Town fuel consumption?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town fuel consumption?

Can anyone shed light on the likely fuel consumption figures for a 2.4 around town , lots of stop / start, no fuel leaks. I get 17 mpg.Is that realistic and would a 3.0 be much the same. Surf has 142000 km on the clock and runs fine with no smoke. Would re-con injectors be the way to go if the figure seems too low?

Originally posted by FOURWHEELER
    Can anyone shed light on the likely fuel consumption figures for a 2.4 around town , lots of stop / start, no fuel leaks. I get 17 mpg.Is that realistic and would a 3.0 be much the same. Surf has 142000 km on the clock and runs fine with no smoke. Would re-con injectors be the way to go if the figure seems too low?
    Sounds about right, 3.0L no different
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

pottering around in my 3.0lt i get about 25mpg, not much less than i do on run.

Comment

Originally posted by grabeck
        pottering around in my 3.0lt i get about 25mpg, not much less than i do on run.
        You're supposed to have the engine running going down hills.

Comment

what......even down the really steep ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

anything from 17/18 to 25 ish is about right..... depends also on tyre pressure, servicing etc etc... i put redex in the tank and it helped with the economy a little...

others that people have commented on are exhausts and snorkels/intake kits????

ttfn

graham

Comment

Town Fuel Consumption

Thanks for all the comments , what would be the optimum tyre pressures for 31/10.5/15 as i will run as hard as possible in search of a few mpg.
              Nice to know i'm not the only one and that there is probably little wrong with the truck that a good service wouldn't cure.
              Cheers,
              Fourwheeler.

Comment

I run about 32 psi in my 31"'s

Fuel seems a little low, I get about 18mpg average, but I got a fuel leak from my pump, was getting about 22mpg before head change and fuel leak, and I mostly do town work, short stop start etc.
                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I get about 21 to 24 mpg on my 3 litre. I try to keep it well serviced, filters, Redex etc so that I achieve decent mileage.

I have to laugh when I see people advertise Surfs on Ebay and claim 30 to 35 mpg!
                  'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

mate put a whole bottle of reddex diesel in, then once thats done put a whole bottle of stp treatment in. the car will feel like a different machine.
                    i think the stp one does something to the octane rating because the car seemed to have more power. then when i filled up with normal fuel and no stp it didnt have as much go. still better than what it used to be though
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
                      I get about 21 to 24 mpg on my 3 litre. I try to keep it well serviced, filters, Redex etc so that I achieve decent mileage.

I have to laugh when I see people advertise Surfs on Ebay and claim 30 to 35 mpg!
                      i didnt want to say anything but i think mine is more like 30ish.. ill actually do a propper test and get back to you.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                        i didnt want to say anything but i think mine is more like 30ish.. ill actually do a propper test and get back to you.

Hi

If ya can work it out - I can't coz I am thick.

I get 300km outta £30. Bout 94p a litre here. That is both on long journeys and stop - start all the time.

How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

ok so i put 20 quid in sunday then pressed the reset on the milometer.
                          £20 @ 97.9p () the needle was just i the red.
                          so far i have done 125km. i think i will do 150, doubt i will get 175 at the rate its being drunk..
                          so,
                          2000/97.9 = 20.43 litres of fuel bought
                          20.43 / 4.55 = 4.49 gallons of fuel bought (for the £20)
                          150km.. divide by 8 and times by 5 = 93.75 miles travelled
                          93.75 / 4.49 = 20.88 miles per gallon
                          WTF????
                          this is an estimate, but to get another 10 miles to gallon to make roughly 30mpg then i would have to do another 40 miles above 93.75 wich would make 214km on £20
                          i dont think so some how.

this weekend im going to stop the oil being breathed in the induction if i can
                          also my free flow exhaust is being made so hopefully those two factors will help the mpg
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

300km outta £30. Bout 94p a litre here...
                            300 = 187.5 miles

£30 into gallons at 93.9p = 31.95 litres = 7.022 gallons (uk mind, not US)

187.5/7.022 = 26.702mpg

is this for a 2.4 bibs?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hi,
                              Over the 3 years I've had my 3L manual it's averaged 26.9 mpg.
                              That's with runs to work (about 3 miles 3 days a week), motorway driving occasionally and the odd trip to France (day trips & holidays).
                              Now and again she gets a bottle of Wynn's injector cleaner.
                              From everyone else's replies that seems very good
                              Ken
                              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X