couple of questions for you boffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• couple of questions for you boffins

i got a couple of questions for you boffins to answer plz.
    ( 1 ) what is the original tyre size of the hilux surf.
    ( 2 ) is raising the wheel axles better than havin a body n suspension lift.
    ( 3 ) what is the biggest wheel size i can go to with out all the lifts i got 31's at the min.
    ok im not mechanically minded n dont have alot of money to do the lifts etc n im trying to learn bout my surf etc so plz help as im at the min trying to understand it all

ps.im not mechanically minded so plz bare with me perhaps i mean lower axles im not sure but what im looking at is having the axles to give more ground clearance if you know what i mean
    Last edited by pirate-storm; 29 April 2007, 23:07.

Originally posted by pirate-storm
    ( 3 ) what is the biggest wheel size i can go to with out all the lifts i got 31's at the min.
    ok im not mechanically minded n dont have alot of money to do the lifts etc n im trying to learn bout my surf etc so plz help as im at the min trying to understand it all
    1) I think - 265/70/15s
    2) Surely that would be lowering the height of the vehicle
    3) 31

Just lifted mine by 1.5 inches, and put Landcruiser springs on the rear, +2 shocks on the front (ES3000s) and +3 on the back (ES9000s)
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

31"s are the originals, dont go any bigger without lifting truck as tyres will hit arches on full lock. Lift it any way you like. I'mhaving a 2" body lift soon and may go for the 2" or 3" suspension lift later. 33s to follow.
      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer
        1) I think - 265/70/15s
        2) Surely that would be lowering the height of the vehicle
        3) 31

Just lifted mine by 1.5 inches, and put Landcruiser springs on the rear, +2 shocks on the front (ES3000s) and +3 on the back (ES9000s)
        sorry mud didnt look at it that way told you im not mechanically minded so plz bare with me perhaps i mean lower axles im not sure but what im looking at it having the axles to give more ground clearance if you know what i mean

Comment

sorry mud didnt look at it that way told you im not mechanically minded so plz bare with me perhaps i mean lower axles im not sure but what im looking at it having the axles to give more ground clearance if you know what i mean

If you do a suspension lift, that will make the vehicle higher, raising the axels as it were.

Look at RoughTrax for kits and on here for people with the skills and tools to fit them!
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

The only way of increasing the ground clearance for the rear axle is bigger wheels.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
              The only way of increasing the ground clearance for the rear axle is bigger wheels.
              Or take the axles off and fit some of those nice Volvo C303 portal axles instead - now that would be a nice project - Surfstein off you go............
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Just buy a unimog and stop p1ssing around
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

as has already been said if you want axle clearance the way to go is fit bigger tyres,but in order to do that you will need to do a suspension and body lift,depending on what tyres size you go,im going for 35" tyres so i have a 3" body lift l,c sprung rear end and im fitting 2" ball joint spacers to the front,shocks are es9000 +3 all round.ive have no front axle so i dont have to worry about front drive shaft angles,but you may also need to do a 1" axle drop as well.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

bigger tyres doesn't mean yu need a body lift or suspension lift... you can rip the front wings off and cut the back arches...

much easier!!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

ps.im not mechanically minded so plz bare with me perhaps i mean lower axles im not sure but what im looking at is having the axles to give more ground clearance if you know what i mean
                      1) Yeah it is 265/70r15, should be a sticker near the drivers door with that on it
                      2) Again the only way to gain height is by fitting larger tyres
                      3)On standard 15" rims 31x10.50r15 is the largest size! However If you get some new rims you can go larger, Ive got 265/75/16's on mine! which is about 32" roughly

Comment

I have a 3"body and 2" sus lift, the mud flaps rub on the 33" tyres on full lock so 35" might need some more work to fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X