fuel economy on vegetable oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel economy on vegetable oil

so i finally put some veg through my fuel tank, and with about 20-25% mix ive not noticed any difference in starting compared to diesel what so ever!

now im wondering if although the veg is cheaper, will i get more or less miles per gallon compared to straight diesel or straight veg or somewhere in between.
    what my next step is to go for 50-50% diesel and veg oil mix. ill be using brand new 'makro' oil
    has anyone got any results from theirs?
    im hoping the economy is not worse at all. becuase if it is, then it makes this alternative less useful for fuel.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Well hang in for the tax changes due in the summer before deciding.

I keep hearing, and reading, that you wont have to register with Customs and Excise or pay duty if you use less than 2500L per annum. That could be a huge saving.

Do make sure you're registered if you've veg in the tank, one dip and they could take it away.....

Dave

Comment

id say mine is at least 10% worse wpg on veg.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
        id say mine is at least 10% worse wpg on veg.
        this is what i thought. i wonder if 10% petrol will cure that?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
          Well hang in for the tax changes due in the summer before deciding.

I keep hearing, and reading, that you wont have to register with Customs and Excise or pay duty if you use less than 2500L per annum. That could be a huge saving.

Do make sure you're registered if you've veg in the tank, one dip and they could take it away.....

Dave
          how do i register? i dont know how or where..
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i use new veg oil from the cash an carry, and run up to 80% veg oil depending on the weather (about 160ltrs p/month). never ususally less than 30% . i've noticed no loss in power (likei had with lpg on me jeep), or change in my mpg. 27 - 30 mpg on a good motorway day, 20/ less odd around the town.
            the only real difference is the nice smell.
            it works out more expensive after you pay duty, about 97p ish. but hey.
            definatley register, although i do get the feeling that hmce dont give too much of a $hit about small users. it probably costs them more to collect and admin it that they actually collect.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
              how do i register? i dont know how or where..
              mineral oils reliefs centre
              dobson house
              regent centre
              gosforth
              newcastle upon tyne ne3 3pf

0845 010 9000

Comment

Originally posted by IIIrd
                mineral oils reliefs centre
                dobson house
                regent centre
                gosforth
                newcastle upon tyne ne3 3pf

0845 010 9000
                cant i fill out an online form?
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Nope!

C&E ain't that progressed yet!!!

Dave

Comment

Definitely make sure you register before you put any more in. I don't use the stuff myself, only used it once and then when I saw the state of my fuel filter didn't bother after that.

Having said that, if this new thing comes in, 2500lts without registering I might use it then.

VOSA are hot at the moment. Don't loose your truck over half a tank of veg oil.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                      Definitely make sure you register before you put any more in. I don't use the stuff myself, only used it once and then when I saw the state of my fuel filter didn't bother after that.

Having said that, if this new thing comes in, 2500lts without registering I might use it then.

VOSA are hot at the moment. Don't loose your truck over half a tank of veg oil.
                      sh!t i got a full tank of the stuff in now. and i smell like someone cooking
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Just make sure if you see VOSA get the hell outta there quick. If they smell you frying chips, well, lets just say it wont be the only thing frying!!!

Comment

Just keep filling up with dinodiesel when the tank hits 3/4. Oh, and keep your fingers crossed. I was dipped only a few weeks ago.

Dave

Comment

ive phoned up and asked to register. now they are sending me loads of forms... i get the feeling its going to be a long time before im allowed to put old chip fat in there?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I used put about a litre of petrol in my SVO tank just to clean the funnel and help it combust but I have found that it runs better without the petrol in.
                              -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Working...
                              X