Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does rain spoil your tv

Hi

I have given up watching TV due to the rain.

Every time it rains the Sky looses its signal or becomes so disjointed every 2 seconds it's not possible to follow anyone else have this problem.

Do you think I will need a new dish or does rain affect everyones .

We don't have the old terestrial due to the mountains which surround our area.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

With it being a dish based receiver that's effected, you're possibly getting moisture in the LNB or cable. The other, more likely, alternative is slight misalignment of the dish.

Edited to make slightly more sense.
    Last edited by MattF; 21 May 2007, 22:16.

Comment

I get that too during heavy rain. I always presumed that my dish needed re-alingment. It started just after the scaffolding was taken down after the roof was replaced.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Cheers Whant the LNB and can I seal it or something. JB

Comment

If it clears as soon as the rain has stopped then it's as Matt says, the dish is slightly out of line.
          Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

The LNB is the unit in front of the dish where the cable feeds to. Your best course of action would be to get a rigger to check your dish for you. They'll check alignment first, and notify you if there are other problems.

Comment

if all else fails, try taking your telly indoors.
              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                Hi

I have given up watching TV due to the rain.

Every time it rains the Sky looses its signal or becomes so disjointed every 2 seconds it's not possible to follow anyone else have this problem.

Do you think I will need a new dish or does rain affect everyones .

We don't have the old terestrial due to the mountains which surround our area.

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers JB
                When we had a dish it was pointed VERY low towards south IE almost ground level, mibbi you are using the same satalite, cant you get cable up there?

Comment

If you have the standard size minidish, you may need a bigger one - how far north are you? IIRC, the minidishes are only suitable as far north as Manchester.

Have a look here for more information. The rest of that site is very useful for satellite and digital TV stuff as well.
                  You can check your signal strength - RTM for how! Anything less than 50% in dry conditions means you will loose the signal in the rain, as the moisture attenuates the signal.
                  And ditto the bit about moisture in the cable, although this will NOT tend to go away when the rain stops...
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Thanks the dish is about 5 ft from ground it's dark grey full of holes and about 2' across.

Worked ok to start with but not anymore.

We can't get cable just got mains electric recently! we are overlooking the inner Hebridean Islands of Muck, Eigg and Rhum. near Arisaig. 596.5 miles north of Portsmouth.

If I call the Sky company will they have to fix it cos it's their equipment. Somehow I fear they will argue the point and charge a small fortune.

Cheers JB

Ps signal comes back as soon as rain stops
                    Last edited by Highlander1; 21 May 2007, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1
                      If I call the Sky company will they have to fix it cos it's their equipment. Somehow I fear they will argue the point and charge a small fortune.
                      They would have fitted the size of dish appropriate for the location, so that's not your problem. If Sky try to charge you for the engineer to call out and sort the system, tell them you want to cancel the subscription. They will repair it FOC.

Comment

cHEERS mATT WILL TRY THAT ONE TODAY

iHatE cAP LOCKS

Comment

my tv is ok when it rains as its the virgin media cable.
                          but we just have the problem of the variating signal strength through the line. sometimes its too strong or too weak and makes it jump and flicker and pixelate..
                          analogue was so much better. least it just went a little fuzzy - you could still watch it fine!
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

mine go`s off if the dove lands on it he he he ,,, ( easy fix )
                            i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

When you have sky installed, you buy the dish and cable and bos, all of which have a one year warrenty, after that they will charge you to fix it unless you buy the insurance, and that only covers the box, which is a pile of sh1te (amstrad) so insurance at £10/month aint a bad idea.
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X