My Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Day

Just thought i would depress u all. As u all now i work in a crem , had 5 services today which is bad enough but never seems to bother me that much until the last one off the day. A 77 year old man came in and his wife had died but he was taking the service his self which is fine as allot off people do this now. The only think is this couple had been together for 53 years. His wife had had a brain hemerage 18 years ago and all that time he has looked after her, he would not let her go into hospital. Until a few weeks ago when things went wrong and she had to go in. Every night he would lay next to her in her hospital bed and go to sleep , until one morning he woke up with her in his arms and she had past away in the night. For the service he picked 4 off there favorite songs and played them which was heart renching enough , then he tried to talk about her but could not stop crying. I tried to help him through it as much as possible but there is only so much we can do. I have done many services in the 3 years i have been there but none as bad as that one. And after all that the worst thing was is letting him go home to an empty house for the first time in 53yrs. What a $$$$ day. I don't mind saying when i got in my truck to come home i cried. When i got home i just cuddled my children. Live for today i say. Sometimes i question y i do this job. Hope i havent depressed u lot to much, just offloading.

Thank you for reminding us a lesson most of us are all already acutely aware of...

Make every day a good one, find something nice to say to someone you don't yet know. And smile... it'll brighten everyone's day...

Thats why we drive surfs... to keep the grin.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
      Thank you for reminding us a lesson most of us are all already acutely aware of...

Make every day a good one, find something nice to say to someone you don't yet know. And smile... it'll brighten everyone's day...

Thats why we drive surfs... to keep the grin.
      To right couldnt off said it better my self.

Comment

Hi Mitsy,
        What a good post. It just goes to show we all take things for granted and we dont know to what extent until we lose someone special. The part about you hugging your kids almost brought a tear to my eye!
        Sad to say but I think the gentlemen in question will not be far away himself as that is True Love.
        Powered by Toyota!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsy
          Just thought i would depress u all. As u all now i work in a crem , had 5 services today which is bad enough but never seems to bother me that much until the last one off the day. A 77 year old man came in and his wife had died but he was taking the service his self which is fine as allot off people do this now. The only think is this couple had been together for 53 years. His wife had had a brain hemerage 18 years ago and all that time he has looked after her, he would not let her go into hospital. Until a few weeks ago when things went wrong and she had to go in. Every night he would lay next to her in her hospital bed and go to sleep , until one morning he woke up with her in his arms and she had past away in the night. For the service he picked 4 off there favorite songs and played them which was heart renching enough , then he tried to talk about her but could not stop crying. I tried to help him through it as much as possible but there is only so much we can do. I have done many services in the 3 years i have been there but none as bad as that one. And after all that the worst thing was is letting him go home to an empty house for the first time in 53yrs. What a $$$$ day. I don't mind saying when i got in my truck to come home i cried. When i got home i just cuddled my children. Live for today i say. Sometimes i question y i do this job. Hope i havent depressed u lot to much, just offloading.
          SH1t that sounds like a tough day... I feel for the old guy, I really do. I'm a bit of an emotional git meself and find myself with damp eyse even thinking about the loss of those I love. I'd be the same as him. There's no shame in heartfelt tears.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i agree with you all that poor bloke is gonna be lost without his one true love so lets all make the best of life and our kids
            hope your days get better

Comment

Hi Mitsy - what a day...

It puts other jobs, certainly mine into perspective. I think the lesson to hold those close to you that little bit closer and enjoy each day is a great one too - and to be married for 53 years in some achievement today.

Maybe you don't feel like it sometimes, and you said yourself you question why you do the job, but to bring a little comfort during such a time for another person is a real gift and you make a real difference - I'm sure he appreciated the time you gave him that day.

I'm always impressed with peoples ability to handle situations like that, and glad to know you, even if it is just through this forum...
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

WOW thank u guys for everything u said , make,s me feel a bit better about my day now. And i think u are all right i dont think it will be long before he follows his wife and i will be doing his funeral. And i do appreciate every day i have with my family now and i make sure i do the things that make me happy like talking to u lot and surfing. Thanks again guys , Mitsy.

Comment

well credit to you girl
                  and we got it so good hey

i work in a hospital on the maintenance and had to replace a broken double socket by this old ladies bed
                  i told her what i was doing and said would have it fixed in a jiffy
                  she started to cry, saying she did not mean to break the socket.
                  well pops hates to see anyone cry at the best of times
                  so ran round other side of the bed to said lady sat in chair and held her hand and explaned she had not broken it
                  the nurses had by pulling her bed out without unplugging it.
                  she cheered up and said thankyou.
                  when i finished said there you go all done and again she started to sob.
                  well i was starting to fill up myself now
                  held her hand rang nurse call and when nurse came we managed to convince her the nurse did it

you do a tough job mitz take my hat off to you if i was wearing one
                  Enjoying Life after Cancer
                  Pops

Comment

Sorry to tell u guys but got another shat day this friday as we have a two week old baby in who was born prem but managed to survive a couple of weeks before she gave up. Her dad is taking the service. But in the end i shouldn't winge at least i can go home to my kids. Still not looking forward to that day thoe.

Comment

My mate works as head porter in Gateshead Queen Elizabeth hospital and he tells us some sad tales now and again. He is one upbeat guy and is always laughing and joking, I suppose it helps when times are tough. He never goes into great detail but says that coping with the death of kids is the worst possible part of the job.

I thank God that there are people like him and Mitsy who are prepared to give solace and comfort to others in their times of need. I know I often complain I have a rough time at work but it's a walk in the park compared to their jobs.

Anyhoo, enough of the maudling stuff, I'll get back to posting some happier stuff soon.
                      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Working...
                      X