Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to the person with smoke probs

hello,
    i had been reading your posts (cant remember who) about someone getting probs with excess smoke coming out the exhaust. now the strangest thing is, the other morning i had james bond style smoke coming out mine! i thought 'how queer!' (can you tell im still excited about the forum being back up....)
    anyway, i pulled away after a few minutes of letting it warm up, and it was as it usually is, fine.. no mis fires or anything strange apart from visible exhaust fumes at tickover.
    once i was moving it sorted it self out. and later that day on the way home it was fine. i take this as over fuelling. i had a bad strong smell of the vegetable oil.
    now if the engine is ticking over and i stamp the throttle to pull away, i get a puff of overfuel smoke this is very dark colour.
    no just as i was doing a round i noticed there is visible smoke at tickover again.
    but it sorted itself out once moving and is now fine again.

just to note, im getting a strange ticking noise that im hoping is an injector.. may be one of them is starting to hold open now and its giving me james bond gadgets that i dont want. it is not tappet noise as ive unscrewed the oil fill cap and the noise doesnt get any different, which means its not in the rocker cover...
    but i dont know much, if anything at all about injectors. all i know is they are expensive..
    i hope the person who has the problem reads this
    otherwise take care
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Originally posted by tonyppe
    hello,
    i had been reading your posts (cant remember who) about someone getting probs with excess smoke coming out the exhaust. now the strangest thing is, the other morning i had james bond style smoke coming out mine! i thought 'how queer!' (can you tell im still excited about the forum being back up....)
    anyway, i pulled away after a few minutes of letting it warm up, and it was as it usually is, fine.. no mis fires or anything strange apart from visible exhaust fumes at tickover.
    once i was moving it sorted it self out. and later that day on the way home it was fine. i take this as over fuelling. i had a bad strong smell of the vegetable oil.
    now if the engine is ticking over and i stamp the throttle to pull away, i get a puff of overfuel smoke this is very dark colour.
    no just as i was doing a round i noticed there is visible smoke at tickover again.
    but it sorted itself out once moving and is now fine again.

just to note, im getting a strange ticking noise that im hoping is an injector.. may be one of them is starting to hold open now and its giving me james bond gadgets that i dont want. it is not tappet noise as ive unscrewed the oil fill cap and the noise doesnt get any different, which means its not in the rocker cover...
    but i dont know much, if anything at all about injectors. all i know is they are expensive..
    i hope the person who has the problem reads this
    otherwise take care
    Tonyppe

I too have a smoke problem - was told it was prob me injectors. Intermittant too. Smoke - no smoke - make up ya mind - if ya gonna smoke then smoke, don't toy with me an get me hopes up........

Gonna take it to the garage and get a health check as I have cleaned all the $$$$py oil outta all the air pipes that was seepin out of all joins an no change.

Gonna be costly I can see it.

Bibs
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Injectors can be reconditioned, if you can do without the surf for a while.

See here;

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
        Injectors can be reconditioned, if you can do without the surf for a while.

See here;

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/
        Brilliant - prob is cant do without the Surf - but if needs must

Bibs

Comment

You could also try ebay, but I couldn't find any on the UK site but you may be able to import some from USA or Oz, which will be much cheaper.

Then you could get yours reconned and resell them, probably to someone on here.

Just an idea.
          Rob

Comment

Or if you could get a set from a scr@ppers and send them off for reconning. Knowing scr@ppers these days though, they'd probably be tardy sods and not let you have the injectors out of an engine. Might be worth a shot, however.

Comment

Lucas or what ever they are called now re-conned mine - seem to remember bout £80 could be wrong.....but it did make a difference
              Did I mention I have a BLUE one
              Tony

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Or if you could get a set from a scr@ppers and send them off for reconning. Knowing scr@ppers these days though, they'd probably be tardy sods and not let you have the injectors out of an engine. Might be worth a shot, however.
                Now thats a dam good idea - never would have thought of that, I'll have a ring round Monday

Cheers for that Mattf

Comment

you can buy recons from diesel bob and a few others without taking yours out first just pay a deposit to claim back when you send your old ones back

Comment

For goodness sake don't leave it a smoker. I kept putting it off.

"Oh it aint so bad, i'll look at it when I have some cash etc etc

Mine didn't over smoke but Iv'e been servicing and repairing motors for 25 years and should have known that excessive diesel washes the oil from the bores. I waited to long.

Thank god Stevo was there to recon my entire bottom end.

Smoke needs fixing before you knacker your motor.

I bought new injectors from Diesel Bob cos after being an account holder with lucas for more years than I can remember they let me down.

I'm sure they are ok but my local !!!!!! branch 190 mile round trip are $$$$.

Cheers JB
                    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Mine puffs a little bit on start up... whatever the weathers doing! Is that bad? if it is.... please keep quiet about it I dont want to fork out money on the damn engine and my insurance would die a most painful death if i told them i wanted a V6 or V8

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                        Mine puffs a little bit on start up... whatever the weathers doing! Is that bad? if it is.... please keep quiet about it I dont want to fork out money on the damn engine and my insurance would die a most painful death if i told them i wanted a V6 or V8
                        The "puff" on start up is probably wear on the valve guide seals, so can be considered "normal" for an older diesel engine so I wouldn't worry about it.
                        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                          The "puff" on start up is probably wear on the valve guide seals, so can be considered "normal" for an older diesel engine so I wouldn't worry about it.

I LOVE YOUUUUU!!

Thats another way of saying "Thank you for putting my mind at rest!"

Comment

Yep I agree with Plumdbob If your reeking up the hill or everytime you step on the gas after normal cruising be worried.
                            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

ill get some injectors this week then
                              ive just been to leeds and back, and it smokes less now. like even when i stamp on the throttle. but bet it will come back during the week.
                              ta taa!
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X