, I personally don't think I would beleive it when it said I had changed anyway lol

I suppose it serves me right for not learning a bit more about it first.

Comment

The way the surfs are set up, compared to other/older less refined 4x4's it's difficult to tell when 4x4 is engaged unless you're in the mud, then it becomes obvious.

Mine doesn't really feel any different when in 4H.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy353
          Cheers bud thats pretty much what I thought.

But would the car not still drag a wheel on gravel if it were in 4wd and Hi though? There seems to be no obvious difference between the Hi's wether the 4wd button is in or out. Like I say, the 4wd light doesn't work which doesn't help, but even if the light were working, I personally don't think I would beleive it when it said I had changed anyway lol

I suppose it serves me right for not learning a bit more about it first.
          You'll find it might not go into 4wd if you're on the gas. Take your foor off the gas, press the button and after a second or so, the light will come on (if the bulb is OK)

Like others have said, DONT do it on tarmac. Try and find yourself some mud (building site or suchlike) and try it there - or better still, keep your eye on the offroading threads and tag along on one.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

a good way to tell is if you try to go up a muddy hill with it in drive with the button out. you will see the back end start waving about like fishtailing. stop and press the 4wd button in then pull away again and you will see you will just go up the hill. put it in 4L and you will have tons more power from just above tickover

when its in 4L if everything is working as it should, then no matter where the 4wd is pressed or not it will stay in 4wd L (low ratio - high torque)
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

find a slight bump with wet grass on it, doesn't need to be more than say 6 or 7" high. Local woods car park maybe. With all the rain you shouldn't have any problems finding something. reverse the rear wheels up to it in 2WD stop with the wheels resting against it then try to reverse up, wheels will just spin and slip and slide but not climb up it. Position the truck in the same place again against the bump, then engage 4WD and try again should go straight up. Try it forwards aswell, there should be a very noticable difference in this situation, where one set of wheels will have traction, and the other set will have very little. Wet grass is surprisingly slippery.

edit: forgot to mention the other set of wheels need to have something they can find a bit of grip on, compacted hardcore/hard mud should be fine, anything that will provide more grip than the grass
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

ahhh-hem....

www.bofa4x4.com

come and play in the mud some day, your not far from us mate
                TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Well chaps, I have tried what you said, and no matter what setting it is in, just the rear wheels are spinning. what now?

Could it be something simple like a celanoid or something?

Comment

First port of call is to check that all the vac pipes are on and snug.

Comment

Like a concorde, straight over my head.

Only other 4x4 I've had is a Lada Niva about 10 years ago lol

I really wouldn't know where to start.

Comment

Like a concorde, straight over my head.

Only other 4x4 I've had is a Lada Niva about 10 years ago lol

I really wouldn't know where to start.
                        Have a look in the tech section servicing sticky. Think there's a diagram or two up there.

Comment

Star man!! Looks a very complicated diagram, but 1000000 times beter than what I had a minute ago!!!

Gonna go and have a mooch!!

I can see me and this Forum becoming lifelong friends!!

Comment

Star man!! Looks a very complicated diagram, but 1000000 times beter than what I had a minute ago!!!

Gonna go and have a mooch!!

I can see me and this Forum becoming lifelong friends!!

Just a thought, have you got free wheeling hubs fitted on the front wheels? Can you post any photos?

Also, have a read of this..........http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/add.htm

Comment

Dudes, I can't say a big enough thank you for all of your help. It was indeed a vacuum hose.

That car is awesome and I will definately be attending one of your events, just to see what they can do in the proper hands (I think I will start by spectating)

Mr Bushwhacker sir, your link really did the trick mate, cheers

Thanks again all!!
                              Last edited by Andy353; 5 July 2007, 20:24.

Comment

Working...
                              X