@ Tallyman re Airguns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Tallyman re Airguns.

Hi Mike, I noticed from the 'Bored Bored' thread that you have and air rifle. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago but had to wait 12 days for a bag to come that I bought fron ebay! I used the time to read up on air gun law but I'm still confused.

In one section it says the gun must be in a bag /case when carried in a public place, then it says the gun must not be carried at all in a public place bagged or not?

It also says that it must not be fired on or near footpaths, and then goes on to describe a footpath as any path were the public have access. Does this mean footpaths through woodland that is normally deserted? I'm not on about designated purpose built footpaths through wooded areas, I mean routes that have been walked for years and have become footpaths. I know you might think I'm soft in the head but I don't like killing animals, I just want the gun for target practice, like I did years ago.

Perhaps I'm not explaining this very well but I hope you get my gist. It's been a long, long time since I had an airgun, and back in those days you could take one virtually anywhere!

Any tips to point me in the right direction please.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

I used to do quite a lot of vermin control and was on good terms with the local bobby and he advised that
    1 should not shoot within 100 yards of public access (roads, paths gardens)
    2 transport your weapon in a case secured in your truck
    3 when walking to your shoot put it in a case uncocked and slugs in a container in your pocket

this sounds a mess on but with the laws at the moment it is better to be safer than sorry as there are plenty of people out there who would like to see you hung drawn and quartered just for owning a gun
    speaking from experience have been shooting rabbits on private land for a farmer when surrounded by armed police and a helicopter?
    as a member of the public had seen us and reported it to the police so they HAVE to take it as a serious public threat to life

Comment

i too have air rifles and shoot rabbits and wood pidgeons and a farm where i have permission to be. people who live near the farm use the fields for walking their dogs but as far as i know they dont have express permission from the farmer to be there. but they dont seem to pleased to see me there with my gun! dont forget that even if your pellet goes over your shooting boundry that is also illegel. so be careful.

It is also usefull to carry a copy of you written permission to be there with your gun, just in case your challenged. Just like owning a 4x4 there are planty of people that think owning a gun is a really bad thing.

What gun have you got? i have a bsa lightning, crossman rabbit stoper (hope to modify when i get round to it), a beretta pistol and a bb rifle (the boys to teach him good gun habits!) all of which are within the legal limits.

good luck and have fun as thats what there are for. I find that shooters are very much into the country side and like to keep in good condition as do most 4x4 drivers. so i dont see why we get so much hassle from enviomentalists .
      it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

[QUOTE=Copycat]Hi Mike, I noticed from the 'Bored Bored' thread that you have and air rifle. Just bought one a couple of weeks ago but had to wait 12 days for a bag to come that I bought fron ebay! I used the time to read up on air gun law but I'm still confused.

In one section it says the gun must be in a bag /case when carried in a public place, then it says the gun must not be carried at all in a public place bagged or not?

It also says that it must not be fired on or near footpaths, and then goes on to describe a footpath as any path were the public have access. Does this mean footpaths through woodland that is normally deserted? I'm not on about designated purpose built footpaths through wooded areas, I mean routes that have been walked for years and have become footpaths. I know you might think I'm soft in the head but I don't like killing animals, I just want the gun for target practice, like I did years ago.

best off joining a club if your only want to shooot targets, they have some good setups and even competitions where targets are set up all over private land ,
        dont do target shooting myself but alot of people seem to enjoy it ,
        used to do a lot of vermin control and still have my rifle which is a theoben r7
        you must carry your gun in a closed case and pellets seperataly as post above says
        dont whatever you do get caught: eek: on private land without permission as you may get done for armed trespass
        Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Gun is a Webley Eclipse fitted with Simmons scope. I didn't realise that it would be so complicated now just for an air gun. I intend to use it sensibly and hopefully within the confines of the law, but as you say even if you're out in the country, on God knows whoevers land it is, you can be severely punished.

I've just read in the local paper of 2 'teenagers' who shot an 85 year old man in the head while he was in hospital grounds! The bullet lodged in his skull behind his eye, no doubt THEIR punishment will be community service and a holiday on safari. It a queer old world, ain't it?

Comment

Hi Jim,

Looks lile the others have beaten me to it. All the info is good, but especially that you can only shoot on land for which you have permission (written if someone else's land) and your pellet must not stray outside the boundary. So shooting in your back garden is OK but make sure you have a good, safe back stop. You should also not shoot within 50 feet of the centre of a road unless in a totally enclosed space (e.g. I've got a 6 metre range in my loft for CO2 pistols and my airsoft guns).

Joker's comment about joining a club is a good one. Mine does airsoft/practical pistol on Mondays, FT rifle on Tuesdays, target air rifle & pistol on Wednesdays, crossbows on Thursdays and .22LR rimfire on Fridays, with the range beiong used by some of the sections on the weekends. You can indulge yourself safely at a club and, if you want a bit of competition, try HFT (Hunter Field Target) which is a bit like hunting but without the stalking and animal killing but still needing the skill to hit metal knock-down targets.

If you wants to know more, have a look at: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/index.php

This is one of the best airgun forums on the web but some of the "old hands" can be a bit sarky with newcomers. I use the same user name on that forum so if you decide to participate I'll look out for you.
            Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
              Hi Jim,

Looks lile the others have beaten me to it. All the info is good, but especially that you can only shoot on land for which you have permission (written if someone else's land) and your pellet must not stray outside the boundary. So shooting in your back garden is OK but make sure you have a good, safe back stop. You should also not shoot within 50 feet of the centre of a road unless in a totally enclosed space (e.g. I've got a 6 metre range in my loft for CO2 pistols and my airsoft guns).

Joker's comment about joining a club is a good one. Mine does airsoft/practical pistol on Mondays, FT rifle on Tuesdays, target air rifle & pistol on Wednesdays, crossbows on Thursdays and .22LR rimfire on Fridays, with the range beiong used by some of the sections on the weekends. You can indulge yourself safely at a club and, if you want a bit of competition, try HFT (Hunter Field Target) which is a bit like hunting but without the stalking and animal killing but still needing the skill to hit metal knock-down targets.

If you wants to know more, have a look at: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/index.php

This is one of the best airgun forums on the web but some of the "old hands" can be a bit sarky with newcomers. I use the same user name on that forum so if you decide to participate I'll look out for you.
              wouldnt recommend airgun bbs some right idiots on there and if you dont agree with fat baz you will be kicked off site with no warning ,yes i was lol

try airgunforum.net much friendlier site
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Tallyman, Joker, Spoofer, Drunkmonkeyboy, thanks very much for your help and guidance, I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to use the rifle after all! Just goes to show if you want advice on anything this is the place to ask. Once again, many thanks. Jim.

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
                  wouldnt recommend airgun bbs some right idiots on there and if you dont agree with fat baz you will be kicked off site with no warning ,yes i was lol

try airgunforum.net much friendlier site
                  Thanks Joker. Didn't know that forum existed. I'll give it a try.
                  Mike G

Comment

Bah!!!!

Guns of any kind should be banned... so should 4x4s... and playstations... and burgers cos kids are fat... and smacking... smoking, drinking... bl00dy ban everything!!! Thats what I reckon!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      Bah!!!!

Guns of any kind should be banned... so should 4x4s... and playstations... and burgers cos kids are fat... and smacking... smoking, drinking... bl00dy ban everything!!! Thats what I reckon!
                      You missed out motorbikes...
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                        You missed out motorbikes...
                        Nah, motorbikes + 40-somethings are a way of keeping A&E departments open
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                          Nah, motorbikes + 40-somethings are a way of keeping A&E departments open
                          OI! I'm not 40+ til a week wednesday!!
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                          X