LandRover Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LandRover Recovery

Have been promising to take one of my friends off-road for ages, so last night when we got home from work I took him and our daughters around some green lanes that I discovered on the map, around Braintree Essex.

It has been raining since the weekend so they were quite tricky in places but we were all having a good time. We were getting near the end of our trip when two guys jumped out of the hedge waving their arms frantically. So we stopped to find they had got their LandRover completely stuck in a gulley. They were having no luck pulling it out with their RangeRover.

I hooked up the Surf to the tow rope and took over from the RangeRover. Although confident I wouldn't get stuck on my intended route, just in case I'd also packed a shovel. We dug out some of the mud from in front of the wheels and after a few big heaves the Surf roared up the bank with the Landie in tow.

It added some extra entertainment to our trip and has convinced my friend that he must get a Surf, he foolishly sold his for a BMW and now regrets it. Soon as we got home he was on Autotrader.
    We had a laugh with the guys we met, they were pleased we came along unexpectedly on a wet Wednesday evening, we must all be mad or bored. I told them I was going home to put it on the Surf forum, to which they groaned. Forgot the camera though - doh!

Wahay!

You flew the flag well!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBoard
      Have been promising to take one of my friends off-road for ages, so last night when we got home from work I took him and our daughters around some green lanes that I discovered on the map, around Braintree Essex.

It has been raining since the weekend so they were quite tricky in places but we were all having a good time. We were getting near the end of our trip when two guys jumped out of the hedge waving their arms frantically. So we stopped to find they had got their LandRover completely stuck in a gulley. They were having no luck pulling it out with their RangeRover.

I hooked up the Surf to the tow rope and took over from the RangeRover. Although confident I wouldn't get stuck on my intended route, just in case I'd also packed a shovel. We dug out some of the mud from in front of the wheels and after a few big heaves the Surf roared up the bank with the Landie in tow.

It added some extra entertainment to our trip and has convinced my friend that he must get a Surf, he foolishly sold his for a BMW and now regrets it. Soon as we got home he was on Autotrader.
      We had a laugh with the guys we met, they were pleased we came along unexpectedly on a wet Wednesday evening, we must all be mad or bored. I told them I was going home to put it on the Surf forum, to which they groaned. Forgot the camera though - doh!
      LOL... woodzy will be proud of you once he finds out this.
      had the same effect on my mates last weekend at "rtth", now 2 are scanning tinternet 4 surfs.
      zacco

Comment

nice one mate!! welcome to the landy recovery team!!

you gotta get a 'kill sticker' now
        TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

I hope they paid you
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Well it does happen. What Landy was it, and was the Rangey on road tyres?

Good to see we are all helping each other out. Now the whole world is against us 4x4 owners, we ALL have to stick together regardless of what 4x4 we drive!!

Comment

nice one.
              friend run out of fuel just outside of santapod. i towed his landcruiser to the nearest petrol station which was quite far. everyone was surprised that the 2.4 could pull this massive landcruiser up to 40 no problem.
              shame it knackered something on his car though
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                nice one.
                friend run out of fuel just outside of santapod. i towed his landcruiser to the nearest petrol station which was quite far. everyone was surprised that the 2.4 could pull this massive landcruiser up to 40 no problem.
                shame it knackered something on his car though

Was it an auto? As towing it at 40mph in neutral will bug*er up the gearbox? You need to disconnect the props.

Comment

I was happy to help, they were really nice guys. We all had a laugh at their predicament and all got muddy. Happy as pigs...
                  The Landy was a 110. The RangeRover had some semi-mud tyres. I guess he just wasn't being aggresive enough with his tugging. Digging the mud out from the wheels helped big time, easier to pull over than through..

Note: Don't forget your shovel.

And as above, real 4x4s should be uniting..

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBoard
                    I guess he just wasn't being aggresive enough with his tugging.

OooEerrr Missus! Fnar, fnar.
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

"Landrover Recovery" is that the latest model name?
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                        OooEerrr Missus! Fnar, fnar.

Comment

Working...
                        X