Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Batteries AGAIN

Hi Guys,

Had my surf for a few days now but it's not been driven a whole lot. I think it had been on the forecourt for a few months so I'm guessing that could be a factor but ...

I picked it up on wednesday and used it on my work commute home and back in on the thursday morning. (50 miles total) no problems. I then went on a business trip and came back on the friday evening to find that she wouldn't start due to the battery having no power (mine has two of the things!) We got it charged and the RAC guy said it was the fanbelts slipping and not charging the batteries so he tightened one up, got it started and told me to tighten the second when I was at home. He seemed confident that the problem was solved. And I did the 25 mile journey home no problem. However same story this morning- Dead battery!

I'm waiting for them to turn up again now and I'm getting rather worried as I'm heavily reliant upon the beast for getting about and I love it to bits. Does anyone have any experience of batteries being rather keen to run themselves flat overnight? Is there some bit of gadgetry prone to cause issues?

I'm prob being paranoid but an auto diesel isn't the easiest thing to get started with a flat battery

Cheers guys

Chris
    here's to new horizons

If one of your batteries in knackered, it will destroy the other one in short time.

Check there is ~14.4v on each battery when the engine is running with 'idle up' switched on. If so, charging is almost certainly OK. If this is the case, chuck the batteries away and fit a pair of new ones.

Give Roughtrax (Bristol) a ring, they stock the handed batteries, though others on the forum have got them elsewhere. Expect to pay around £100 - £120 for the pair.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by chrissyboy
      RAC guy said it was the fanbelts slipping and not charging the batteries so he tightened one up, got it started and told me to tighten the second when I was at home.
      Both belts run on the same pulleys. You can't tighten one and not the other. If alternator charging is ok with above test, have each battery load tested individually. This will show if one or both are duds. Probably better to replace both at same time though if you can afford it with batteries of equal capacity. You could also install an isolator in the future. That way if one battery goes flat you can jump start yourself.

Nev

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34342
        I Love Wales

Comment

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from and get them to sort it.

Comment

find out witch battery is dud and for now disconect it until you can replace both together she will run ok on one battory

Comment

All sorted now except i've lost the turbo timer

Hi guys cheers for the response. It turned out there was a dodgy clip on the connectors which was just rattling lose as soon as the engine tried to tick over but then returned to its place making it hard to diagnose. Got rid of the click and now everything's fine except I seem to have lost power to my turbo timer at least I can get going now though

Cheers again guys.

Chris
              here's to new horizons

Comment

Had the same problem with mine, Engine would turn but not fire and would quickley run down the battery, wiggle the dud terminal and she would fire right away.

I replaced the 2 positive terminals with the gold plated type, No more problems

Comment

Working...
                X