Headlight Bulb replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Bulb replacement

Well, I've got away with it since owning the truck from Japan in Aug 2005, but now one of my headlight bulbs has gone.

So the joy of moving the batteries and bottles awaits. But, the bloo*y weather is pi*sing it down, so not able to do it until it improves.

My lights have always been pretty good, quite bright on the standard loom, so I'm just going to get some standard bulbs, but I might go for the blue/white type.

Hope the weather improves. Had to pop to the shop last night. Used my PIAA fog lights (which are yellow) but don't want to do that often as they are bright as fu*k.

I might be wrong mate, but i think i read somewhere its easier to just remove the grill??!? Might be worth checking out see if that is the case.

I thought i had some xenon type bulbs in as they are a very white/blue colour, and my sidelights were yellow....so i change to xenon type sidelights...now my headlights look yellow in comparision!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
      I might be wrong mate, but i think i read somewhere its easier to just remove the grill??!? Might be worth checking out see if that is the case.

I thought i had some xenon type bulbs in as they are a very white/blue colour, and my sidelights were yellow....so i change to xenon type sidelights...now my headlights look yellow in comparision!
      Oooohhh no no no! I think it's much easier to remove the offending battery and bottle, I've removed a couple of grills and I think they are a complete pain
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I didn't even attempt to remove the grill.

I replaced both bulbs with 30% brighter xenon H4 bulbs. It was an easy job. I had both batteries removed and bottles moved in 10 mins. Then spent another hour cleaning the area where the batteries sit and the batteries and terminals. Replaced and re-greased. Can't notice much difference though, but it is daylight, so will be able to tell when dark.

All in all a very easy job, just a pain that you have to do all that just for the bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
          I didn't even attempt to remove the grill.

I replaced both bulbs with 30% brighter xenon H4 bulbs. It was an easy job. I had both batteries removed and bottles moved in 10 mins. Then spent another hour cleaning the area where the batteries sit and the batteries and terminals. Replaced and re-greased. Can't notice much difference though, but it is daylight, so will be able to tell when dark.

All in all a very easy job, just a pain that you have to do all that just for the bulbs.
          is that on the pre-facelift or postfacelift? I'm looking at putting in some brighter lights one day. where did you get your bulbs and how much?
          Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Upgrade the looms and put 100/80w bulbs in the difference is massive
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos
              is that on the pre-facelift or postfacelift? I'm looking at putting in some brighter lights one day. where did you get your bulbs and how much?

It's a 1994 2nd gen, the face life was the late 3rd gen wasn't it???

It was an easy job. I got the bulbs from halfrauds for £9.99 each.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                Upgrade the looms and put 100/80w bulbs in the difference is massive

I'm not going to bother with that as the light output is ok on my truck. Besides 100/80 are for off road use anyway. I don't want the plastic inside my headlight to melt!!!

Comment

I'm not going to bother with that as the light output is ok on my truck. Besides 100/80 are for off road use anyway. I don't want the plastic inside my headlight to melt!!!
                  2nd gen facelift was August 91>, pre facelift got glass lenses which are fine with the 100w bulbs, dunno about the rest.

The only thing is they get a little fragile in the rain and crack easily after prolonged use with the extra heat from the bulbs. And when the additional relays get damp the headlights randomly turn on when the trucks parked but that's what you get for being lazy and using old relays and not mounting them up properly, just leaving them sitting on the inner wing i guess.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

It's a 1994 2nd gen, the face life was the late 3rd gen wasn't it???

It was an easy job. I got the bulbs from halfrauds for £9.99 each.
                    About half way through the 2nd gens they changed to look of the front end. Pre-face lift have recessed square headlights and the indicators are mounted in the top section of the front bumper. Post face-lift, the headlights are more of a flush fitting with the front end and the indicators are a little bigger and sit between the top section and lower valance of the front bumper. Mine's the post face-lift model, but I've added a pre face-left front bumper. Looks kind of unique now

Comment

I take it mine is the post facelift version then??
                      Last edited by M35A2; 1 June 2007, 12:44.

Comment

I take it mine is the post facelift version then??
                        yep and this is my pre/post face-lift hybrid, note the different style front bumper. This pic is a little out of date though as I'm part way through giving my baby some cosmetic surgery
                        Last edited by captain_chaos; 1 June 2007, 12:58. Reason: added more text

Comment

if you are buying the bulbs from halfrauds just get there monkeys to do it, only costs a couple of quid. milners do the bulbs for 2.50 each though
                          TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlee31
                            if you are buying the bulbs from halfrauds just get there monkeys to do it, only costs a couple of quid. milners do the bulbs for 2.50 each though
                            Where's the fun in that? Taking your surf apart is part of the fun of owning one. And to be honest I don't really trust the Halfraud monkeys

Comment

buts its really $$$$ funny to watch them scratch there heads and gawp at each other. then just gently tell them to whip the batterys and bottles out, and to be bloddy sure to put the clamps back on properly when they have finished.
                              TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Working...
                              X