X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 litre petrol 2nd gen

I didn't know these even existed.

Not that that's any reason to want it.

he is a touch less than polite about 2.4s too...
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Not many 2.0 models around. They are YN130 models, made up to July '91
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

2 grand for that? This guy must be an eternal optomist! Plus I haven't read such a biased description for a long time. Dream on fella. (Bummer, can't get the smilies to work).
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

i copyed & pasted the slating remarks whilst asking the question to him

wtf?

i also reported him to ebay for misleading information.
          Last edited by huff_diggler; 13 April 2007, 14:46.
          The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by huff_diggler
            i copyed & pasted the slating remarks whilst asking the question to him

wtf?

i also reported him to ebay for misleading information.
            He's not done to much wrong, 2.4's DO have a head issue! Whats the problem?
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

CAUSE THEY ARE ALL FAILURES BY TOYOTA . ALL 2.4 TD HAVE A CYLINDER HEAD PROBLEM YOU CAN ASK ANYONE ON THIS AND IF THEY KNOW THEY WILL TELL YOU FOR A FACT.

no they don't

are they ALL failures by toyota.

ALL 2.4 td?

i'm going to find out more on this, to my knowledge my 2.4 hasnt had a head job, runs sweet, maybe underpowered, i'll find out some hard facts
              The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                2.4's DO have a head issue!
                so do 3.0l
                The benchmark....

Comment

right.

type in google

toyota 2.4td head problems, you should type in exactley how i've typed it.

then just change 2.4 with 3.0, v6 (without td) then 2.0

should then find the same results.

1-4 ,1 being worst for problems...

1- v6 178.000
                  2- 3.0 td 62.400
                  3- 2.0 46.400
                  4- 2.4 td 44.200

this actually makes the 2.4td the most reliable engine amongst the 4 shown
                  we are not talking models of vehicle either. just engines.

that my dear chaps is hard FACT.

if you really want me to break it down into statistics...

you can also add cracked head to the search by removing the head problems. i.e toyota 2.4 td cracked head.

the results are more suprising still.
                  The benchmark....

Comment

right.

type in google

1- v6 178.000
                    2- 3.0 td 62.400
                    3- 2.0 46.400
                    4- 2.4 td 44.200

if you really want me to break it down into statistics...

you can also add cracked head to the search by removing the head problems. i.e toyota 2.4 td cracked head.

the results are more suprising still.
                    If you were to breaki t down by statistics, you'd need to know how many were built of each model and relate that to the number of problems. Also the number of web pages doesn't mean that number of problems.
                    There are 10 kind of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

'There's no place like 127.0.0.1'

Comment

Bet its under powered
                      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

right.

type in google

1- v6 178.000
                        2- 3.0 td 62.400
                        3- 2.0 46.400
                        4- 2.4 td 44.200

That's a good start. Now you just need to read all 331,000 pages to find out what they say and check for duplicates. Then you need to compare them to the number manufactured. Then you need to factor in the number that have never been reported, the number pre-dating the internet etc etc.

The generally accepted truth in all of this is:

- The 2.4s have an inherently weak head which cracks if they overheat. It is an accepted fault, that's why Toyota redesigned the head on the 2.8.
                        - The 3.0s can also crack but this seems to be a time thing, rather being related to a single incident of overheating. I think I have read somewhere about a modified head on the some 3.0s but I have no idea where.
                        - The V6s blow their original head gaskets, mostly because they are very early non-asbestos gaskets, which are not really up to the job.
                        - The 2.0s probably have some problems too.

The advert is a bit over the top, but I only put it up out of interest as I'd not seen that engine in a 2nd gen before. I wasn't expecting anyone to get upset.....

Comment

It may appear that the V6 Petrol is the worst of the bunch, but you need to take into account the number of V6’s sold (as 4Runners) in the US…

Once the head gaskets have been done you have a good strong truck that can easily do over 300,000 miles. The Americans put far higher average miles on their Toyotas than we do and tend to keep them a lot longer too.

If you can afford the fuel, the V6’s are the best of the bunch….. isn’t that right Sancho
                          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                            If you can afford the fuel, the V6’s are the best of the bunch….. isn’t that right Sancho
                            Well, it's certainly a lot quicker, quieter and smoother than a 2.4. It's a little bit gutless though, and the 3.0TD generates and awful lot more torque. I guess it depends on what you want it for. I like mine .

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                              That's a good start. Now you just need to read all 331,000 pages to find out what they say and check for duplicates. Then you need to compare them to the number manufactured. Then you need to factor in the number that have never been reported, the number pre-dating the internet etc etc.

The generally accepted truth in all of this is:

- The 2.4s have an inherently weak head which cracks if they overheat. It is an accepted fault, that's why Toyota redesigned the head on the 2.8.
                              - The 3.0s can also crack but this seems to be a time thing, rather being related to a single incident of overheating. I think I have read somewhere about a modified head on the some 3.0s but I have no idea where.
                              - The V6s blow their original head gaskets, mostly because they are very early non-asbestos gaskets, which are not really up to the job.
                              - The 2.0s probably have some problems too.

The advert is a bit over the top, but I only put it up out of interest as I'd not seen that engine in a 2nd gen before. I wasn't expecting anyone to get upset.....
                              a sound man of reason

but in all truth, i never mentioned models of vehicle, only engine size, on a global scale.

landcruiser share the 3.0l td lump, 2.4 lump is also to be found in various models, hi-ace van , hi-lux pick up etc.

i find it comical that the main of the discussion leans toward 2nd gen surfs, as a 'don't go near!' is 2.4td.

when realisticly speaking the v6 has far more units out there in the field, globaly.

but the real close call is the 3.0l, a bit to close eh? duplicates aside etc.

truth of the matter is, when your heads time has come.....
                              The benchmark....

Comment

Working...
                              X