Spring Has Sprung Update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Has Sprung Update.

Well believe it or not the jobs done! My mate rang this morning shortly after my first post and because it's such a nice day he said we'd crack on and get the springs fitted.

To all those who are putting this off let me say if they are all as easy as this was you have nothing to worry about. We had the old ones off and the new ones fitted in about an hour and a quarter.

I was a bit wary when we compared the old to new as the new ones were quite a bit shorter but it worked out fine.

The steering now feels a lot lighter and it feels like I'm tipped forward in the drivers seat. It may just be me but the pictures don't do the improvement at the back end enough justice, although I did expect it to be a bit higher.

Various pictures attached for you perusal.

P.S. No more S.A.S. comments now, please!

Fitting the offside spring

Before

After

Comparison
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Good god man, get down to the hardware store and get yourself a large tin of Hammerite!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Good god man, get down to the hardware store and get yourself a large tin of Hammerite!
      Are you trying to kill me? It's because of your comments that I did the springs!

Got a 5 litre tin at the ready Vince, only trouble is I've got a dodgy right knee and getting under the truck is a bit of a problem. I need to borrow some really tall ramps before I get under the truck to paint the chassis. Might manage the diff though as it is affecyed the worst, the rest of the chassis is virtually rust free.
      Last edited by Scorpion; 26 May 2007, 16:40.

Comment

Don't forget the axle, as people can see it better now the rear end is lifted.

Comment

Don't forget the axle, as people can see it better now the rear end is lifted.
          Do you think it looks higher? I had hoped for a bit more lift. Perhaps coil spring spacers would help? But would they be all I need now?

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
            Do you think it looks higher? I had hoped for a bit more lift. Perhaps coil spring spacers would help? But would they be all I need now?

You've fitted up-rated springs, not lift springs, so the truck is now basically factory height.
            Spacers will lift the rear up nicely now.

Comment

You've fitted up-rated springs, not lift springs, so the truck is now basically factory height.
              Spacers will lift the rear up nicely now.
              Cheers Vince. Got myself a bit bogged down reading through lots of info on here. 2" lifts, 4" lifts, suspension lifts, body lifts, the list was endless and seemed to range from about £60, which is what I paid, to thousands.

You can only post so many questions and read so many replies then form your own opinion. What I really need is to see other members trucks at some gathering or other and talk to them face to face.

Comment

Here's mine after fitting same springs but with 2" spacers from 4crawler USA. also wound up front torsion bars an inch or so.
                Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
                  Here's mine after fitting same springs but with 2" spacers from 4crawler USA. also wound up front torsion bars an inch or so.

thats a real bad cut and shut job

Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Those were pretty much my thoughts. For someone who claims to be a founder member of the shiny club, that is really quite embarrasing. Shame on you Copycat. You cant just do superficial shiny you know.
                    Should be easier to get underneath too now that youve got the sagginess out. It looks about right to me although I suppose the coil spacers will give it that little extra for no big expense.

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

If you want to see how much you have lifted the truck, look at your spoiler and the flashing round the porch of nextdoors house... and if you think thats bad, mine lifted 1.5" when I fitted the same springs!
                      Last edited by Chillitt; 26 May 2007, 22:06.
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        If you want to see how much you have lifted the truck, look at your spoiler and the flashing round the porch of nextdoors house... and if you think thats bad, mine lifted 1.5" when I fitted the same spings!

hehehe!! you said spings.

Comment

hehehe!! you said spings.
                          did not!
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Mibbi his keyboad is boke and canni type the lette " " ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                              Those were pretty much my thoughts. For someone who claims to be a founder member of the shiny club, that is really quite embarrasing. Shame on you Copycat. You cant just do superficial shiny you know.
                              Bogus
                              Oh the shame! I've been well and truely rumbled. Okay I admit it, I was nothing more than a 'What You See Is What You Shine' member!

Actually it's not that shiny, photos make it look a lot shinier than it really is. There are quite a few hairline scratches on the wheel arches, not deep you understand but noticable. There are also a few little dings here and there.

I'm stepping down from 'Shiny Club' membership and dropping into the 'I Wash It When It's Really Dirty Club'.

Now, where's that can of spray on mud?
                              Last edited by Scorpion; 27 May 2007, 10:55.

Comment

Working...
                              X