Mk1 MR2 on Wheeler Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mk1 MR2 on Wheeler Dealers

One of my all time fave cars. Had one for a few years, fantastic car.

Wouldn't mind another one actually...
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Is that the one with the big flat bit on the back?!?

Alas im not great on MR2's

Comment

Big flat bit???

It's a great car. I reckon it would keep up with just about anything on a very tight twisty road.

(and so did Autocar when they reviewed it as a 2nd hand buy. They reckoned it was the best handling car this side of a Ferrari 328!)

Mine was lightly modded. Adjustable coil-overs and 16" wheels, but it was a very 'pure' car. No ABS, no power steering, well balanced mid engined RWD.

Ahhhh (misty eyed)

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
        Big flat bit???

It's a great car. I reckon it would keep up with just about anything on a very tight twisty road.

(and so did Autocar when they reviewed it as a 2nd hand buy. They reckoned it was the best handling car this side of a Ferrari 328!)

Mine was lightly modded. Adjustable coil-overs and 16" wheels, but it was a very 'pure' car. No ABS, no power steering, well balanced mid engined RWD.

Ahhhh (misty eyed)
        yeah over the engine bay! or am i talkin bout somet else?!

I've got a mate whos pretty much 1st car was a 52 plate... He flat out refuses to buy anything older! Hes now looking at getting a 04+ because his is getting old! Needless to say ive had countless pointless coversations trying to sway him to older cars but he wont budge!

There are sooo many beautiful cars out there from all eras and i feel bad for him! hes going to miss out on how it feels to be truly connected with the road! What its like to lift a bonnet and see what does what! Just the shapes, the sounds! Poor bloke!

Comment

There's no modern cars that make me think 'I must have one'.

The Surf aside, there's a couple of affordable cars I'd like.

Mk1 MR2 (the Mk2 was a girls shopping car)
          Celica GT4 (the very last one)
          Peugeot 205GTi (1600, the bigger engine was to heavy and screwed the handling so in real terms it was no quicker)

... and thats about it.

Not interested in all the computerised jap stuff like Skylines etc. Too detatched. Or modern stuff like scoobies... ten a penny. Impressive, but where is the involvement?

Comment

the mk1 mr2 has a funny handbrake!
            mid engined rwd 1.6 madness

i was more into the classic ford types. my 1.6 mk1 xr2 had been overbored, 1.3 pistons.... twin 40 dcoe carbs. torque steered all over the place until 3rd gear and then any roughness in the road would make it steer. but i blame the LSD (i would of locked the diff but got rid of it before i got to that stage) the 1/4 mile was done in 14 seconds with smaller cam ~125bhp ish. after i rebuilt it, it pushed 143bhp (would of made more, i didnt know the valve stem seals and guides were worn- i had them done at a later date)

front wheel drive and a locked diff is a must for race cars!
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
            X