KZN 185 lack of power.....any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN 185 lack of power.....any ideas?

Just happened all of a sudden yesterday, 98 3rd gen kzn 185, engine lacking in power as if the turbo was not functioning, there are no noises or smoke or any other symptoms really, on lifting the bonnet i noticed a noise like a vacuum noise of something lifting/sucking, now i am not much of a mechanic with a diesel motor so bear with me.The turbo seems to be whistling when i rev it at a standstill, the item marked with red has an arm on a spindle marked yellow, which when i rev the motor the arm moves into the casing and back out, whilst it is doing this there is a distinctive lifting/sucking noise coming from this area, is this normal?
    On tickover the arm is at it's lowest position, when revved it will move upwards and if the revs are kept constant it will stay up, if the revs are varied it drops back down, any of you helpful lot got any ideas please???
    What is this item marked with red X?

The item marked blue is the TPS i take it? What is the item marked green?

In the picture below, is the turbo marked with the yellow T, also what is the filter marked red F? sorry for all the questions folks, if it had been a motorbike i would have no problems, but diesel motors, well, you can see from this thread i am a numpty when it comes to diesels.......

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

The part with the ? is the EGR valve, and could be sticking. It's not needed for this country's emmision regulations so just pull off the rubber pipe from the top, bend it in half and tie it with a cable tie to seal it closed.

The small filter is a one way vacuum valve.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      The part with the ? is the EGR valve, and could be sticking. It's not needed for this country's emmision regulations so just pull off the rubber pipe from the top, bend it in half and tie it with a cable tie to seal it closed.

The small filter is a one way vacuum valve.
      Cheers mate, i will do that now and see what happens.

What is the item markes with a red X and it's function?

Thanks for your help dude

Comment

It looks like the shut down valve, it helps turn the engine off smoothly. Try disconnecting it and blocking the pipes, it could be sticking and trying to turn the engine off all the time.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          It looks like the shut down valve, it helps turn the engine off smoothly. Try disconnecting it and blocking the pipes, it could be sticking and trying to turn the engine off all the time.
          Tony, i take it you mean the item marked redX and not the EGR?

Cheers

Iain

Comment

Originally posted by rsvr
            Tony, i take it you mean the item marked redX and not the EGR?

Cheers

Iain
            Yup.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X