Will the surf cope with this trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the surf cope with this trailer?

Its on EBay and 1040kg unladened which strikes me as being fine. I don't need to fill it to its 1 3/4 tonne capacity but I have relatively light but bulky items to shift.

I guess the hitch on the surf maybe too low (I'd need Apache's Towsure recommeded hitch and trailer board).

Any thoughts?

Dave

There are some trailers on the army surplus auction that been mentioned on here somewhere.. many like this one, but some, I think with civy hitches.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      There are some trailers on the army surplus auction that been mentioned on here somewhere.. many like this one, but some, I think with civy hitches.
      I'd better start using the search facility then!

Dave

Comment

That your trailer for moving house Dave???

Are you lookin for one of the tow bars with the ball and a pin???????? I've got 2 lying about somewhere. So theres one here if you want it. F.O.C

Txt me if you want it since i'll be off line later.
        Last edited by smiffy; 29 June 2007, 21:29.
        www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Heres a good one!
          My old 2.4 pulled this Abbey spectrum with no trouble 1700kgs
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Be aware a ball and pin hitch will not fit the nato hitch, it is massive, the smaler 3/4 ton sankey normally has a smaller ring which will fit it.
            I had to supply one of my units with a nato - then fabricate an adaptor nato-std ball to deliver the unit, I still have it so if I can get it to you you could borrow it (I am en-route to RTTS!) PM me if you wish
            Did I mention I have a BLUE one
            Tony

Comment

Good call Tony as we were'nt sure
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Cheers folks, you've come up trumps again!

Saved me borrowing (cheers Fraser) a hitch to find it wouldn't fit and needs a Fatfire's (Thanks for offer) special!

Back to drawing board!

(No fear of me moving myself but I do need to be able to shift some sizeable stuff around the the new place if I'm going to get a smallholding going........)

Dave

Comment

A sankey is a good tough trailer-squadies don't break them easilly, but if you are thinking of having a traditional ball hitch you can add at least £110 for a new braked hitch on an A plate. failing that why not take up the offer of the pin/ball hitch offered to you and get a sankey with a small ring hitch and 12 volt electrics, it should certainly move anything you should want, you may need to rewire the plug to suit non military electrics but you can get them for pennies. the other trailer you looked at is a bit over kill for what you are likely to need and changing that hitch would not be cheap (mind you the nato is a sellable item, look on ebay!)
                  to collect the sankey I would advise confirm the size of the ring hitch before buying and get hold of a light board with long lead (they are reasonable) you can allways use it later if carrying overhanging loads!
                  Remember if the armed forces say a sankey is 1/2 or 3/4 ton you can almost certainly go 100% on that as they are over spec'ed, tyre rating can make a huge difference on loads as well - normally if you were to go to 8 ply, that should give you up to 2 ton gross, if you want to chat it over PM me your land line & I can give you a buzz over the weekend (I use web phone so it is free!!!)
                  Hope this has been of help
                  Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                  Tony

Comment

Thats one massive trailer.... 1040kg unladen... CRIPES!

Do you really need such an over engineered trailer to carry some "bulky" but yet relatively light items around???
                    1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
                    1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

I think you (last two posters) are right. Will go for the smaller trailer and confirm hitch size.

Thanks for offer of call but I'm off away!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X