Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jobs advice (if anyone can help)

hello,
    wondering if anyone has the knowledge that can help me.
    right now im in IT and pretty much dont like it. im quite good at what i do, i have the ability the think logically and work problems out quite quickly and sensibly.
    i was at college last year doing my cisco systems.
    im almost 22. there are a lot of things going on, you could call problems (everyone has them i suppose) but i find it hard to concentrate outside of work. its a lot easier if i shut off by playing computer or watching films.
    im thinking of studying to be an electrician of some sort. may be household or fire alarm installation. i enjoy using my hands to do work, and im not too keen sitting about or around an office all day.
    what sort of salary do that type of job earn? if im going to make a career then i need to know but dont know where to look.
    its either that, or get a pcv licence and drive people for a living. i would find that interesting too. and the money they earn in a day (a long day mind) would nearly make my weeks wage. but just long hours sometimes.

life is $$$$e aint it. cant we all win the lottery?
    Last edited by dieselboy; 1 May 2007, 13:27.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

sounds depressed or what
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
      hello,
      wondering if anyone has the knowledge that can help me.
      right now im in IT and pretty much dont like it. im quite good at what i do, i have the ability the think logically and work problems out quite quickly and sensibly.
      i was at college last year doing my cisco systems.
      im almost 22. there are a lot of things going on, you could call problems (everyone has them i suppose) but i find it hard to concentrate outside of work. its a lot easier if i shut off by playing computer or watching films.
      im thinking of studying to be an electrician of some sort. may be household or fire alarm installation. i enjoy using my hands to do work, and im not too keen sitting about or around an office all day.
      what sort of salary do that type of job earn? if im going to make a career then i need to know but dont know where to look.
      its either that, or get a pcv licence and drive people for a living. i would find that interesting too. and the money they earn in a day (a long day mind) would nearly make my weeks wage. but just long hours sometimes.

life is $$$$e aint it. cant we all win the lottery?
      All our tradesmen are on about £24,000, but they are salaried 37 hours with a van, phone and company healthcare scheme 25 days holiday and 13 bank or local holidays and a final salary pension scheme........

...... but then again we are a bit different. I know becuase with my union hat on I negotiated the terms

I think generally there is a shortage of decent trades people, epecially CORGI registered plumbers and electricians. I did HGV driving for a while before I settled on being a housing officer, but that is mainly office based

Now where did I put them eviction papers
      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Why would you want to concentrate outside of work anyway?

I personally wouldn't bother looking for a new job until I had calmed down elsewhere. Everyone goes a bit mad at about 21/22 and a new job ain't gonna fix that.

In the meantime, why not do a few evening classes in electrics, plumbing, carpentry, vehicle maintenance etc etc and see what you enjoy?

Comment

Get your life sorted.

Stay in IT that seems to be where the money and less stress lay. Stop playing computer games and get out more...games are a waste of time and occupy valuable brain space. It sounds as though you need to confide in some one who is prepared to listen to what you have to say, and maybe offer sound advice back to you.

Hope you resolve your problems and get back on an even keel.

Comment

Stay in IT get your CCNA, then go to London and make money.

IT engineer ( Windows/ NT) can make up to £600 per day

Cisco engineer with a couple of year expirence and your looking at £600 -800 per day

However money isn't everything.
            There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Im in I/T & currently unemployed, People say theres 1000's of I/T jobs out there but i cant find any.
              As you are Young i'd gor for a TRADE.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

half hour after i wrote this, i got a call from a bloke i used to work along side in my job i just left. he is in the server side of things, back ups, installs maintenance etc. he said it looks like he is being promoted and there will be a vacancy on his team. so there is a may be for me there.
                also he said my old team want me back, i negotiated more money. so that will be a good move i think. closer to home = cheaper weekly cost too.

everyone at IT in my level - support/helpdesk dont like it. they say get out, get a trade- which i will do as soon as courses start. im too late this year.
                it is very hard to get a job in IT.
                in january i went for a job with toyota head office for their IT team, money offered was £23k.
                first interview was excellent and i aced it propper. this was with toyotas contractee (if that makes sense)
                2nd interview i was nervous and sort of fooked it up. (with the main toyota office)
                so i knew i didnt get it and carried on looking, then i got a call from their agency and they wanted me back for a 3rd interview for a similar role but more mobile, so working in different main dealer head offices.
                this went well, i was told i would get a car after the trial period. and that the money wouldnt be £23k anymore, but more like £22.5 i said thats ok (it was still a little more than what i was on)
                so 3 interviews, about a week and half went by - to be told they didnt want me.
                basically, if your not tounging bum then your fooked.

thanks for your advice. i do like learning, but i find it harder now. mind wanders. more stuff goes on like, off roading mods, going out, money worries, clothes, shopping and all that goes with it.
                when i was at school i didnt even think about any of that.
                prison is the cure lol
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                  Im in I/T & currently unemployed, People say theres 1000's of I/T jobs out there but i cant find any.
                  As you are Young i'd gor for a TRADE.
                  Yep definitely plenty jobs out there. I applied for 10 a week past Wednesday, got 3 call backs rejected two of them as the money was less than I'm on just now. Had an intervoew on Friday, Had anoth call bacl last night and another this morning.

You need to have you CV online.
                  There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyppe
                    half hour after i wrote this, i got a call from a bloke i used to work along side in my job i just left. he is in the server side of things, back ups, installs maintenance etc. he said it looks like he is being promoted and there will be a vacancy on his team. so there is a may be for me there.
                    also he said my old team want me back, i negotiated more money. so that will be a good move i think. closer to home = cheaper weekly cost too.
                    Get into server side, get some Microsoft training, Citrix and Cisco, then wait work solidly for a few years, then go and make a fortune, travel the world selling your skills.

THats what I'm doing. Hopefully get a job in London soon.

Comment

well i was trying to get jobs with either or cisco or severs - then plan a path from there.
                      think i need a holiday, me and a friend are planning a drive to the alps in august and then accross that very tall bridge thats in the clouds - milau, and then may be south of france or over to italy or something.
                      my truck is up for it
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X