injection timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• injection timing

what controls this? is there any way that for some reason it may become 'out'
    or does our trucks work differenty to this type (ive no idea)
    mine is a 2.4 td
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by tonyppe
    what controls this? is there any way that for some reason it may become 'out'
    or does our trucks work differenty to this type (ive no idea)
    mine is a 2.4 td

The timing belt operates the fuel pump, if the belt jumps a tooth then the pump timing will be out.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      The timing belt operates the fuel pump, if the belt jumps a tooth then the pump timing will be out.
      is this the same as injector timing or am i talking out my behind?
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

is this the same as injector timing or am i talking out my behind?
        YES!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          YES!

ok!
          so how would i know if my timing was out? say if it was just 1 tooth one way or the other, would there be a big difference?
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

ok!
            so how would i know if my timing was out? say if it was just 1 tooth one way or the other, would there be a big difference?

The engine wouldn't rev and you'd hear a knocking/tapping noise.

You'll need to remove the front cover on the engine to check the timing marks are lined up.

Comment

The engine wouldn't rev and you'd hear a knocking/tapping noise.

even if it was just 1 tooth out?
              im asking because i was reading that dieselbob website, and you might remember that i sometimes get a tapping noise about 1100 - 1800rpm. and sometimes i get the black/grey smoke coming out the exhaust.

but all this week the tapping has pretty much disapeared again, and there is less smoke than ever. even when i stamp on the throttle to the floor from tickover i get almost no puff of smoke at all. and the tapping like i said - almost completely gone. if i hold the revs in that area it come back, like the odd one click every 5 seconds or so. but it only smokes when it tapps it seems.

would i have felt anything within the car if it had jumped a tooth? its an automatic so going by what ive been told - there is less chance it would do it with an auto...
              my car pulls really well once the turbo has kicked in, and goes up to 90 no problem at all.
              im not experienced with this sort of thing, i just read that from dieselbob and went prrrrrpppppppp
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

You could have a sticking valve i suppose Or a faulty Injector
                (\__/)
                (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  You could have a sticking valve i suppose Or a faulty Injector
                  im still hoping its just a fualty injector.. its been going round my head for months. but to be honest i dont know how they open or close so im only guessing.
                  ive just bought 4 on sunday, and im hoping they will be here today or tomorrow so i can fit them on saturday.
                  i hope for a lot of things lol

i did do one thing tho, i turned the idle up on when it was ticking the most, and then i undone the oil filler cap. the ticking didnt get any louder or higher pitch, so the noise isnt coming from under the rocker cover. i had a thought that the rocker cover being sealed would muffle the noise, so undoing the cap would unmuffle it as the noise would escape through the hole if it makes sense
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

As Marky said, it's most likely a sticking injector. Try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank or better still, unscrew the fuel filter, empty it out and fill it with Redex or similar and re-fit..

Comment

As Marky said, it's most likely a sticking injector. Try some injector cleaner in the fuel tank or better still, unscrew the fuel filter, empty it out and fill it with Redex or similar and re-fit..
                      i did all this, at one point i had about half a bottle of reddex in, and a whole bottle of some other stuff to clean the injectors (but it smelled exactly the same as the reddex stuff) and it didnt do a thing. first time i put this through my system i noticed a load of difference to accelleration. it turned it into something thats slow but doesnt bother me. whereas it was slow and so slow it was dangerous.
                      cant wait to try my new injectors

thanks for your info you lot
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i did all this, at one point i had about half a bottle of reddex in, and a whole bottle of some other stuff to clean the injectors (but it smelled exactly the same as the reddex stuff) and it didnt do a thing. first time i put this through my system i noticed a load of difference to accelleration. it turned it into something thats slow but doesnt bother me. whereas it was slow and so slow it was dangerous.
                        cant wait to try my new injectors

thanks for your info you lot
                        A dose of ATF in the tank sorted mine out, i put a lt in half tank of diesil first time, now add a bit every so often,
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
                        X