Has anyone heard of the new MOT proposals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of the new MOT proposals

Just had this newsletter thru and was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this
    [IMG]mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pqcsawqn.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/Inbox?number=166399865&part=1. 4&filename=icon_issue.png[/IMG] Proposed MOT Changes

[IMG]mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pqcsawqn.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/Inbox?number=166399865&part=1. 5&filename=motV1.jpg[/IMG]Government plans to revise the MOT will mean cars will only have to be checked once every two years. As in Europe, the first test will take place when a car is four years old. Currently new cars are tested after three years and then annually but a review by the Treasury has suggested that motorists could save 465 million every year by adopting the EU regulations.

Led by Lord Davidson, the review is part of a bid by Gordon Brown to cut back on bureaucracy Britains regulations were found to be among the strictest in Europe, with the exceptions only of Hungary and Latvia, and Ministers believe modern technology allows for less regular testing. Although individual motorists would save money by only paying the 50 test fee every two years, critics fear the implications for road safety. Nearly 30% of cars fail the annual test and safety campaigners say the plans could mean over half the vehicles on the roads are not roadworthy.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

"campaigners say the plans could mean over half the vehicles on the roads are not roadworthy."

No change there then!

Comment

It's old news!
      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

I think that the mot's will be a hell of a lot stricter aswell if it does come into force and then the mot price go up aswell
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
          Just had this newsletter thru and was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about this
          [IMG]mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pqcsawqn.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/Inbox?number=166399865&part=1. 4&filename=icon_issue.png[/IMG] Proposed MOT Changes

[IMG]mailbox:///C%7C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/pqcsawqn.default/Mail/Local%20Folders/Inbox?number=166399865&part=1. 5&filename=motV1.jpg[/IMG]Government plans to revise the MOT will mean cars will only have to be checked once every two years. As in Europe, the first test will take place when a car is four years old. Currently new cars are tested after three years and then annually but a review by the Treasury has suggested that motorists could save 465 million every year by adopting the EU regulations.

Led by Lord Davidson, the review is part of a bid by Gordon Brown to cut back on bureaucracy Britains regulations were found to be among the strictest in Europe, with the exceptions only of Hungary and Latvia, and Ministers believe modern technology allows for less regular testing. Although individual motorists would save money by only paying the 50 test fee every two years, critics fear the implications for road safety. Nearly 30% of cars fail the annual test and safety campaigners say the plans could mean over half the vehicles on the roads are not roadworthy.
          Certainly heard of it. Motoring organisations and others of the 'do-gooder' ilk are against it of course.
          Works fine in France and apparently with no discernable increase in roadworthiness related accidents.

If it's introduced here, I wonder how much the cost of an MOT will increase?!! Remember, drivers never win!

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY
            Certainly heard of it. Motoring organisations and others of the 'do-gooder' ilk are against it of course.
            Works fine in France and apparently with no discernable increase in roadworthiness related accidents.

If it's introduced here, I wonder how much the cost of an MOT will increase?!! Remember, drivers never win!

If they increase the MOT fee, then there WILL be more un-roadworthy cars on the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              I think that the mot's will be a hell of a lot stricter aswell if it does come into force and then the mot price go up aswell
              No change there either !!!!!

There's always a Payback.... Ya just can't trust em can ya !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

just keeps going up dont it. like everything else (expletives) its already £50.
                if they want us to use the bus then why does that cost £2 each time you get on it?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i've always thought they should increase the cost of car parking and use congestion charging... use this to subsidise public transport so it's better and cheaper...

then there will be an alternative option to using the car to pop into town.

at the moment, our buses are all contracted to Vodaclone... if you don't work there, they just drive past empty.
                  you can't get a train into Reading to get ratted, cos the last one home's about 2130 and a taxi costs £50!!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    i've always thought they should increase the cost of car parking and use congestion charging... use this to subsidise public transport so it's better and cheaper...

then there will be an alternative option to using the car to pop into town.

at the moment, our buses are all contracted to Vodaclone... if you don't work there, they just drive past empty.
                    you can't get a train into Reading to get ratted, cos the last one home's about 2130 and a taxi costs £50!!

Bollox to that. If they did that then I would be out of a job. I live in Didcot and work out of Thatcham. How am I going to get into work at 4am in the morning using public transport? All this week I'm on a 05:15am start and getting home at 19:00hrs. How would I get home? Public transport is a joke as it's private companies that run it and they do that for profit. No one is going to do a half hour service right through the night to my depot gates.

Comment

This is what really gets my goat. If the rest of Europe was on 1yr MOT intervals and we were on 2yr intervals they would soon change that to bring us in line with them. But because we are paying more, their not bothered.

I don't see a problem with 2yr testing. After all, an MOT is only valid for the day it's taken and you are still required by law to maintain your vehicle in a roadworthy condition.

Look at Canada and the US. They don't even have an MOT. If I was in Canada and bought a vehicle second hand from either a dealer or private, the vehicle has to be safety checked and issued with a certificate of roadworthyness. But that is the only time it's required. After that it doesn't require a further test until it is sold. I could keep a truck for 20 years and not have it checked once apart from the initial test when I got it.

Comment

well i think our mot reg's should't be changed at all, like the poll said 30% of cars fail meaning unroad worthy, not fit to drive, death on wheels etc etc, fcuk the money saving, lives should be NO1
                        The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                          Bollox to that. If they did that then I would be out of a job. I live in Didcot and work out of Thatcham. How am I going to get into work at 4am in the morning using public transport? All this week I'm on a 05:15am start and getting home at 19:00hrs. How would I get home? Public transport is a joke as it's private companies that run it and they do that for profit. No one is going to do a half hour service right through the night to my depot gates.
                          what i meant was, perhaps a 50p extra on the town centre pay and display that goes into public transport to encourage you to use it.

all the vodafone buses around newbury running empty every 5 mins really gets on my tits!
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                            what i meant was, perhaps a 50p extra on the town centre pay and display that goes into public transport to encourage you to use it.

all the vodafone buses around newbury running empty every 5 mins really gets on my tits!

Yeah I know what you mean. I hate it when you are waiting to pull out from garage etc, and they wont flash you out, drive past and then when you get in behind them they pull up in the road to pick up and drop off and then your stuck behind them. Total tools.

Comment

Working...
                            X