Bio fuel supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio fuel supplier

At the weekend I got chatting to a bloke who sells bio-diesel from his farm in the same village as me. As it's about 2 mins down the road from me, he's offered that I can go and fill up at site rather then have to store quantity at my house which is a winner We have two diesels, the Surf and a Focus but haven't gone veggie/bio so far just cos I didn't want to store it at our house and I'm a lazy git and couldn't be bothered with additional paperwork to declare etc. But now I can turn up and pump direct with the duty paid, I think I'll do it.

I've used the search and most on here seem to run veggie rather then bio-fuel, doing the mixing yourselves. I've read a couple of posts about bio-use and one suggested lower mpg and a need to replace the fuel filter after a couple of tanks worth.

If anyone has run/is running (produced) bio and has any comments, please feel free to share. Cheers.
    Real trucks don't have spark plugs

bio fuel.

firm in preston started producing and selling bio fuel,been using it ,great ,the blue beast runs spot on with it,86p per ltr.

Comment

remote locking again,

hello all,remote locking stopped,new battery in key,still not working,will it need re-programing?any body know how to re-program,mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
        At the weekend I got chatting to a bloke who sells bio-diesel from his farm in the same village as me. As it's about 2 mins down the road from me, he's offered that I can go and fill up at site rather then have to store quantity at my house which is a winner We have two diesels, the Surf and a Focus but haven't gone veggie/bio so far just cos I didn't want to store it at our house and I'm a lazy git and couldn't be bothered with additional paperwork to declare etc. But now I can turn up and pump direct with the duty paid, I think I'll do it.

I've used the search and most on here seem to run veggie rather then bio-fuel, doing the mixing yourselves. I've read a couple of posts about bio-use and one suggested lower mpg and a need to replace the fuel filter after a couple of tanks worth.

If anyone has run/is running (produced) bio and has any comments, please feel free to share. Cheers.
        i think it will depend on how much you want to save.Now that we dont have to pay duty on svo it works out a lot cheaper to run and i can save about £45 a month on using svo.You will only need to have a fuel filter at hand incase the old one gets blocked with crud from the tank.I was using svo for a couple of months b4 changing the filter and now i change it at each service or twice a year.I put a tenners worth of fuel and fill up with svo each month and i havent had any problems with the running of the surf yet.I pay £8.40 for 15l of veg from tesco extra down here but some get 20l from mackro or bookers for about £10
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've recorded no appreciable difference in MPG between biodiesel, Vegoil, and diesel, nor in performance.

What did make a difference was using a fuel heater - this gave a 2-3 mpg saving regardless of fuel (only did stats on this with Diesel and SVO NOT bio.)

I do find I change the fuel filter slightly more often, but that may well be due to the fact that I do a slightly poorer job than Shell/BP in removing all the water from my fuel before I use it.

I also uprated my injectors for running SVO/BIO as some people have reported problems with clogged injectors.

ETA - I wouldn't be interested in BIO from a commercial producer personally as my used veg oil is free, my meth is free etc. so my only real cost is my time after 30th June as I won't have to declare or pay any tax. A commercial producer will probably produce over the 2500 litre limit and have to declare and pay tax which will increase the cost of the fuel.
          Last edited by Linda; 25 June 2007, 16:52.
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
            <snip>A commercial producer will probably produce over the 2500 litre limit and have to declare and pay tax which will increase the cost of the fuel.
            Which is why I (in my suspicious way) reckon the govt had knocked tax off <2500 litres. A lot more people will DIY and use SVO / diesel mix rather than pay 80p+ from small commercial producers, thus putting them out of business and leaving the field open for the likes of EXXON, Shell, BP etc to produce it and charge whatever price they like, and the govt will put tax on it again.

Make hay while the sun shines people. It wont last forever!
            Last edited by Apache; 25 June 2007, 17:33.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
              I've recorded no appreciable difference in MPG between biodiesel, Vegoil, and diesel, nor in performance.

What did make a difference was using a fuel heater - this gave a 2-3 mpg saving regardless of fuel (only did stats on this with Diesel and SVO NOT bio.)

I do find I change the fuel filter slightly more often, but that may well be due to the fact that I do a slightly poorer job than Shell/BP in removing all the water from my fuel before I use it.

I also uprated my injectors for running SVO/BIO as some people have reported problems with clogged injectors.

ETA - I wouldn't be interested in BIO from a commercial producer personally as my used veg oil is free, my meth is free etc. so my only real cost is my time after 30th June as I won't have to declare or pay any tax. A commercial producer will probably produce over the 2500 litre limit and have to declare and pay tax which will increase the cost of the fuel.
              I like the idea of using veg oil but I don't have the time to go through the process of making it at the moment. Maybe I need to look into it a bit more seriously as it would be much, much cheaper. I already have the bigger injectors as part of the rebuild so this shouldn't be a problem.

It's just handy for the time being as this guy is up the road and at least 12p a litre cheaper then the major brands (to which I am or have been a consultant ) of dino derv. So I'll give it a go and see how we get on with this arrangement. I want a fuel cat fitted too....

Comment

I like the idea of using veg oil but I don't have the time to go through the process of making it at the moment. Maybe I need to look into it a bit more seriously as it would be much, much cheaper. I already have the bigger injectors as part of the rebuild so this shouldn't be a problem.

It's just handy for the time being as this guy is up the road and at least 12p a litre cheaper then the major brands (to which I am or have been a consultant ) of dino derv. So I'll give it a go and see how we get on with this arrangement. I want a fuel cat fitted too....
                Pour in veg, pour in diesel. Thats all most folks seem to do.

I am gonna fit a fuel heater though as it sounds like Linda has had good results.

I was thinking of using something like a 'water to oil' oil cooler as per MR2. Just connect the coolant as you would normally but pass the fuel through it rather than oil. eBay here I come!
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Wow, just chatted with UDTrev and he has explained all this to me. Thanks Trev! I'll wait until the end of the month and then start running the Surf on veggie oil as there's so many proven cases and as Apache says, it's a case of pour in, pour in and now I won't have to register.

I think as the Focus may be a little more delicate then the Surf we'll run that on the bio fuel and see how we get on with that. Cool. Thanks all!

Comment

Hell, I've missed this bit, obviously. Have they finally decided to do away with the duty on SVO then?

Comment

Absolutely - still better.

I like the fact that I'm recycling used oil, but I realise not everyone has the time, room or inclination to process it themselves.

I actually have a heated fuel cat - best of both worlds....
                      Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Hell, I've missed this bit, obviously. Have they finally decided to do away with the duty on SVO then?
                        Apparently, yes, if you use less than 2500 litres per annum.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Pour in veg, pour in diesel. Thats all most folks seem to do.

I am gonna fit a fuel heater though as it sounds like Linda has had good results.

I was thinking of using something like a 'water to oil' oil cooler as per MR2. Just connect the coolant as you would normally but pass the fuel through it rather than oil. eBay here I come!
                          i'm happy with my fuel heater, i have a vow2 b+ . i'll also be fitting a heat exchanger running of the coolant so it can take over after the engine warms up. i use 100% svo at the moment and all seems fine. i'll mix in some derv when the weather chills though.

uprated injectors?, where do i get those, allthough i've had no issues so far

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                            Apparently, yes, if you use less than 2500 litres per annum.
                            Nice. Last time I saw it mentioned, it had gone into the 'they're arsing about over it again bracket'. Can't believe this'd slipped by without me noticing.

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
                              uprated injectors?, where do i get those, allthough i've had no issues so far
                              As to whether they're *truly* needed is a debatable point. It's never been completely proven. Elsbett do them, (German company), where you send the injectors off and they adjust the pressure and spray pattern. I would assume we also have some companies doing it over here now too. Diesel Bob possibly? Like I mentioned though, there has never been total proof that you do need them, even when running 100%. Pre-heating seems to negate their need, mostly.

Comment

Working...
                              X