Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed quickly with Towbar

Hi guys,

Am tranporting my Beetle to Donnington race track for its sale and will be using a trailer for the job.

I have a towbar fitted to my surf, but is is not a ball and socket design, rather is has a rectangular hole, where either something fits in or a ball and socket can be fitted to.

It is also wired up, but not sure if it works or even if it is compatible as it was on surf when imported.

Any ideas what type of towbar it is, and whether I can use it or do I need to buy another one?

Please help as I am stuck for time.

Typsey

go to a towbar dealer near you they will recomend the fitment required
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Only Halfrauds! Don't really want to give them the idea that I do not know what I am talking about.

Any ideas?

Comment

you'll have to go to a towbar dealer for the part anyway
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Sounds like a tow hitch receiver that's used in the US. Should be able to buy a ball which fits into the receiver.

http://www.truckxpressions.com/acces...ccessories.htm

US site but hopefully shows what you have.

Comment

Finally managed to get a site, but won't be able to get to me by Saturday

I went to UK dealer and he quoted me £179 just for supply of new towbar! W*nker springs to mind. I told him I could get one for £90 or so and he said good luck. I think, with prices like that, it will be him who needs to the luck

Comment

Have you tried these people.

Towing Centres UK
              Towone Trailers
              40 Havelock Street
              Hessle Rd
              Hull HU3 4JH
              Tel: 01482 225645

Comment

You may have trouble buying the reciever hitch as I've been informed they aren't type approved in the UK, just the rest of the world gets then, as they are far more useful then a normal ball as you fit other stuff in them, but hey, the UK government know best, right?

There is a place in Bedford called USA Automotive, that sells US car parts and stuff, they might be able to get you one. Or order direct from the US.

If you decide to buy a normal tow bar, bare me in mind if you sell the reciever bracket.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  You may have trouble buying the reciever hitch as I've been informed they aren't type approved in the UK, just the rest of the world gets then, as they are far more useful then a normal ball as you fit other stuff in them, but hey, the UK government know best, right?

There is a place in Bedford called USA Automotive, that sells US car parts and stuff, they might be able to get you one. Or order direct from the US.

If you decide to buy a normal tow bar, bare me in mind if you sell the reciever bracket.

Tony do you mean the bars on the site that tasker posted. Only I was going for one . The prices are very low. Ive been after something like this for a while now.

Geoff.
                  Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
                    Tony do you mean the bars on the site that tasker posted. Only I was going for one . The prices are very low. Ive been after something like this for a while now.

Geoff.
                    but remember anything imported from USA has postage, VAT and customs clearing charges to be added!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                      but remember anything imported from USA has postage, VAT and customs clearing charges to be added!
                      Yes I know that but at twice the price they would be worth it to me.
                      Thanks for the pointer.
                      Geoff.
                      Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                        And the chances of getting it by this Saturday are very low.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags

Geoff.
                          Yeah, thats a reciever hitch, they are great, without the hitch in place they don't drag in the ground when offroad like a normal towball, you can get any sort of drop with the hitch to suit you truck height and trailer hitch height. or fit a tow hook, winch bracket, umbrella, table, etc, etc.

Like I said, they are such a great idea, it's no wonder they aren't available in the UK.
                          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by The Typsey Russell
                            Hi guys,

Am tranporting my Beetle to Donnington race track for its sale and will be using a trailer for the job.

I have a towbar fitted to my surf, but is is not a ball and socket design, rather is has a rectangular hole, where either something fits in or a ball and socket can be fitted to.

It is also wired up, but not sure if it works or even if it is compatible as it was on surf when imported.

Any ideas what type of towbar it is, and whether I can use it or do I need to buy another one?

Please help as I am stuck for time.

Typsey
                            What size is the reciever hole ? if it is a standard 2" square you can simply get a 2" square box section with a plate and ball welded on the end and bolt it in, I done this with my front reciever.
                            Keith
                            I never ever apologise for anything. http://www.onestopshopformultimedia.com/smile.gif If you dont like it I am sorry but thats the way I am

Comment

Working...
                            X