X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fog light not working ??? any ideas

hi folks ,

took the surf for an mot and it fauled on fog light not working

is this a common fault, where is the use for it the switch on the dash is not lighting up or the actual fog light

the car is a 1992 2.4 model any help would be appriciated , before i sratr looking

regards dave

If you've been off-roading at all check your rear bumper and see if the light's been ripped off .......

Not quite as stupid an answer as it seems - honest !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

thanx for the advice but as stated in the above , i think the examiner and myself would have noticed that at the mot any other ideas

Comment

First, check the bulb in the light is working. Check that there is power to the light and switch with headlights on dipped beam. Check that the foglight is earthed to the bumper properly.

Seems a little petty to fail the MOT on just a foglight.
        Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 May 2007, 12:29.

Comment

checked the bulb its fine, there is no power going to the switch , looked under bonnet and found some fuses but not many r there any other fuses in the vehicle

regards dave

Comment

Originally posted by DAVEHUNT
            checked the bulb its fine, there is no power going to the switch , looked under bonnet and found some fuses but not many r there any other fuses in the vehicle

regards dave

Fusebox down by the throttle pedal behind plastic panel.

As the foglight is a non standard fitment in the 2nd gen Surf, pull the switch out first, as there may be an in-line fuse behind it.

Comment

thanx done that but the 3 wires r not fused and seem to go in to the original wiring loom

Comment

fog light

Hi Davehunt,

First, check that all other electrical devices are working. If they are, then it is unlikely to be a fuse.

Second, if there is definately no power at the switch, attach an appropriate size (1mm) length of wire to the positive of one of the batteries and apply it directly to the positive on the switch. If this works then you have either a break in the cable, or it's off it's connector. Another way of course is to test for continuity on all three wires, providing you have a tester. The ground wire may be ok but the switching wire could have a break or has come off it's connector. Then you'll either have to reconnect or run in new wires.

I shall have a look at my wiring diagrams to see where the cables go. If there is anything odd about the set up, I'll let you know.

Regards

Tony

Comment

Unless someone has done a very professional job then the wires will not go into the original loom as the Surfs are not fitted with rear fogs as standard.
                  Are you sure you have the correct switch?
                  Most of them seem to be a small round switch to the right of the dash and as stated before the lights should only come on with the dipped headlights.
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

ther should be an inline fuse under the dash behind the switch.I only know this as my fog light wasn't working for my mot but some one had put the fuse under the carpet and not behind the dash
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've had this problem. Is your foglight switch a small round rocker switch? If so, check that all three wires are attached on the back of it. It has small terminals and the larger terminals on the wire are not a good fit on the switch.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                      X