Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen cigarette lighter

Help please

How do I get at the cigarette lighter on a 3rd gen.
    It looks like some of the dash needs to come off but which bits and how?

erm... think it comes out with the ashtray??

2 bolts in arm rest cubby, then 2 screws in sides of centre console.
    that slides back

then click the cover off the heater controls and there are more screws behind there.

think that's about it, but can't remember off hand.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

oh, there's a screw on the transfer lever knob that needs to be loosened and the knob taken off for the center console to be moved.

the console kinda lifts a little then slides back... only an inch or 2 to access the dash.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Why are you removing the hairdryer socket??
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Yea my curlers won't work

Comment

This is going form bad to worse!

This thing is driving me nuts!

The was power to the terminal but the lighter socket was dead. Whilst fiddling with it I blew the fuse; wireless went off as well. I have replaced the fuse in the drivers well fuse box box the wireless is now working but the terminal to the socket is dead. Is there an in line fuse on the 3rd gen? and where is it and how do you get at it?

Comment

Is the ignition on? sounds daft but it's exactly what i would do, spend hours trying to fix it when i just gotta turn the key.

Can't imagine there being an inline fuse unless it's been replaced before
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Yes it's dead with the ignition on and off. It's been messed with before I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclist
                  This thing is driving me nuts!

The was power to the terminal but the lighter socket was dead. Whilst fiddling with it I blew the fuse; wireless went off as well. I have replaced the fuse in the drivers well fuse box box the wireless is now working but the terminal to the socket is dead. Is there an in line fuse on the 3rd gen? and where is it and how do you get at it?

Im taking a guess here, but Id say youre not one of the younger members.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

define younger

Comment

I finally got it working. It is possible to replace it without taking any of the dash apart. i got the wires out with some long artery forceps and the parts can be fitted through the hole. This looks impossible but it is like a gordian knot and with a lot of fiddling the wires can be connected and the bits slotted into place through the hole. Replacing the broken bits was easy once I could test them: £25 from Toyota, ordered on the phone arrived in 48 hrs.

Now I can borrow my wife's sat-nav and go to Austria; does anyone know what the regulationions are about chains tyres etc?
                      has anyone experience of using chains; front wheels I gather?

Comment

Originally posted by cyclist View Post
                        I finally got it working. It is possible to replace it without taking any of the dash apart. i got the wires out with some long artery forceps and the parts can be fitted through the hole. This looks impossible but it is like a gordian knot and with a lot of fiddling the wires can be connected and the bits slotted into place through the hole. Replacing the broken bits was easy once I could test them: £25 from Toyota, ordered on the phone arrived in 48 hrs.

Now I can borrow my wife's sat-nav and go to Austria; does anyone know what the regulationions are about chains tyres etc?
                        Ive got some STAINLESS STEEL SURGICAL CLAMPS as well they only throw them away, So im always getting these freebies.
                        Snow chains on the rear wheels as the Surf is rear wheel drive. Steering can cause them to come off at times if fitted to the front.

WIRELESS? ive got a RADIOGRAM in mine 1st gens have the Chrystal set.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by cyclist View Post
                          http://reporting.theaa.com/cgi-bin/r...AA_Austria.pdf

Ideally, you'd have chains on all four wheels but it's not that important. They should go on the drive wheels - presumably still mainly the rear ones on a 3rd gen. Prepare for the most understeer ever and avoid braking - it just makes you crash into snow drifts. Use engine braking, although ABS should help a bit.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X