CV Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Help please

Can I please pick anyone's brains about how to write a CV. I haven't had to do one for 7 years and now need to start applying for 'proper' jobs, having been self employed it's going to be a real pain.

So if anyone can help with format or templates etc I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Haven't written one for years but this looks like it might help http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Work/CV.htm
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I usually write mine around the job spec you get back when you apply and "pad" the bits that are mentioned in what they are looking for. eg if it was an admin post but have shag all experience I might say "During the last X years I've been doing unpaid charity work with scouts/rspca/w.i. etc (basically anything with a committe) In this time I've been responsible for administration duties such as minute taking, report collations, information distribution and petty cash. Now the fact that I once went to a scout jumble sale might be as close as I'd got to doing my bit for charity but who's to know. If they ask if you're still involved you can always say "not at the moment, I'm taking a break as I don't know what my work commitments might be if I get this post" and you'll probably get training
      Mentioning you've been busy with charity work will cover up absences from formal employment....eg for a couple of years was I dicking about plumbing for cash in Canada or as I later said "working in a childrens mission in Ghana" ...which looks better on a job application?
      As a self employed bod you've been responsible for masses, from stock monitoring, to accounts and cash, paper work, working independantly, having a good work ethic and being self motivated.
      Sell your self and bend the truth..if it's good enough for the government....
      apply for loads of jobs you might vaguely want and check for buzz words and phrases in the bumf they send you and in the adverts, use a highlighter on the good stuff and recycle it in the application proper.Keep photocopies of your applications so you can brush up on what you've said if you get an interview. Even if you dont want the job go to the interview as the practice is good.
      All the best
      dinna say eh?....say fit?

Comment

i got my last one done by a girl on e bay
        she is a proffessional CV writer person
        try that was reasonable price and i got the job with first go with my new cv too
        she sent me a e mail asking my history and she did the rest
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

I have a CV template which is a standard recognised format, if you would like it sending over?

Once you have filled it out it looks quite good.
          -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
            I have a CV template which is a standard recognised format, if you would like it sending over?

Once you have filled it out it looks quite good.
            Yes please - I've just bodged one but any help would be appreciated
            Last edited by Mrs Jotto; 30 May 2007, 22:20.

Comment

Its too large to post on here.. PM me your email and I will send it over for you..

Comment

I wrote mine a few weeks back, with a bit of help from a friend, she worked in recruitment for a few major companies for about 6 years i'll happily email it over if you PM me an address.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

whats the job for? people keep telling me i should do a cv per job, so that its 100% suited to each place i go to.
                  also you have to suck bum if its for a corporate position. i dont like it at all.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                    also you have to suck bum if its for a corporate position. i dont like it at all.

If you CV is good enough then you dont have to suck bum.

Mrs Jotto.. you have email.

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                      Mrs Jotto.. you have email.
                      Got it thanks very much.

I'm not applying for anything in particular at the moment. We're moving soon and I have a bit of time to kill so I'd thought I'd get a CV organised now.

Comment

got mail again
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

last job i applied for i got bugger all back!... i don't even know if they looked at the CV!!

i've been trying to get away from driving.
                          thought "recruitment consultant - industrial/driving" would be a good job.

i've got all the experience, been working for lots of small companies doing pretty much everything from sweeping to hiring/firing and been self employed for 4 years and then previously owner driver.

but i guess they want a salesman who can bluff, not someone who knows what they're talking about!

wouldn't mind being a truck salesman either!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ask Marky for his - I redid it for him a while back - based on the format of mine - 2 page, high impact....I'll PM you mine if you like
                            Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Working...
                            X