glad to be back from flooded yorkshire & overheat help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonyppe
    hi, well i just got back about an hour ago from going to leeds for the weekend.
    the drive up was great apart from about 4 traffic jams between J9 m25 and then on the M1.
    i got a few waves from people in their surfs, but i didnt see a blue star so doubt they are from here...
    this is the first long run, i didnt want to stop, ive just spent 2 hours on the m25 in traffic! i was constantly watching the temp gauge as im now parranoid since reading all these posts. it did not budge, even when i was doing 90. i was so happy with it. so the journey took 5 hours and i stopped to let some air out the tyres (about that later)
    when i got to my destination i left the engine running for about 5 - 6 minutes before switching off.
    next afternoon when i went out to check it (having been out all day that saturday) i noticed my top hose was all sucked in! imagine a straw when your trying to get milkshake thats too thick.
    so i checked my return pipe back to the plastic bottle, i took it off and blew through it. i almost went red in the face before i blew all this sludge out. i thought ah! theres the problem. when i took the rad cap off it sucked in air and the hose went back to normal. imagine opening a can of coke backwards... hehe
    i noticed that there had been a leak from the top hose, but i put this down to too much pressure in the system due to the blockage.
    so i checked made sure the temp didnt go past where it should and i left it ticking over for ages... all ok.
    so on the way back i was constantly watching it again, and then all of a sudden when im over 70 the temp needle starts going up!
    so now in 'brown mode' i put the heaters on, and it immediately drops back to where it should be. NOTE it went up about 2mm max - like i said im now parranoid about head gasket trouble...
    so now im baking inside the car, and this never happened on the friday on the way up, i can only piece together what i had initially thought- that the rad cap wasnt strong enough to hold pressure.
    so i pulled over a little bit down the road on the m1 and found some a4 paper in the car, i tore a bit off, rolled it into bung and stuffed it in the return pipe. then i put the return pipe back to where it should be and i went on my way. the water level was fine.
    all the way home i was doing 70+ and the temperature did not move and was perfect just like the friday. now ive got home ive removed the bung so that when the system cools and contracts it will suck in water and not air.

so does everyone agree that i need a new rad cap?
    thanks for looking
    yep, and by the sounds of it new pants
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200
      yep, and by the sounds of it new pants
      pants will be alright. they were the 70s style colour brown so no need to worry there
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Did You Have Power Loss, Misfire, Or Smoke? Have You Checked The Rad Cold Yet?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
          Did You Have Power Loss, Misfire, Or Smoke? Have You Checked The Rad Cold Yet?
          no power loss, i was doing 90mph on the motorway no problem cruising at 75-85 ok. no mis fire at all. little black smoke when i stab the throttle and occasionally it does it more than that but new injectors are on their way.
          i checked the rad cold and i could see water at the cap, so i poured more in until it came up the hole a bit.
          still need to find a new cap. i dunno where i can get one from
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

have you tried milners, or there is a shop in west croydon bus station called supreme motor spares, he does all jap stuff
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
              have you tried milners, or there is a shop in west croydon bus station called supreme motor spares, he does all jap stuff
              inside the bus station? are you sure?
              i was going to go to the main dealer but not yet. its probably too expensive. ill try milners and see. cheers
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

yes its inside the bus station in the corner, just past the tram stop its listed on yell .com
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Any motor factors. 13LB/psi, 0.9 bar Hilux 2.4 rad cap. There are two fittings. You obviously want the same fitting as you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Any motor factors. 13LB/psi, 0.9 bar Hilux 2.4 rad cap. There are two fittings. You obviously want the same fitting as you already have.
                    i wondered if there was a pressure rating. ok ill see about getting one at the weekend. im not doing any motorway journeys till then
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                      i wondered if there was a pressure rating. ok ill see about getting one at the weekend. im not doing any motorway journeys till then
                      Jeeeyz mate your brave - 90mph up the motorway

I have been pootling in mine tryin to keep it off boost since it started smokin and your hurtling round the motorways.
                      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by Bibs
                        Jeeeyz mate your brave - 90mph up the motorway

I have been pootling in mine tryin to keep it off boost since it started smokin and your hurtling round the motorways.
                        bah its alright! that 90mph wind through the intercooler done it some good
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X