Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I broke it...

...but it seems to have fixed itself.

Left woodlands today all running sweet on the first tank of veg (DERV 60:40VEG mix), good days offroading, but a bit wet. And the surf had run sweet as a nut all day but i was getting hungry, smelt like the kebab van was following me round everywhere. Bit of smoke under power, but other than that absolutely fine.

About 10 mile down the road, i stopped at a set of traffic lights. When they changed green i went to pull away but it had no poke, wouldn't rev over 2000RPM, limped through the traffic lights and pulled up at the side of the road.

Fiddled for a bit, and after a few minutes tinkering managed to get it to rev freely in N for a few seconds, but then went back to only going up to 2000RPM. First thought was fuel filter clogged, picked up a spare last week as i knew i was gonna have to change it after a few tanks of veg, and it was still in the truck. So changed the fuel filter at the side of the road in pouring rain with no tools (or at least nothing that would change a filter), luckily it wasn't on too tight and i just about managed to do it by hand. Spilling the old filter full of veg oil everywhere in the process.

Started up again but still wouldn't rev freely, tinkered a bit more and it stalled, primed the filter again, fired up, and eventually managed to get it revving with a bit of hesitancy, but enough to pull away again. Another couple of miles down the road, same thing again, limped into a car park and revving it from the throttle linkage i could get it to rev up after a few seconds at full throttle, worked out the turbo wasn't spooling up most of the time, and this is why it wouldn't rev properly. Figgered damp solenoids or actuator or something so got it revving up and sat there revving for 5-10 minutes to try and build some heat up and dry it all out, didn't work. Left idle for another half hour, still no go. So gave up and phoned the RAC, then wandered round the shops waiting for them to phone me when they were close.

An hour later i went back to the surf started her up and she ran and revved fine, took it for a blast round the industrial estate and it was spot on. Went back to the car park where i told the RAC i was at and waited for them to ring anyway. About 15 minutes later they phoned and said we're here we can't find you, after a bit of discussion it turned out he was on a retail park in AylesBURY with the same name as the retail park i was on in AylesFORD. Anyway spoke to him for a few minutes told him what had happened and said i was happy to try driving it home (25miles ish) and ring if i had any more problems. Stopped and put another £10 of DERV in the tank incase that had anything to do with it, and while I was filling up another RAC patrol was recovering someone that had put 25l of unleaded in a diesel VW, so spoke to him quick and he suggested the EGR valve was sticking, i didn't say anything but I've done the cable tie EGR mod, so can't see how this would be it. Anyway drove home, and she didn't miss a beat all the way home.

Any suggestions as to what could've caused this, it was just as if the turbo wasn't spooling up at all so had absolutely no power. But seems to have cured itself now. didn't have any engine management lights come up or anything like that, turbo light worked as you would expect, ie) lit when the turbo spooled up, and didn't when it wasn't. The only thing i did notice was the turbo light was a bit flickery when it first seemed to have sorted itself out and acceleration was just a touch hesitant, the first couple of times i pulled away when it started working again.

Could it be damp in a solenoid or actuator or something? Could it be the EGR managed to work it's way open despite being disconnected? Or any other suggestions? Could it be veg related?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

no vac pipes been pinched or anything?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

couldn't see any but it's a possibility, will have to give it a good look over tomorrow. Cheers Tim

Anymore suggestions?
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
        couldn't see any but it's a possibility, will have to give it a good look over tomorrow. Cheers Tim

Anymore suggestions?

Check that the small vacuum pipe in this link is connected, if it's not you'll have no turbo boost and the truck will hardly pull it's own weight.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm

Comment

Anymore suggestions?
          There is a small mesh in the tank outlet, this blocks VERY easily. Drop tank, hack mesh out, air line down filler (once tank re-fitted) needs to be stuffed with plastic bag or something to pressurise the tank and blow any air lock out via the filter bleed screw.

I make biodiesel and this is a common problem as the veg (or bio) wakes all the crud up and it blinds this silly little mesh
          Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Check that the small vacuum pipe in this link is connected, if it's not you'll have no turbo boost and the truck will hardly pull it's own weight.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/turbovacuum.htm
            I'll try that one, some of my hoses are starting to look less than perfect, and it was quite a heavy mornings offroading it was so wet the tracks changed everytime you went round and i thought i was gonna be waiting for a winch out right near the end, gave it one final shot and it bounced and spun and grabbed it's way out the hole i was in. so it's more than possible that something like this could have worked loose.

This hole, but wetter - it was interesting

=========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nishikigoi
              There is a small mesh in the tank outlet, this blocks VERY easily. Drop tank, hack mesh out, air line down filler (once tank re-fitted) needs to be stuffed with plastic bag or something to pressurise the tank and blow any air lock out via the filter bleed screw.

I make biodiesel and this is a common problem as the veg (or bio) wakes all the crud up and it blinds this silly little mesh
              Cheers andrew, i don't think it's gonna be this, i tend to run my tank low regularly so shouldn't have too much crud built up + from what you say, i wouldn't have expected this to clear and drive 25 miles home without problem. I think it has to do with the turbo, as soon as the turbo started spooling up again it revved nicely.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

yeah sounds turbo related - do you run a boost gauge? my vac pipe came off the back once and I had to put my thumb over the end to be able to drive home!
                check what bushwhacker said...
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Cheers andrew, i don't think it's gonna be this, i tend to run my tank low regularly so shouldn't have too much crud built up + from what you say, i wouldn't have expected this to clear and drive 25 miles home without problem. I think it has to do with the turbo, as soon as the turbo started spooling up again it revved nicely.
                  The turbo sill not spool properly unless you have the fuel to burn and create gasses to turn it (catch 22). Now unless it is a fluke and the turbo pipe came off, I'd still be looking at tank.

I know of 4 surfs on Bio or Veg and this little mesh has been a P.I.T.A and took weeks to originaly figure out (one guy almost got a new injection pump). Like many problems the solution sounds simple but the journey to find it was not

You could try taking the filler cap off, remove the fuel filter inlet and air line the pipe, this will move a bit of $$$$ for a while and let you know what is wrong without taking the tank out (heavy not hard though).
                  Andrew

1994 4-runner 3.0TD

Comment

Just a thought as something similar happened to me, could be your high pressure switch. do a search and try bypassing it if it happens again. pretty simple just changing some of the vac pipes around. hope you get it sorted
                    it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

i know what was wrong

...but it seems to have fixed itself.

Left woodlands today all running sweet on the first tank of veg (DERV 60:40VEG mix), good days offroading, but a bit wet. And the surf had run sweet as a nut all day but i was getting hungry, smelt like the kebab van was following me round everywhere. Bit of smoke under power, but other than that absolutely fine.

About 10 mile down the road, i stopped at a set of traffic lights. When they changed green i went to pull away but it had no poke, wouldn't rev over 2000RPM, limped through the traffic lights and pulled up at the side of the road.

Fiddled for a bit, and after a few minutes tinkering managed to get it to rev freely in N for a few seconds, but then went back to only going up to 2000RPM. First thought was fuel filter clogged, picked up a spare last week as i knew i was gonna have to change it after a few tanks of veg, and it was still in the truck. So changed the fuel filter at the side of the road in pouring rain with no tools (or at least nothing that would change a filter), luckily it wasn't on too tight and i just about managed to do it by hand. Spilling the old filter full of veg oil everywhere in the process.

Started up again but still wouldn't rev freely, tinkered a bit more and it stalled, primed the filter again, fired up, and eventually managed to get it revving with a bit of hesitancy, but enough to pull away again. Another couple of miles down the road, same thing again, limped into a car park and revving it from the throttle linkage i could get it to rev up after a few seconds at full throttle, worked out the turbo wasn't spooling up most of the time, and this is why it wouldn't rev properly. Figgered damp solenoids or actuator or something so got it revving up and sat there revving for 5-10 minutes to try and build some heat up and dry it all out, didn't work. Left idle for another half hour, still no go. So gave up and phoned the RAC, then wandered round the shops waiting for them to phone me when they were close.

An hour later i went back to the surf started her up and she ran and revved fine, took it for a blast round the industrial estate and it was spot on. Went back to the car park where i told the RAC i was at and waited for them to ring anyway. About 15 minutes later they phoned and said we're here we can't find you, after a bit of discussion it turned out he was on a retail park in AylesBURY with the same name as the retail park i was on in AylesFORD. Anyway spoke to him for a few minutes told him what had happened and said i was happy to try driving it home (25miles ish) and ring if i had any more problems. Stopped and put another £10 of DERV in the tank incase that had anything to do with it, and while I was filling up another RAC patrol was recovering someone that had put 25l of unleaded in a diesel VW, so spoke to him quick and he suggested the EGR valve was sticking, i didn't say anything but I've done the cable tie EGR mod, so can't see how this would be it. Anyway drove home, and she didn't miss a beat all the way home.

Any suggestions as to what could've caused this, it was just as if the turbo wasn't spooling up at all so had absolutely no power. But seems to have cured itself now. didn't have any engine management lights come up or anything like that, turbo light worked as you would expect, ie) lit when the turbo spooled up, and didn't when it wasn't. The only thing i did notice was the turbo light was a bit flickery when it first seemed to have sorted itself out and acceleration was just a touch hesitant, the first couple of times i pulled away when it started working again.

Could it be damp in a solenoid or actuator or something? Could it be the EGR managed to work it's way open despite being disconnected? Or any other suggestions? Could it be veg related?

i know what was wrong matey!! the surf was having to much fun and didnt want to go home
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

you didnt break it, it just wanted to stay

Originally posted by gwh200
                        i know what was wrong matey!! the surf was having to much fun and didnt want to go home
                        ps bythe way it was good to meet you to mate, good day was had and all that, but remember burgundy ones dont get so dirty (or was that me being a big girl)
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
                          ps bythe way it was good to meet you to mate, good day was had and all that, but remember burgundy ones dont get so dirty (or was that me being a big girl)
                          ah, so that's vinces problem too then, the burgundy ones just don't like mud, they're the girly ones! Explains a lot

(i'll get me coat)
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Seems fine today, had a look and jiggled a few vac pipes around, didn't find anything out of the ordinary though. I guess it was either damp related or it'll do it again next time i go for a longer drive, i only been a little way today just to get the engine upto temperature and drive round for a bit to see if it did it again.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Working...
                            X