Webspace - suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webspace - suggestions

Any recommendations on where to buy a domain name and some webspace?
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Originally posted by Linda

low cost names
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

dont know anything about it but here's one http://www.123-reg.co.uk/
      [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
      [size=5][/size]
      [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Linda,

I use these guys for my hosting - they are good - you get a great service, loads of stuff and by comparison very cheap:

www.valuehost.com

You get loads of storage space, can have up to 10 domain names, more email address than you can use - I've given all my family one just to make my life easier (name@domamain.co.uk) and databases too.

Its very hard to tell how good someone is from their blurb but these guys have hosted the following sites (nothing fancy) for over a year with NO down time - which is the best bench mark. Just bought another year!!

intensityproductions
        ideasbase
        Dolphin Yoga

If you run into problems let me know - I'll get it back in Surf talk
        Hoops

The difference between stupidity and genius.... is that genius has its limits!!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
          dont know anything about it but here's one http://www.123-reg.co.uk/

I use these guys too , hosted about 10 domain names with them.
          Not sure of the webspace though , seems very cheap , but can't find the catch as yet.

Webspace all depends on what you want from it , if its just to host your own site , you can point your domain name at your free webspace you get from your ISP . if its something a bit bigger , and cheap hosting will do, and cheap hoster package that gives you the amount of space and bandwidth will do.

However if you need it for a buisness , you need to look at what bandwidth your gonna need , what database options you have , if you can have SSL to accept Credit cards , if you need Frontpage extensions ( although no high class website should be done in FP )

For high class service , look at www.hostway.com
          for a cheapy , have a look at 123-reg

In any cast i would buuy your domain with 123 ,a s its easy to manage from there, it doesn't matter where your webspace is.

Hope my inane babble helps !
          http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
            if its just to host your own site , you can point your domain name at your free webspace you get from your ISP .
            That's what we currently do but it's not enough space and they charge too much for additional space. We'd also like the freedom to change ISP without affecting the website.

Thanks for all the tips guys... given me lots to look into. Any more helpful advice then please post away!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

That's what we currently do but it's not enough space and they charge too much for additional space. We'd also like the freedom to change ISP without affecting the website.

Thanks for all the tips guys... given me lots to look into. Any more helpful advice then please post away!

This Forum and the Website are on www.oneandone.co.uk. They seem OK.

Cheers

Comment

Whats the difference between MS and Linux hosting - why would I choose one rather than the other?
                Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

MS - the servers runs on microsoft software. £££

Linux / UNIX - runs on linux software which is open source - (free)

Without trying to start off a heated debate - Linux is simpler and thus more reliable and stable and the choice for most hosting companies. You also don't have to give Bill any of your hard earned cash!!

There are also hundreds/thousands of web applications you can run instantly & seamlessly on linux that are also free - MySQL - forums etc..

In this case I would say cheaper does mean better!!

Not that this means anything but a lot of Gov't departments and large international companies are moving away from MS to UNIX / Linux based systems for the very same reasons.
                  Hoops

The difference between stupidity and genius.... is that genius has its limits!!

Comment

Originally posted by hoops
                    MS - the servers runs on microsoft software. £££

Linux / UNIX - runs on linux software which is open source - (free)

Without trying to start off a heated debate - Linux is simpler and thus more reliable and stable and the choice for most hosting companies. You also don't have to give Bill any of your hard earned cash!!

There are also hundreds/thousands of web applications you can run instantly & seamlessly on linux that are also free - MySQL - forums etc..

In this case I would say cheaper does mean better!!

Not that this means anything but a lot of Gov't departments and large international companies are moving away from MS to UNIX / Linux based systems for the very same reasons.
                    I agree. The Forum is on Linux Hosting for one main thing, Linux hosting out of the box supports PHP and MySQL which was required to run the forum software. PHP and MySQL will run on Windows however most ISPs run MS SQL server and ASP as the scripting language which is harder to learn and there are less freeware apps out there that run using ASP.

Also I happen to think that Linux and infact any UNIX based operating system is inherantly more reliable and especially secure. Much less likely to get hit by viruses, DOS attacks etc especially if the firewalls are set up well.

I run Linux (Fedora Core) on a partition of my PC at home for testing web apps and quite frankly it knocks Windows XP into a cocked hat. If it wasn't for wanting to run MS Office then I'd transition the whole machine over to Linux and throw the XP disc out of the Window (although XP is pretty good for an MS product, at least it doesn't crash 10 time a day like Windows 98 used to).

Cheers

Comment

it's not enough space and they charge too much for additional space. We'd also like the freedom to change ISP without affecting the website.
                      How much webspace?
                      What extras do you need?
                      How much are you expecting to pay?
                      Ian
                      One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

How much webspace?
                        What extras do you need?
                        How much are you expecting to pay?

Well seems like 500mb for £5 a month is available from some of the recommended sites below. BT want £20 a month to increase me from 20-50! (I know that there will be cheaper ISP providers, but my ADSL is provided by work so I cant change from a BT business tariff..)

Dont need anything beyond basic hosting, a couple of FTP accesses and 2 or 3 emails addy's.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

500MB ??? Wow it must be a HUGE site!! Or are you referring to bandwidth?? If so then £5 per month is very expensive.
                          Ian
                          One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Originally posted by icsys
                            500MB ??? Wow it must be a HUGE site!! Or are you referring to bandwidth?? If so then £5 per month is very expensive.
                            I've filled up all my freeserve freebee space, with two different accounts, plus can't get to it now to update it as no longer a freeserve customer. Lindas BT space is full, so if you want me to keep scanning and posting pics of how to fix your Surfs, we need more space.

Just attaching them is a waste of the forum webspace, and I prefer them big in the threads, so need somewhere to host them.

plus have some good 10meg video clips to host.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                              I've filled up all my freeserve freebee space, with two different accounts, plus can't get to it now to update it as no longer a freeserve customer. Lindas BT space is full, so if you want me to keep scanning and posting pics of how to fix your Surfs, we need more space.

Just attaching them is a waste of the forum webspace, and I prefer them big in the threads, so need somewhere to host them.

plus have some good 10meg video clips to host.
                              now, that's waht we've ben waiting for!!... i'm gonna have a lads night in to watch them!!.... oh.... um.... you're not on about those sort of vids?!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X