Who wants to recondition my engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to recondition my engine?

Because my Surf sounds like a Fiesta, and seems to be getting worse, I either need a new engine, or a recon job. There are a few reasons I can't do this - skill, facilities, tools and time - so anyone fancy stripping it and sorting it - let me know....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

if its anything like a fiesta...the noise that is!! you probably need your shims on your lifters sorting..my head just cracked i got a new bare head and local engine rebuilders swapped all camshaft/valves etc over for about £160 including the shims. i did take the head off and put back on again myself though to save some bucks!!when i eventually got it started it made such a difference in the noise i honestly cant believe it could sound so quiet...even the mrs said we dont have to have the radio on so loud now!!
    DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
      Because my Surf sounds like a Fiesta, and seems to be getting worse, I either need a new engine, or a recon job. There are a few reasons I can't do this - skill, facilities, tools and time - so anyone fancy stripping it and sorting it - let me know....
      You've got some money somewhere for a V8 conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        You've got some money somewhere for a V8 conversion.

Maybe for the conversion, but not the fuel bills!

Comment

Maybe for the conversion, but not the fuel bills!

Actually, if you go for the Lexus V8 conversion, you'll get more than twice the power of the 2.4 and slightly better fuel economy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            Actually, if you go for the Lexus V8 conversion, you'll get more than twice the power of the 2.4 and slightly better fuel economy!!!!

Hmmmmm

What else would I need other than the engine and ECU??? and a totally new fuel system, tank, filter, etc....

Comment

Hmmmmm

What else would I need other than the engine and ECU???

Been doing a load of research into it, and I've come to this conclusion..........

Purchase a Lexus Soarer V8 (Ebay around 1000 quid), whip out engine and trans, plus engine loom and ECU. Fit into truck and sell the rest of the Soarer for spares and get most of the initial outlay back!
              S'what i'm gonna do.

Just need to get confirmation that the Lexus transmission will mate to the Surf transfer box to keep the 4wd.

Oh and the space to do all the work!!

Comment

Been doing a load of research into it, and I've come to this conclusion..........

Purchase a Lexus Soarer V8 (Ebay around 1000 quid), whip out engine and trans, plus engine loom and ECU. Fit into truck and sell the rest of the Soarer for spares and get most of the initial outlay back!
                S'what i'm gonna do.

Just need to get confirmation that the Lexus transmission will mate to the Surf transfer box to keep the 4wd.

Let me know the result - and you could show me how to do mine too!

Comment

S'what i'm gonna do.

if you need help doing this, i should be about. i would like to learn how to do that. that would be a wicked mod as long as the 4wd would take it . suppose it would, were not always in 4wd unless its needed
                  where r u from?
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

south wales! fook.
                    i would come for a day lol
                    used to work for longlife down there
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                      south wales! fook.
                      i would come for a day lol
                      used to work for longlife down there

I live in south Wales, I'm from Reading!

Comment

I live in south Wales, I'm from Reading!
                        Definitely sound like a South Walian, isn't it?
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Definitely sound like a South Walian, isn't it?
                          I've been here 18 years!

Still don't like sheep.

Comment

I've been here 18 years!

Still don't like sheep.
                            lol. at my work there is a A1 pin up of all the different breeds of sheep. until last week i thought there was just sheep.
                            ill come down and lend a hand one weekend when you need it, if you want
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

If you source your motor from a soarer and plan to keep your 4WD then you'll need a sump from an LS400 as the soarer sump setup sits right where your front diff is. Even with that swapped you'll need a custom oilpan (modded or fabbed).

There are 2 ways of getting the V8 transmission to mate up to the transfer case, one involves cutting the output shaft and some other machining that I'm not sure about and is probably the cheaper option.

I decided to have the V8 box stripped down and rebuilt with the surf output shaft and housing which proved to be costly. Mainly due to a lot of replacement parts apparently, as the box looked like it'd been thrashed a bit. Came to 600 quid in the end but I know I've got a solid box that can be controlled by the soarer ECU and so it should shift correctly.

That said, we've not got to the point of starting it up yet so who knows!

If you want to do your wiring yourself you'll save a lot of money but I had Scott at Venom cobras in Brisbane modify my loom and test it and my ECU which came to about 400 quid. He's done a few of these swaps and his advice has been invaluable.

I've had the alternator and starter off and serviced but am considering replacing the water pump and pulleys/tensioners when the timing belt gets done.

As far as cooling goes, the plan is for a large new alloy rad with a large thermo puller fan and a good shroud for it. Also going to add a transmission cooler somewhere under the truck with a thermo fan on. Not sure how much all this is going to cost yet!

Nigel at LA Supertrux is having some headers prototyped on my truck so he should be able to sell you some that fit soon but no unit cost on them yet.

Think the fuel lines and tank should be fine, just need to fit a pump, not sure on cost.

I've got some slotted discs and EBC performance brake pads to help stop the thing a bit better as the brakes were in need of some attention before the head went and I started the project.

All in all, it's not that cheap a conversion unless you can do a lot of the work yourself but I'm still really looking forward to it and I'm going to have the biggest grin in the world when I finally get the old girl back.

If you've got any other questions I might be able to help with just give me a shout.

Comment

Working...
                              X