No announcement yet.

Wheel bearing gone, can i drive on it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearing gone, can i drive on it?

Here we go.
    My intermitent whirring noise turned out to be a rear bearing on its way out. It has completely gone and fluid has pi$$ed out all on the pads as expected.
    Now i have taken it to a place called Car Klinic in Bulford (for the salisbury guys here) and they are quoting me around £250 for the job with labour and bits as they tell me its a pain in the ass to fix. Also my anti roll bar bushes are shot so they will replace them also but at extra cost. So im probably looking at under £300 for this work
    Now the question is do i tell them to not bother and risk driving it to tonys or not.
    Its making quite a dreadful noise when driven but tonys is only 30 miles away so is it safe???
    Kite Surf

I would give tony a ring and ask if he could stick it on a trailer .
    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Ok i have just rang the garage and they have just got the parts in stock now so looks like they will be fixing it!
      Kite Surf

Comment

if you've not given them the go-ahead then they shouldn't get the parts...

it is a pain in the ass job though...

make sure they get genuine toyota seals, last time i spoke to tony he said he'd had some trouble with the aftermarket parts.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

do you mean under £300 just for the anti roll bar bushes???

that should be about £50 job.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I've had rear wheel bearings done on a 3rd gen and a 1st gen by a local garage. Both times cost around £130-£150 (each).

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
              do you mean under £300 just for the anti roll bar bushes???

that should be about £50 job.
              £300 ish for the whole job inc the bearing. It does sound steep but its on the ramp as we speak being dealt with!
              Kite Surf

Comment

Working...
              X