stupid question of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question of the day

Just got back from Scotland giving the motor its first decent run out since the engine rebuild. Went from Durham to Portpatrick, 186 miles approx with a stop half way. At that point eveything spot on.
    About a mile from the hotel the temp starts to go up. Anyway gets to the hotel and leave to engine to cool off for a couple of hours before checking it. It took 2 litres of water!! First thoughts $$$$! not more trouble.
    On the run back, stop again about half way, giving it time to cool before checking the coolant level. Took about a litre but found the expansion bottle full. Also noticed that there is no pipe inside the bottle to return coolant to the engine.
    Could this the root of my problems i wonder.

Stupid question: Is there a pipe inside the bottle & if so what diameter is it?

Wouldnt what to fit one that was too small.

cheers.
    Which Wychwood would you choose?

on mine there is a tube about 10mm in di and about 5 inches long

Comment

Whatever internal diameter fits on the tube in the lid. It should go almost to the bottom of the expansion tank, but not completely. The deepest part at the far end is to allow gunge/silt to get trapped, so the end of the pipe should stay just above that point. However, if you had to refill with 2 litres, I would also be checking for airlocks. That amount of coolant should not have disappeared even without the hose on.

Comment

Nev

Comment

Cheers lads. Think that explains why i have to keep filling the system every day. God I should have realised!!

Just out of curiosity what coolant would you recommend? At the moment i think most of mine is water and i dont think that.

Martin
          Which Wychwood would you choose?

Comment

I use toyota Red but most people just use everyday stuff ok.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Don't, however, use red unless you're going to do a full flush of the coolant system first. It will not mix with other colours of antifreeze.

Green is my personally preferred option. Has all the benefits of red except for the 5 year lifespan, (I believe green is three year), but will coexist/mix with other colours of antifreeze.

Comment

Working...
              X