X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Canaveral

Going there tomorrow. A 470 mile road trip in our Chevy Trailblazer

for the weekend

Always wanted to go there! Where awesome history was made...

Will post photos!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

don't work too hard!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      A 470 mile road trip in our Chevy Trailblazer
      Is that 470 miles at 55mph speed limit?!? Never understood American road rules, but never been so no need!

Enjoy the history!

Dave

Comment

Nice truck dude.
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
          Is that 470 miles at 55mph speed limit?!? Never understood American road rules, but never been so no need!

Enjoy the history!

Dave
          Whats to understand.........they're American.
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg

Enjoy the history!

Dave
            Nah, there's some higher speed limits on the interstates.

Booked a hotel for tonight. La Quinta Inn on Cocoa Beach. The hotel that the original Mercury 7 astronauts used to own

The plan is to drive down today, maybe taking in the alligator park at Tallahassee on the way. Sleep. Get to Kennedy early tomorrow, do the tours and drive back arriving back at Destin late tomorrow night. Lie in on Monday, back to work at Eglin on Tuesday, fly home wednesday, arrive thursday AM, beer thursday night, drive to Liverpool Friday PM, home on Sunday and collapse for a few days!

Comment

Nah, there's some higher speed limits on the interstates.

Booked a hotel for tonight. La Quinta Inn on Cocoa Beach. The hotel that the original Mercury 7 astronauts used to own

The plan is to drive down today, maybe taking in the alligator park at Tallahassee on the way. Sleep. Get to Kennedy early tomorrow, do the tours and drive back arriving back at Destin late tomorrow night. Lie in on Monday, back to work at Eglin on Tuesday, fly home wednesday, arrive thursday AM, beer thursday night, drive to Liverpool Friday PM, home on Sunday and collapse for a few days!
              you going to be shattered! nice one. cant wait for the pictures.
              i love the american chevys. no the uk ones, they are korean rubbish.
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

and DONT push any buttons when you get there
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Its a shame you cant go in the bunker that used to hit the launch button for the Gemini missions any more.....Did that tour before they moved the Saturn 5 into that new hanger that was more interesting than going out to the shuttle pad.....now all you get to see is the pad from 3 miles away instead of walking on the beach right beside the shuttle.....And what a sight to watch fly. I watched it from the beach at Coco whilst listening to Nasa Tv on the local amateur radio repeater. The information that was being told was so interesting i couldnt take it all in.

Dont forget to do the Imax films the one i saw was The dream is alive that was great with Lenord Nimoy narrating the film.
                  Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Just arrived at Cocoa Beach where we're staying at La Quinta Inn tonight (the place the Mercury 7 Astronauts owned back in the day). 470 miles, 8.5 hours including an hour stop at Applebees for lunch.

The shuttle assembly building and some launch pads were visible from the interstate on the way into Cocoa Beach.

Gonna go out an have a few beers / something to eat in a bit before an early night and an early start for the sightseeing tomorrow.

Comment

if you do the nasa tour, when you go to see the saturn 5, just remember to hold your hands under you chin to catch it. its an incredible sight. to get onto cape canaveral you will need your passport as well, wont let you on without it
                      TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Got passport, UKMOD pass and temporary USAF pass, should be OK

NASA TV is available in the hotel room here.

Just got a feeling that there will be too much to see in one day. I really want to see all the old stuff, the Mercury / Gemini / Apollo programme stuff more than the Shuttle stuff, so I'll try to bias my visit to those.

Comment

Got passport, UKMOD pass and temporary USAF pass, should be OK

NASA TV is available in the hotel room here.

Just got a feeling that there will be too much to see in one day. I really want to see all the old stuff, the Mercury / Gemini / Apollo programme stuff more than the Shuttle stuff, so I'll try to bias my visit to those.
                          A big beg..... a shuttle patch for rowan
                          www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

now i think on mate, im 99% certain if you do the cape canaveral tour you can still go to see the saturn five in the hanger at kennedy. im off to do the cape tour this year, as swmbo forgot to take her passport to kennedy last year (twice)
                            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Check out the Kennedy Space Centre website, you can do the Space Centre, Astronaut Hall of Fame, and the tour of Launch Pads, Crawler and Assembly Building for $60 (£30) which seems pretty good value and is the one we're gonna do.

We went to the Moon Hut Saloon in Canaveral tonight. Opened in 1958 and a haunt of the astronauts of many programmes. Loads of signed pics and mission patches on the walls, and great food!

After that, we drove to the visitor centre to get an idea of how far it is, and I shot this from outside the gates, and then got chased off by some security guard shouting "Hey buddy! We're closed!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X