Any Oracle DBA types out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Oracle DBA types out there?

Sorry, not surf related but I have an issue at work that is totally baffling me (and so far the only dba-like person we have here at the moment) and wondered if there were any Oracle DBA's here who might be able to help?

In brief its to do with applying oracle archive logs to a standby database, and for some reason the recover process is occasionally requesting an archive log that it has previously processed. i.e. as a simple example its processing say logs 5,6,7,8,9,10, then suddenly wanting 7 again!

It's as if the standby is suddenly being reverted back to a previous state but I cannot understand how this is even possible, let alone what might be causing it or how I can trace what might be causing it.

Been trying to search meta-link and google for answers but so far no clue.
    Last edited by codlord; 1 June 2007, 10:31.
    No longer a Surf owner.

Originally posted by codlord
    Sorry, not surf related but I have an issue at work that is totally baffling me (and so far the only dba-like person we have here at the moment) and wondered if there were any Oracle DBA's here who might be able to help?

In brief its to do with applying oracle archive logs to a standby database, and for some reason the recover process is occasionally requesting an archive log that it has previously processed. i.e. as a simple example its processing say logs 5,6,7,8,9,10, then suddenly wanting 7 again!

It's as if the standby is suddenly being reverted back to a previous state but I cannot understand how this is even possible, let alone what might be causing it or how I can trace what might be causing it.

is that the 16-bit one?
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

No idea regarding Oracle specifically, but how are you scripting the archiving? What OS are you running the archiving script on?

Comment

Originally posted by codlord

Aint a DBA, so only know this bit on Oracle?

Is the log full or is there enough disk space. Redo log space requests occur when the active archive log is full and Oracle needs (waiting) disk space for the new redo entries.???

dont know if this will help at all
        http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c...57/ch12007.htm
        Last edited by Gizmo; 1 June 2007, 19:58.
        Gaz

Comment

I'm also not much of an Oracle DBA, but I work with a bunch of people who are, so I'll try and remember to ask them on Monday.

In the mean time, the main cause of problems in Oracle when doing large bulk sized operations is Redo-log space being to small, and Oracle filling it up and not being able to continue.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Cheers for the input.

Both databases and therefore the scripting is running on Linux servers.

Disk space is fine on both servers and it's nothing to do with the redo logs, this is just to do with when running in archive log mode - basically Oracle is writing out archive logs which have the details of all the operations carried out on the database. These can then be shipped to a standby database (a copy of the master database) and all operations applied to that, therefore keeping an up-to-date copy of the master on another server for emergency use.

Raised a support request with Oracle now, but so far nothing back.
            No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I would assume you've already done their tech site to death, but just on the off chance, there may be something on here:

http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/o...933283,00.html

Can't say for definite 'cos my mind went numb about halfway down the page.

Comment

Working...
              X