thought surfs were the bizz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought surfs were the bizz

backed in to a ditch yesterday up the hills only one back wheel went in wasnt even that deep but sort of tipped her sideways making opposite side front wheel lift of the ground i couldnt for the life of me get her out it was very embarising having to get my mate with a rover 620 to pull me out tyres are brand new general grabber at2,s mybe had to much air in them i dont know

Did you have the 4wd in low or hi, and was the rear right wheel spining?
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

see, it's only actually 2wd when it's in 4wd.... usually the diff divides the drive 50/50 betwen the wheels on the driven axle, but if one of them has no grip (on mud, or in the air) then that will get 100% of drive from the diff.
      you could have perhaps put some weight on the back wheel that was spinning.

cross axle difflocks and fiddle brakes are always handy for stuff like that.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

you need difflocks for that sort of stuff matey.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Don't worry, no 4wd without diff locks would have got out of that.

Originally posted by mick19691
          backed in to a ditch yesterday up the hills only one back wheel went in wasnt even that deep but sort of tipped her sideways making opposite side front wheel lift of the ground i couldnt for the life of me get her out it was very embarising having to get my mate with a rover 620 to pull me out tyres are brand new general grabber at2,s mybe had to much air in them i dont know
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            Don't worry, no 4wd without diff locks would have got out of that.

i thought because ours dont have a centre diff one single wheel cannot spin on its own?? am i wrong on that?

now what you should of done was backed down it a bit more, then got a bit of momentum up
            i often get one front wheel and one rear wheel (diagonal) off the ground and ive not needed a tow.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

With an open diff, if one wheel on an axle is in the air then that wheel will spin and the one on the ground will have no drive - that's how diffs work. If you have one front and one rear wheel in the air then you have two axles with no drive - doesn't matter what sort of diff is in the middle. Of course if you have a lsd in the rear then that will help and momentum is a good cure-all
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                With an open diff, if one wheel on an axle is in the air then that wheel will spin and the one on the ground will have no drive - that's how diffs work. If you have one front and one rear wheel in the air then you have two axles with no drive - doesn't matter what sort of diff is in the middle. Of course if you have a lsd in the rear then that will help and momentum is a good cure-all
                may be i have a lsd then. i do have a sticker on my diff that says lsd oil only, but i thought open or lsd used same oil. and if i put power down out a corner in the wet the lightest rear wheel tends to spin
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                  may be i have a lsd then. i do have a sticker on my diff that says lsd oil only, but i thought open or lsd used same oil. and if i put power down out a corner in the wet the lightest rear wheel tends to spin
                  look at your vin plate There is a number following axel/diff...If it ends in a 5 it is a lsd.....eg 145
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i thought when in 4x4, due to the transfer box not having a centre diff, and so essentially "locked" - you only had problems with diagonal wheels not ahving traction
                    i.e. as in this case, one back wheel in ditch, and opposite front in air - = no drive - this is normal

if in 4x4 and one back wheel in mud and other ok, and two front wheels also grippy, you would be able to drive out, even without a locker on back axle
                    Landcruiser Colorado
                    Sub. Forester

Comment

the drivers side back wheel was in the ditch the other back wheel was on the ground as was the drivers side front wheel the other front wheel was off the ground i clicked the 4x4 switch back wheels just spun mybe to much air in tyres i checked today the have 35psi in them they are 31.10.5.15 they also brand new
                      thanks
                      mick

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                        i thought when in 4x4, due to the transfer box not having a centre diff, and so essentially "locked" - you only had problems with diagonal wheels not ahving traction
                        i.e. as in this case, one back wheel in ditch, and opposite front in air - = no drive - this is normal

if in 4x4 and one back wheel in mud and other ok, and two front wheels also grippy, you would be able to drive out, even without a locker on back axle
                        not necessarily diagonal wheels... if you park on a grass verge and have no grip, then you'll go nowhere.
                        the lack of centre diff means that you get constant drive to the front and rear props equally... but the front and rear diffs divide that power between the 2 wheels on that axle, which will be biased towards the wheel that is easier to turn.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

A centre diff will lock the front and rear axles 50/50. So if one of the wheels on either axle was in the air then it will move as the other axle has both wheels on the ground and that will get you out.

If you have an inter axle diff then that will lock both wheels on the same axle, so if one of the wheels on that axle is in the air, the other wheel will still drive as that axle is locked.

I used to drive DROPS in the Army. That is a 8X6 drive configeration and you have diff locks on each drive axle as well as a central diff lock in the trans gearbox. So that has inter axle and cross axle diff locks, air operated.

Comment

[QUOTE=da SLUG man]not necessarily diagonal wheels... if you park on a grass verge and have no grip, then you'll go nowhere.QUOTE]

Yeah, bl00dy Transit!

Comment

Working...
                            X