Oil of choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil of choice

Wots yours? i been useing Castrol GTD but was wondering is theres a better oil, also do you reccomend any type of additives like molyslip, STP and the like? can you use these type of things in a diesil?
    Always used em on my previous motors (mostly olduns, and always petrol) and they lasted OK the serria went to the crusher with a good engine,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    Wots yours? i been useing Castrol GTD but was wondering is theres a better oil, also do you reccomend any type of additives like molyslip, STP and the like? can you use these type of things in a diesil?
    Always used em on my previous motors (mostly olduns, and always petrol) and they lasted OK the serria went to the crusher with a good engine,

To be honest, I think additives like Molyslip, Slick 50 etc are only useful in a relatively new engine before any serious wear has taken place, in a 15 year old engine they just thicken the oil to reduce noise.

I've always used this since I've had the truck.......
    it's cheap as chips and just down the road to buy it!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      To be honest, I think additives like Molyslip, Slick 50 etc are only useful in a relatively new engine before any serious wear has taken place, in a 15 year old engine they just thicken the oil to reduce noise.

I've always used this since I've had the truck.......
      it's cheap as chips and just down the road to buy it!
      Thats what I use, as you say cheap as chips, and seems decent stuff.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

i use drums of Chevron
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

GTD Magnatec, with frequent changes. The cost of oil is much less than the cost of an engine.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I use 15/40 semi synthetic Diesel oil
            www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              GTD Magnatec, with frequent changes. The cost of oil is much less than the cost of an engine.
              Ditto for my truck(s) I do a lot of very short journeys.

stuff like STP just thickens up the oil, I used to be good as a tempoary cure for knocking big ends when the owner couldn't afford an engine re-build.

Slick 50 is supposed to be a differant animal, it actually coats the journals with a thin layer of PTFE that reduces the friction and wear. I've used the stuff and also heard of the method the sales reps used to use to sell it.....

but i've never seen it done (& wouldn't like to try it!!)
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Same as Dirtydog 20L drums of Chevron 15/40 for diesels from COSTCO. Pretty cheap. Frequent changes ( every 3-4 thousand) with a new filter at every second change.
                In my opinion ( and I know what opinions are like, Ive read your signature) additives are a waste of time and money. The oil companies already take care of that for you. If its not in their oil, you dont need it. I know that minicabs operate a bit differently from the family transport but a mate of mine used to have a small fleet. He used 200l drums of the cheapest oil he could get, changed oil regularly and had vehicles with over 300,000 miles on the clock running sweetly.

Its all in the frequency , anything else is smoke and mirrors, an illusion

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                  Same as Dirtydog 20L drums of Chevron 15/40 for diesels from COSTCO. Pretty cheap. Frequent changes ( every 3-4 thousand) with a new filter at every second change.
                  In my opinion ( and I know what opinions are like, Ive read your signature) additives are a waste of time and money. The oil companies already take care of that for you. If its not in their oil, you dont need it. I know that minicabs operate a bit differently from the family transport but a mate of mine used to have a small fleet. He used 200l drums of the cheapest oil he could get, changed oil regularly and had vehicles with over 300,000 miles on the clock running sweetly.

Its all in the frequency , anything else is smoke and mirrors, an illusion

Bogus
                  Hehe the signature's a bit of nonsence from a dirty harry film, i do really value
                  oppinions,

Cheers all, was'nt thinking of slick50 as i have heard some stuff about it, but always rated molyslip, anyway point taken,
                  never used "coma" oil before! i'd always thought cheap oil's false economy but if its ok then ok with me,
                  used to like Duckhams, yellow tin, green oil, always looked a better oil, i believe you cant get it now,

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                    Hehe the signature's a bit of nonsence from a dirty harry film, i do really value
                    oppinions,

Cheers all, was'nt thinking of slick50 as i have heard some stuff about it, but always rated molyslip, anyway point taken,
                    never used "coma" oil before! i'd always thought cheap oil's false economy but if its ok then ok with me,
                    used to like Duckhams, yellow tin, green oil, always looked a better oil, i believe you cant get it now,

D'you mean this?
                    T'is still available.

Comment

Yep, anything cheap and cheerful and has the correct spec. The Comma stuff is as good as any of the dearer ones,

Cheers, Nick
                      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

got some Castrol magnatech semi synthetic. Cheap too as a friend of mine works for Halfords
                        Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
                          got some Castrol magnatech semi synthetic. Cheap too as a friend of mine works for Halfords
                          Well it goes without saying any friend of yours is a friend of mine

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            D'you mean this?
                            T'is still available.
                            Ah good! i'm sure someone told me it was no longer available, i'll go for that (if i can find it)

Comment

I use the Comma oil in all our diesels, never had any probs, and it's gonna get chucked out every few months, and as said before, if it's the right spec it'll do the job as well as any expensive oil.

I used comma oil in a citroen diesel i bought from new, and put 350,000 miles on it using the cheapest oil, changed every 6000 miles.

All of our surfs have fairly high milage ( most done before we got them) so the damage is already done.

Cheap oil is good!
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X