Exhaust musings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust musings

Folks, since losing the rear section of my exhaust somewhere in the Welsh mountains, I've been pondering a replacement.

I noticed in the states that 4Runner exhausts exit under the rear bumper side trim and I got to thinking...

There is space underneath to route the exhaust *through* an oversized hole in the side bumper panel. Is this MOT friendly? I figured if I cut a 4" hole and trim it with a bezel of some sort I can easily thread a 3" pipe through there so it sits flush with the bumper panel. It'll be out of the way when offroading, and should look pretty neat too.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache
    Folks, since losing the rear section of my exhaust somewhere in the Welsh mountains, I've been pondering a replacement.

I noticed in the states that 4Runner exhausts exit under the rear bumper side trim and I got to thinking...

There is space underneath to route the exhaust *through* an oversized hole in the side bumper panel. Is this MOT friendly? I figured if I cut a 4" hole and trim it with a bezel of some sort I can easily thread a 3" pipe through there so it sits flush with the bumper panel. It'll be out of the way when offroading, and should look pretty neat too.
    yep its legal,i think big t was pondering with the idea too.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

OK, I'll race him to be first!

Comment

You got no chance - he's probably finished both sides by now!!!!!!
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Have you got an Astra to show you the way ?

ps he's now made 3 sets
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

pah!
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

any progress with this - thinking of doing the same thing
              Bunkle
              Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

You been reading my mind?
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                  You been reading my mind?
                  we have strange powers us narrow bodied drivers, looks good, does it rattle against the bumper alot though ?
                  Bunkle
                  Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                    we have strange powers us narrow bodied drivers, looks good, does it rattle against the bumper alot though ?
                    Dunno it aint piped up yet, cant afford the s/s ehaust yet so i was going to stick some dummy tubes out of there, found some oval shaped alloy flue i've cut at an angle, polish up and if my messing about with alloy arc welding works out i might have a go at makeing my own, there was two reasons for doing this, i thought it might look good plus it got rid of two rust spots on each side

Comment

No doubt it would be legal.....anyone that has a memory that goes back to the Vauxhall Victor FB (I think) early 70's will remember that the exhaust came through a 'roundel' on the rear corner of the bumper
                      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                      Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires
                        No doubt it would be legal.....anyone that has a memory that goes back to the Vauxhall Victor FB (I think) early 70's will remember that the exhaust came through a 'roundel' on the rear corner of the bumper
                        Yup i remember them, (just) ($hit i had a PA)

long as they dont poke out past the body line i cant see it being a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                          any progress with this - thinking of doing the same thing
                          Not yet. My welding mate has had his boll*cks snipped last wednesday, and I've been busy this week.

I've had the bits from Jetex, and have cut them to size, so it just needs welding up. Hopefully later this week / early next week.

Comment

Not yet. My welding mate has had his boll*cks snipped last wednesday, and I've been busy this week.

I've had the bits from Jetex, and have cut them to size, so it just needs welding up. Hopefully later this week / early next week.
                            what was his name whojanickabollockoff
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

i had to read that twice then as i thought you were on about you had the the bits back that were snipped and your mate was called jetex
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X