Oh, what a night....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, what a night....

Sorry, but that's the end of the upbeat musical reference.

I don't know how to write this, so if I sound like I'm rambling, then please forgive me....

Tonight, after work, I went for dinner with my father, who reminded me I haven't seen him or my mother since October last year......and anyway, just as he was paying for the meal a woman walked over to our table, really REALLY drunk, and said from across the room "I know you..." - She's one of the cleaners from our office, Christine.

Christine is 53, and her 59 year old husband is dying in a bedroom in their house, about a mile from the bar, and she was drunk out of her mind. She was supposed to turn up to court today to face a drink drive charge, one of 4 from recent weeks....and on Monday last week, crashed her car into a ditch.

She said that she didn't care about her husband, couldn't in fact, because of all the years he beat her - and she was angry that people saw her as 'just a cleaner' and said a number of times, that she was much more than just a cleaner...anyway, she said that she was going to kill herself, tonight. She'd had enough of everything, her family wanted nothing to do with her (3 kids and a handful of grandkids), she was worthless, and noone could understand how she felt.

My father and I tried to talk her round, saying it's not what you do, but who you are that's important, but I don't think she was interested, they just seemed like hollow words to her, and she was adament that tonight was her last night.

Now, I only know Christine for the odd smile and short chat at my desk when she comes to clean up at the end of the day, and she is a rough old bird, face that tells a thousand stories and under that, a smile that shows she's one of the world's more genuine people. But, I wanted to share this with you all, because, while I'm not looking for words of advice, there are some of you out there that can empathise with Christine, understand what she is going through, and I just want you to spare a couple of minutes to think about Christine, and pray if you want to, but just give her two minutes of your day/evening. I can't relay any messages, but if I see her again, then I'll certainly be taking the time to talk to her, and help her realise that even when you think there is noone, there is always someone you can turn to.

She may have been scared to speak to anyone about how she felt, and how her husband treated her, and I hope she can see this tonight and save herself, and realise that this world, harsh and uncaring that it may look sometimes, is still filled with wonderful people, the likes of which I'm privilaged to know through here, who can offer help to complete strangers, offer them a bed for the night (thanks Mark and Shirley) and parts (Vince, Woodsie, Andrew) and their help (Mark, Woodsie, Boyo, Lurch) and I hope that we will always keep this family and community spirit alive for us all on here, and spread that out for others too - you are all like an extended family here, and I want to let you all know that the difference you make, however small it may seem to you, is huge to those you provide it to.

Thanks, and sorry for bringing the mood down.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Hope Christine is alright

Good of you to take the time out to help her

Mark

Comment

Listen mate you've done all you can and I am glad you put your view on here. All you can do is give advice and the caring hand of friendship.

Also getting the lass to read your comments and reassure her that things will get better.

Sounds like the lass has gone through a living night mare and all that can pull her through is a willingness to get help.

Whatever the offence drink drive or whatever no one was hurt and so she should seek help through her solicitor ask for a leaflet on getting voluntary help. There's one at every nick or solicitors office. Turn up with a friend and a rep to get things sorted.

She will come through this ordeal.

Regards JB
      www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

yeah it was. although she might not have seemed to take in what you spoke about you never know how much that chat might have meant to her.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks guys - I've not heard anything today, but someone from her work team is going over to her house tonight and will give me an update tomorrow......
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
          X