No announcement yet.

Cape Canaveral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its an amazing site...went there in 1988...the Saturn 5 rocket is huge and was outside at that time...the size of the crawlers that take the shuttle out (BIG MACHINE)...its either the flag on the building or the building that houses the shuttle for preparation can fit 50 greyhound buses on it.

even to see the launch pad from a distant is awe inspiring and to think of the guys and gals that sit on nothing but rocket fuel.....
    Gaz

Comment

Well, just got back to Destin after a 1000 mile round trip but BOY was it worth it! The Kennedy Space Centre visit is absolutely awesome!

We did the full 'Nasa Close Up' tour with the extra International Space Station add-on. Best bit for me was when you come from the 1960's original launch centre into the hangar that houses the Saturn 5. It really is a 'stop you in your tracks' moment. You just stand there mouth agape while the size of the thing sinks in! Nothing really prepares you.

As I'm high on Red Bull (I did the last 250 miles of the run back) I'll shrink and post some pics before I go to bed.

The start of it all. It's a very well run attraction. Everything on time, all exhibits work, all clean.

Shuttle mock-up. It's not a real one cos they're in use!

We were lucky enough to see 'Endeavour' on the pad awaiting launch early next month. The orbiter is on the far side, but you can see it's boosters.

The Vehicle Assembly Building, or VAB. Nothing prepares you for the size of this thing. There's no way of getting a real perspective, but check out the size of the (BIG) truck in comparison, and that was about 500 yards closer than the main building. It is feckin hoooooge!

Saturn 5 main stage. Seeing this for the first time was a jaw-dropping moment! Check the size of the people.

Apollo capsule, as fitted to the top of the Saturn 5. Balls of steel. Much respect!

Apollo lander

The ACTUAL launch control centre. Saw action on the three main rocket programmes. There was a simulated launch in progress. This bit was awesome! If someone tells me how to post up the video I will. One of the best bits this!

Launch pad B. Only ever used once for a shuttle launch... the one that only lasted 72 seconds

The crawler road, along which the shuttles are taken to the launch pad. BIG isn't the word!

Anyway, I'll post a few more pics tomorrow maybe.

It's really too much to take in, but it's one of my 'must do before I die' things done.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Totally awesome.............One day i'll have to to that
        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

all them horses and only 55 mph mad
          S S R G is the only way to surf

scottish mud club member kerelawsurf

Comment

Working...
          X