speed check box on side of road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed check box on side of road

ok ok im new n still got a lot to learn so give me a chance also im not mechanically minded.
    while going through a 30 zone a speed check box on side of road tells me to slow as im in a 30 mile hour zone but on my speedo im doing 30 or just under that, im sure the guy i bought it off said it does 10% so 30 =33 to which im told is legal how can i check im doing the correct speed or does the speedo have to be reset?

check it against a sat-nav speed reading.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

or do what i do and put your foot down by a police speed trap let them pull you over and they will soon tell you how fast you were going.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
        or do what i do and put your foot down by a police speed trap let them pull you over and they will soon tell you how fast you were going.
        difference between us 2.4 owners and the stein is we'll need to put our foot down 2 miles in advance of said police camera in order to get the speed up!
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

think i need 3 miles just to give them a chance with the lol

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
            think i need 3 miles just to give them a chance with the lol
            if you want on Thursday when your over then we'll go on a run along the A30 and do a speed check. i'LL do 70 and you see what speed yours says when were side by side for a short distance if there's not much traffic
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

re

..my 2.4 reads high. the speed readers always say 10-15% lower than the speedo says.

which is good as far as speed cameras i suppose.
              Biggus Truckus..

Comment

if we could rich thatll be good i cant work out why the speed box says im going faster except from what i said when we first met

Comment

Never quite sure whether to trust the sat-nav or the speedo, if I'm doing 70 on the sat-nav speed , my clock is reading 80. 30 on the sat nav is 34 on the speedo.
                  If the sat nav is correct and I stick to the speedo reading I'll never get caught speeding

Andy.

Comment

so is it a thing when they put UK speedo in a import n they havent set it correct?
                    Last edited by pirate-storm; 9 April 2007, 16:51.

Comment

the sat nav doesn't tell you the speed you're actually doing, it says the speed you've just done (if that makes sense?)

i'm never sure if they're accurate or speedo's always read under...
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i suppose it also depends on what size tyres your running too.
                        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Quite!

31" mud tyres give the most accurate speedo reading, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                            Quite!

31" mud tyres give the most accurate speedo reading, apparently.

I would agree with that, GPS is meant to be very accurate and with 265/70/16 muds (Just a little bigger than 31") at 30, 40, 50 my speed is spot on with GPS, but at a speedo of 65 I'm only doing 61 ish so as you get faster in becomes less accurate.
                            I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
                              so is it a thing when they but UK speedo in a import n they havent set it correct?
                              All speedo's in all cars are inacurate. that said they are accurate at 30 mph on test m/c when car is designed. the difference / inaccuracy occurs due to tyre tread wear / tyre make / road conditions / wear in gearbox etc etc - which is why coppers allow a 10% margin before they'll nick you.
                              I once got pulled at 4 in the morning - dry road - no other traffic doing 33.4mph in a 30 zone !!!
                              when my speedo reads 70 - my sat nav says 63mph. wether that'll stand up in court is a different matter!!
                              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X