2" body lift on the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" body lift on the way

At last i've plucked up the courage (and wonga) to go for the lift. The kit is coming from Jotto (thanks for info m8) who was also very helpful about air ride suspension that i want for the back of my truck.
    The question i forgot to ask Jon and would love an answer to is this,
    when i fit the 2" body lift kit, can i the add 2" coil spacers to the rear without changing the original rear shocks. The reason i ask is because when pulling the boat the suspension needs to be on norm as the truck bounces about too much with it set to hard due to the weight and length of the boat. This makes for an uncomfortable ride and living in the Midlands its at least 2hrs drive to any water. If this is possible where or who can i get some spacers besides 4crawler?
    Last edited by Antshiel; 18 May 2007, 10:22.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

You'll probably be ok, because stock shocks work with +2" springs for road use, you only notice the shock being to short when the axle drops down a hole offroad, the shock will be maxed out becore the spring, losing you a little axle flex.

Your body lift will have no effect on the springs.

I'm awaiting a bunch of coil spacers from the US, let me know if want any, may be cheaper as you won't be paying individual postage. but I won't know the price till I get them and import tax bill!!!!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony, i will definately have a set of those off you, let me know when you get em and i'll sort out payment etc. Thanks m8.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Hi there!
        I notice you have a 1996 Surf, so you have a third generation Surf with a rack an pinion steering system.

How are you going to extend the steering shaft?

I am looking at doing exactly that, a 2" body lift yet a quick check under the car tells me that the steering shaft is at an angle and not vertical. Therefore any vertical lift of the body (and the top bit of the shaft) will result in a displacement of the alignement of the steering schaft at the rag joint. I suppose that one inch lift may be a compromise but 2" ...I am not sure. It will need a steering shaft extension, that is cut the shaft and weld a 2" stick to make it longer yet how do you overcome the misalignement?
        One inch may be Ok with a metal disk spacer over the rag joint.

Are you going to fit the missing body mount bracket?
        http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...er/index.shtml

Comment

cor blimey govenor i own a third gen and after crimbo was considering looking into a body lift etc, but now iv seen whats involved i can see why its not a commonly seen mod. shame really, i know i can do the suspension lift so will have to prob stick at that. or buy a 2nd gen

Comment

Originally posted by Marc1
            It will need a steering shaft extension, that is cut the shaft and weld a 2" stick to make it longer yet how do you overcome the misalignement?
            Far as I know, (and may well be incorrect), the generally used method is cutting a bigger hole in the firewall where the column goes through, and a split tube with clamps for the extension.

Comment

Also La surpertrux do a extension bit for the steering column for the 2nd gen but not sure if they do one for the 3rd gen tho
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

isnt someone confusing body lift with suspension lift here??

doubt the first poster would want a 2" body lift with no suspension lift. he talks about adding coil spacers in his next paragraph i think he meant to say suspension lift but typed body instead.
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by summinelse
                  cor blimey govenor i own a third gen and after crimbo was considering looking into a body lift etc, but now iv seen whats involved i can see why its not a commonly seen mod. shame really, i know i can do the suspension lift so will have to prob stick at that. or buy a 2nd gen

Fitting a 2" body lift to a 3rd gen is just as easy as the 2nd gen but you'll need a spacer to lengthen the steering column. It's a spacer made out of the same material as the bodylift blocks.

p.s. Antshiel fitted the bodylift kit to his 2nd gen.
                  http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33897
                  Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 2 July 2007, 15:00.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Fitting a 2" body lift to a 3rd gen is just as easy as the 2nd gen but you'll need a spacer to lengthen the steering column. It's a spacer made out of the same material as the bodylift blocks.
                    I understand that the only difference between a 2nd and trd genertion body lift would be the steering column since it is rack and pinion. That if we ignore the missing body mount in the center, bat such is another matter.

What is evident from looking at the steering system as it is now, is that I will not be able to fit a spacer that is more than one inch because the rag joint will then rub against the chassis. The only way to do it would be to extend the shaft. In which way it is immaterial. If welding or clamping a split tube.

The shaft will then come down 2 inches and meet the rag joint.
                    The problem as I see it is that the body goes up vertically and the shaft is at an angle. The result is a misalignment even after extending the shaft. The misalignment will be equal to the angle the shaft is at, in relation to the vertical. A guesstimate would be some 15 degrees. Half that, because of the shaft upper U joint.
                    How long can the rag joint take that flex?
                    Has anyone with a 3rd generation done a body lift here?

Comment

apparently so:
                      http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33897
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe

Oh dear, see post 9 on this thread!

Trev!
                        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 3 July 2007, 09:52.

Comment

There's a few examples here.......

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/search...earchid=435244

Comment

Oh dear, see post 9 on this thread!

Trev!
                            yer i know i copied your post
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

When you click that you get this:
                              Originally posted by THE LINK
                              vBulletin Message
                              Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
                              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                              X