New Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Camera

Well, I went out and blew some wedge ( credit card) on a new Nikon D40 with two lenses, one 18-55 and one 55-200.

Charged the battery and just spent an hour resetting the defaults so ( hopefully) the pictures will be better.

I'll go out tomorrow and get some shots, and post some, if I can work out how to
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Originally posted by plumb bob
    Well, I went out and blew some wedge ( credit card) on a new Nikon D40 with two lenses, one 18-55 and one 55-200.

Charged the battery and just spent an hour resetting the defaults so ( hopefully) the pictures will be better.

I'll go out tomorrow and get some shots, and post some, if I can work out how to
    dont know anything about cameras but it looks the dogs danglies.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

$$$$$$ REPORTERS
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
        dont know anything about cameras but it looks the dogs danglies.

Only taken a couple of pics indoors, in poor light, but it seems to be pretty good, especially using the auto fill flash.

At the end of the day the camera is only a light proof box and the pictures should be the result of the photographer, ( in my case they'll be cr*p then) but the technolegy makes life easier.

In my case the camera should pay for itself within a year due to the cost of developing film, most of my pics are animal/wildlife and I tend to throw about 90% away as I use a motor drive, but still have to pay to have them developed.
        Rob

Comment

can i ask how much you paid for it as i have been offerd one for £275 is this a good price or am i being over charged
          I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

www.nikonians.org you will get loads of tips and tricks from there.......

I use the D70 with some good results
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by kiowa
              can i ask how much you paid for it as i have been offerd one for £275 is this a good price or am i being over charged
              It was a kit from Jessops comprising; Nikon D40, 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens, 1GB SD card, and camera bag. £509.00.

The D40 is te latese odel, and has only been out fir a few months in UK, and I'd be dubious about buying second hand digital camera's ( SLR's) in this price bracket.

When you work it out it cost about £60.00 more than the best price on ebay, and I got free bag.
              Decided to buy local as the ones on ebay are all foriegn imports, even though they say they are not.
              The UK models have the 240 volt mains charger in, and full software and a proper manual (not a copy)

For the extra £60 I get a proper warrenty which I tink is important on moderd digital equiptment, it ain't worth the hassle if it goes wrong, coz you can't take it back to ebay!

And Nikon UK may not honour grey import warrenty.
              Last edited by plumb bob; 6 April 2007, 23:07.
              Rob

Comment

I just bought a Fuji S9500 from my dad for 1p

Comes with bag, batteries & charger, 2Gb CF card and 1Gb micro drive - dads are good!
                Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

The camera is okay but the lenses might let you down. I made the mistake of buying two 'cheap' Nikon G lenses a couple of years ago when I bought my Fuji D-SLR. It's worth while investing in the Nikon ED professional series lenses when finances allow as the difference is astounding if you are at all critical about image quality. The 70-300 Nikon G lens I had was the worst offender- look at the coulor fringing/purple haze around the the highlights in the photo's below:

Then I bought a Nikon 80-200 Nikon ED lens. The quality of my photos was much better- sharper, more contrast and no dreaded colour fringes!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80200afs.htm

Comment

Both lenses are DX ED, so picture quality should be good, BTW, I have Ken Rockwell.Com on my favs it's a very informative web site, so thats why I took his advice on the D40,

Check out his review of the D40,

I've been playing with it indoors, and I love being able to see the pics immediately, no waiting for 7-10 days for them to be developed and posted back, or going to boots and letting them f*ck up the developing.
                    Last edited by plumb bob; 7 April 2007, 00:37.
                    Rob

Comment

Both lenses are DX ED, so picture quality should be good,
                      Should be okay then- get some photo's posted soon!

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                        Should be okay then- get some photo's posted soon!
                        Took 475 pics in an hour and a half, battery still shows full charge......fantastic!
                        Photo's posted on web album, see new thread. Cheers.
                        Last edited by plumb bob; 7 April 2007, 15:21.
                        Rob

Comment

Working...
                        X